E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Change after Break-in period.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

When is the 1st scheduled oil change supposed to take place by BMW ?
Old 04-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Ballpark, 15,000 miles, but the dealer will go by the onboard computer. It monitors the oil quality and it will signal when it's time to change. Someone also said that the dealer will do it annually if the computer doesn't say it's time...
Old 04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Apr 5 2005, 05:06 PM
Ballpark, 15,000 miles, but the dealer will go by the onboard computer.? It monitors the oil quality and it will signal when it's time to change.? Someone also said that the dealer will do it annually if the computer doesn't say it's time...
[snapback]111581[/snapback]

So according to BMW I'm not supposed to change oil on a new car 'till 15k miles ???
Old 04-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

The car schedules oil changes based fuel consumption, and probably the number of cold starts - of course in combination with how much you drive for every start. Usually every 25 000 km.

I changed oil after the break-in and prior to driving 8000 km across Europe this summer, and I would doubt doing so hurts the engine.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

Originally Posted by Gadgets' date='Apr 5 2005, 05:08 PM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Apr 5 2005, 05:06 PM']Ballpark, 15,000 miles, but the dealer will go by the onboard computer.? It monitors the oil quality and it will signal when it's time to change.? Someone also said that the dealer will do it annually if the computer doesn't say it's time...

So according to BMW I'm not supposed to change oil on a new car 'till 15k miles ???
[snapback]111582[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think it's based on your fuel consumption (mpg) , which is based on how hard you are driving it. That determines how many miles until the computer flags the need for an oil change. As stated above, the dealership will change it at 12 months even if the computer does not indicate it's ready yet. I change mine for $80 at the dealership (anymore than that and you are getting ripped off). $80 bucks is a drop in the bucket compared to what I have into this car, so it gives me a little piece of mind...after all, I own it.

SveaRike
Old 04-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Gadgets' date='Apr 5 2005, 06:08 PM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Apr 5 2005, 05:06 PM']Ballpark, 15,000 miles, but the dealer will go by the onboard computer.? It monitors the oil quality and it will signal when it's time to change.? Someone also said that the dealer will do it annually if the computer doesn't say it's time...

[snapback]111582[/snapback]
[/quote]
================================================== ===

Hi Gadgets

BMW NA recommends synthetic oil change every 15,000 or every year which ever comes first, (SEE BELOW).

My BMW dealer changes me $69.95 + Tax for the synthetic oil change. (BMW Maintenance covers one oil change, then I pay for one out of pocket)

I was told by a mechanic that BMW's come pre broke in and really don't need a break in oil change, but personally I would not hold much stock in that remark, has anyone else heard that remark before?

Hope this helps,

Raymond Presley

================================================== ===
Dear Mr. Presley:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding oil services for your 2004 BMW 530i. We appreciate your inquiry.

Your BMW is equipped with a service interval indicator which will alert you of the proper time to service your BMW. BMW uses synthetic high-performance oil which allows you to drive approximately 15,000 miles between oil services. However, driving conditions will have a major influence on routine maintenance requirements.

BMW recommends changing the oil in your vehicle once a year if you do not drive enough miles for the service interval indicator to alert you that a change is necessary. This oil service will be covered under the BMW Maintenance Plan.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,
Jay Grigalunas

Customer Relations and Services
Representative
Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by Gadgets' date='Apr 5 2005, 12:34 PM
[quote name='MarkLL' date='Apr 5 2005, 02:26 PM']Do you need an oil change at 1200 miles by your own decision or did you car's computer indicate such??
My car gave such a message about the same time and it was a mistake.? In four months I have had the check engine light now go off 4 times indicating excessive auto emissions.? It has been determined that there is a bug in my computer software and my dealer is awaiting an upgrade patch from BMW.
[snapback]111503[/snapback]

Naaaa... none of that... Just want to change oil after brake-in... it is known and recommended.

A new engine shells lotsa metal scraps when new..
[snapback]111510[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is old info. When you change your oil, please take a pic of all the metal scraps in the oil...
Old 04-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

[snapback]111510[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is old info. When you change your oil, please take a pic of all the metal scraps in the oil...
[snapback]111618[/snapback]
[/quote]

No need, I saw my friend's M3 oil filter after his first change... You will stop laughing after you'll see what's running through your engine cylinders the moment we speak..
Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Angry

BMW or not do you really wanna wait until 15,000 miles for your FIRST oil change?

Do not be penny wise and pound FOOLISH!
Old 04-05-2005, 04:31 PM

Lightbulb

If you have money as well as a car to burn then by all means wait until a year or 15k for the initial oil change.

Quick Reply: Oil Change after Break-in period.