E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Change after break in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

My gut tells me to change it, because like said, I don't want the warrantee to run out and be wondering if it was because I neglected to change something so simple
Old 05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by 05E60Black545i' date='May 2 2005, 07:23 PM
I know I've seen a post on this some time earlier, so if someone can send that thread that would be cool, but I am currently in the break in period and when I picked up the car I asked them about changing the oil after 1200 miles and they said no, due to the new technology in engine building there are no metal shaving and such, but I find that hard to beleive and was just wondering what I should do, and if I am to change it, I was going to do it myself, any suggestions on if I should do this, or follow on what the dealership advised?
[snapback]123163[/snapback]
My 545 is over one year old with the original oil, clean as if it were just changed, and none needed to top up yet.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I plan on changing mine at around 4 to 5K miles. I was going to change it at break in but got lazy and at $100 I decided to wait till half way though its life then change it. then get the free one at 10K and then pay for another change at 17K miles. or yearly whavet comes first.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Contributors

I went the full run too. Well actually down to 1000km left on the service indicator. The only thing fishy is I showed up at the dealer with 5W-30 like the manual says and they refused to put it in They said the valvetronic engine requires 0W-30. Just FYI for those DIYers out there
Old 05-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 2 2005, 09:52 PM
Lots of opinions on this one (also whether you should follow the recommended break in procedure, which I always do).?

I've always had the oil & filter changed after break in (just did it at 3,000 miles).? I have to believe that as the engine parts break in there will be gunk in the oil (and filter) that would be good to get rid of.? I also always changed the oil & filter twice as often as recommended (3,000 miles before synthetics, 7,500 miles now).? Small price to pay to keep the internal engine parts clean, which can't be a bad thing.
[snapback]123234[/snapback]
I'm on the same program as you.$80.00 is a cheap price to pay to have piece of mind.
cheers
vern
Old 05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I am a clean oil fanatic. True, the engines run much cleaner (less blow-by) and with fuel injection they have cleaner mixtures, hence cleaner oil. Also, the engines are cleaner coming from the factory.

However, I have always changed oil faster than the recommended. On a previous GMC truck, at 200k miles the engine was as tight as when it was new and did not use anymore oil.

So, I figure with the cost of these cars, the investment in clean oil is a plus. You don't have to change it faster, but I don't see where it can hurt.

I changed my oil right after break-in (1250 miles). I am also changing it at 1/2 of the recommended (7500 instead of 15000). I will let BMW do thier 15k services.

I used the BMW jack to lift the car - probably not recommended. In fact I just ordered the plastic attachment for the jack that I can retrofit to my floor jack so I can lift the car at the proper place.

BMW has designed this car right and it is extremely easy, you just need some metric allen wrenches. There is a little cover to remove to expose the oil drain plug and filter. The filter actually has a drain plug on it so you can drain the filter before removing the filter housing. The position of both is such that you can drain the pan and filter at the same time.

The full job takes all of about 20 minutes - the most expensive part is 8.5 quarts of Synthetic oil - ouch!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Here is my favorite oil change quote:

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."

It is from http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I'm following normal BMW schedule. First oil change will be at 18000 miles.
These are not V8's from 15 years ago. Neither is the oil technology.

Changing the oil won't do any harm. This is not the question.
The question is why go against the people who make the engines.

Transmission and diff are lifetime. No one here changes it, because obviously they trust BMW on that. So why not the engine reccomendation?

I too had an old Ford Falcon V8 302 Windsor in Australia. Changed the oil as often as I could. It's a different story nowadays though.

But if it makes you feel better : it's a free world....mostly !
Old 05-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='May 3 2005, 12:04 PM
Here is my favorite oil change quote:

"Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it."

It is from http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
[snapback]123499[/snapback]
That is an interesting report. It seems like they base this off of the concentration of wear metals over the oil life period. It also seems that the oil life is increased by having to top off the levels.

If BMW's oil life monitoring system is anything like GM's, it is a fairly complex algorithm that takes into account all factors that contribute to oil life. So, you are probably fine going the full life on your oil. And, I am sure, BMW is not pushing the oil life just so it seems like there is no maintenance required. After all, I assume they want the long term reports of engines running well over 200k.

There are also oils like AMSOIL that has a version they say is good for 25k miles.

Just the same, I think I am going to stick with my 1/2 intervals (not every 3k miles). It makes me feel good.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 4 2005, 12:15 AM
It makes me feel good.
[snapback]123579[/snapback]
I have always enjoyed changing the oil in my cars. It is very therapeutic to me to spend a Saturday afternoon in the garage with a 6-pack getting my hands dirty It makes me feel good too!

Quick Reply: Oil Change after break in?