E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil cap issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I apologize in advance for the double post, but I was getting no response from the guys over in the DIY Forum... Here's my problem:

I recently had a message display stating that the oil in my '07 530xi was at minimum level. An oil change is not due for another 2700 miles, so I added a quart of Castrol Edge syn oil.

I just got my car in September, so I had never experienced the oil cap before. At first, I wasn't sure how it released -- screw off or pop top? There were arrows pointing in both directions, so I twisted counter clockwise and eventually the top loosened and I saw that the cap flips up.

So I added the quart, and replaced the top and thought it was down tight, but apparently not. The engine idled very roughly and while coasting in traffic, I noticed that the car would buck unless I had the clutch in. I drove it that way for about 17 miles to work, thinking that perhaps it was just a viscosity issue or something. On my way home, the condition continued, and then the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. SH**! Now what? So I got it home okay and planned to call the dealer today to have it looked at.

Thinking about it overnight, I remembered the problem I had securing the cap back down, so I decided to check it this morning, and sure enough, the cap was loose. So after 10 minutes or so of fiddling, I finally got the cap seated back properly, and the car performance was back to normal again. I was amazed that something like this would have such an adverse affect on the car! (Engine compression?)

Well, even though the performance is back to normal, the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light remains on. Will this eventually shut itself off or will I need to have the code reset at the dealer?

Has anyone here had the same kind of problem I had with the oil cap? Why make a square cap recessed into the engine block for something made to spin? I just don't get it!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The Engine light will go off eventually. I've never had a cap problem or a discrepancy with the cap design. It's just like any other. It does not flip up...well at least not on the M54 engine. And yes, you will have a vacuum leak in the system if you do not have the cap on tight....Car will choke. Same thing goes for vanos or air intake. I've had the issue once on an E46 M56 engine. Once when I didn't tighten the oil cap and another when i added a K&N cold air intake system. That SULEV did not like the system and thus was forced to remove it after sputtering and choaking.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Thanks! That explains a lot. Still think a simple screw cap would have been adequate though...
Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i.

The same thing happened to me just a few weeks after I got my car: got a message in idrive asking to add a squart of oil, did so, next day while driving, got a check engine light ( yellow engine shape) with loss of performance. My thinking then was that maybe idrive gave me a false alarm, and the subsequent the addition of oil took it over the maximum level. Never even considered the possibility that the symptoms could be attributable to a loose oil cap .......So, a few hours later when i started it up to get to the dealer, it was jerking uncontrollably. Managed to get it there and was advised I had a loose oil cap.. They replaced it and of course took off the check engine light.... I definitely learnt something new that day.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by poise_001
The same thing happened to me just a few weeks after I got my car: got a message in idrive asking to add a squart of oil, did so, next day while driving, got a check engine light ( yellow engine shape) with loss of performance. My thinking then was that maybe idrive gave me a false alarm, and the subsequent the addition of oil took it over the maximum level. Never even considered the possibility that the symptoms could be attributable to a loose oil cap .......So, a few hours later when i started it up to get to the dealer, it was jerking uncontrollably. Managed to get it there and was advised I had a loose oil cap.. They replaced it and of course took off the check engine light.... I definitely learnt something new that day.
Thank you for sharing that, poise! Now I don't feel like such a complete idiot
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too find that various caps on newer BMWs are unique and a bit tricky - including the oil filler, coolant reservoir, and gas tank cap. They sort of twist and click but with less tactile feedback than I seem to need. For example, I often find my self triple-checking the gas cap to be sure it really clicked to close - to avoid the fairly common gas cap error message.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
The Engine light will go off eventually.
Yay! You're right! It finally did but damn, it took a long time. Look at the original start date of this thread!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by jayarras
Yay! You're right! It finally did but damn, it took a long time. Look at the original start date of this thread!
Come on....... It's only 10 days..............You could have cleared it yourself if it bothered you that much. lol
Old 12-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Administrator

You could have cleared it yourself if it bothered you that much.
How? I don't have the tool.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Come on....... It's only 10 days..............You could have cleared it yourself if it bothered you that much. lol
Originally Posted by jayarras
How? I don't have the tool.
Anybody know? My light's back on again