E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Oil Condensation' and 'Chamfered Brakes'

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 550 in for two issues:
1) oil change (scheduled)
2) nagging squeaky left front brake that, after 3 trips to the dealer, they still can't seem to silence.

1) Oil Condensation
When I recieved the car back, I turned the car on and there was a low oil warning between the speedo and odometer. So, I checked thru idrive to get more info. What was strange was the Oil Check was displaying OK, but when I checked the oil level, it indicated I needed to add a quart. The dealer took the car back and started their diagnosis. They claimed that when you change oil, there is condensation in the new oil that fouls the oil sensor and it just needs to burn off. They procceded to run the car for 15 minutes at 4K rpm. The oil level then displayed full. Problem solved. I suppose what they did worked, but I have never heard of anything like this caused by condensation in new oil.
Has anyone heard of this?

2) Brake Noise
Next, they tried fixing that squeel from the right front brake. THey messed with the sensor and said they chamfered the pads. I thought the pads were already chamfered, but I'm not sure. Anyway, after a few miles after leaving the dealer, the squeel comes back. After 3 trips, they cant get the noise to stop. They give me the line that BMW has high performing brakes and sometimes they make noise, but I've owned BMWs for years and never had this problem, also the other 3 brakes on the car are quiet. Both pads and rotors have over 60% life left according to the techs.
Any advice to get squeeling to stop?

Thx
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rfplant' post='897338' date='Jun 1 2009, 09:05 PM
Took my 550 in for two issues:
1) oil change (scheduled)
2) nagging squeaky left front brake that, after 3 trips to the dealer, they still can't seem to silence.

1) Oil
When I recieved the car back, I turned the car on and there was a low oil warning between the speedo and odometer. So, I checked thru idrive to get more info. What was strange was the Oil Check was displaying OK, but when I checked the oil level, it indicated I needed to add a quart. The dealer took the car back and started their diagnosis. They claimed that when you change oil, there is condensation in the new oil that fouls the oil sensor and it just needs to burn off. They procceded to run the car for 15 minutes at 4K rpm. The oil level then displayed full. Problem solved. I suppose what they did worked, but I have never heard of anything like this caused by condensation in new oil.

2) Brake Noise
Next, they tried fixing that squeel from the right front brake. THey messed with the sensor and said they chamfered the pads. I thought the pads were already chamfered, but I'm not sure. Anyway, after a few miles after leaving the dealer, the squeel comes back. After 3 trips, they cant get the noise to stop. They give me the BMW has high performing brakes and sometimes they are louder, but I've owned BMWs for years and never had this problem, also the other 3 brakes are quiet. Both pads and rotors have over 60% life left according to the techs.
Any advice to get squeeling to stop?

Thx
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Contributors

Have you tried bedding in the brakes according to the following process? http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Sometimes (even with older brakes), a good bed-in process will cure a squealing brake.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rfplant' post='897338' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:05 PM
1) Oil Condensation
I never heard of this. Anyone who changed his own oil had this?