E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which Oil for 2004 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My low oil warning came on today, although weirdly after it went away and I looked in iDrive, it said I was fine. After I got home and let the engine cool, I checked the dipstick (twice) and it was indeed at the low end.

Looking in the (German) manual, it only talked about BMW oils and didn't mention anything like 5w40 or 0w40. Presumably to avoid you going out and getting such a thing from anywhere other than BMW. My car's going to be 8 years old in April, I don't waste my money going to BMW anymore.

I reckon I'll just buy 2-3 litres (near enough 2-3 quarts) and that'll keep me going until next service (in 4-5 months probably). Or would I be wiser to top it up with as much as I can get in (without going over the high level)?

I've no desire to drain it and fill it with 7 quarts. I also don't want to put the bare minimum in and have it be running inefficiently.

Also, that plasticky cover that sits atop the cylinder head, does that easily pop right off to reveal the oil filler cap? If not, is there a tutorial somewhere on how to get it off?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

If you have a 545, the oil filler is to the front left (passenger side) of the "plasticky cover" with the square cap. Dont pull... twist and pull... I tried to pull mine off and it bent the metal inside and I had to replace it. Also, check your oil pressure switch for a slight leak - thats what happened to my 545... oil started going low for what I thought was no good reason... that was the reason.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Use Castrol 5w30 Synthentic
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jaycal3
If you have a 545, the oil filler is to the front left (passenger side) of the "plasticky cover" with the square cap. Dont pull... twist and pull... I tried to pull mine off and it bent the metal inside and I had to replace it. Also, check your oil pressure switch for a slight leak - thats what happened to my 545... oil started going low for what I thought was no good reason... that was the reason.
Thanks. I'll look for that in the morning. It's too late/cold/dark to be doing it now.

Can you elaborate on the oil pressure switch? I wouldn't have a clue where to look for that (or what it looks like). Considering it's about a year since it was last serviced, I'm not thinking that I've got a major (rapid) leak.

Originally Posted by Trinity Autosport
Use Castrol 5w30 Synthentic
Cool. If they've got Castrol in the gas station I stop at, I'll certainly pick that up. Otherwise I'll go for some generic synthetic 5w30.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Thanks. I'll look for that in the morning. It's too late/cold/dark to be doing it now.

Can you elaborate on the oil pressure switch? I wouldn't have a clue where to look for that (or what it looks like). Considering it's about a year since it was last serviced, I'm not thinking that I've got a major (rapid) leak.

Cool. If they've got Castrol in the gas station I stop at, I'll certainly pick that up. Otherwise I'll go for some generic synthetic 5w30.
The oil pressure switch is located just below the brake vacuum pump which is located on the lower left side of the engine as your looking at it from the front of the car. There is a DIY for the vacuum pump if you need further assistance finding it.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by stoic1
The oil pressure switch is located just below the brake vacuum pump which is located on the lower left side of the engine as your looking at it from the front of the car. There is a DIY for the vacuum pump if you need further assistance finding it.
What he said!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stoic1
I'll have a poke around. I doubt I'll find it though. Tons of little black boxes under there, any of which might be a vacuum pump or switch

I didn't find a vacuum pump DIY
Old 12-31-2011, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Buy Castrol LL-04 5w-30 if you want to hit your wallet!There are other brands that meet the BMW LL-04 specification ,e.g.
Q8 ,Havoline ,Total.I have used all three and currently use Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5w-30.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Contributors

I went with Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A1 fully synthetic. Popped 2 Litres (near enough 2 quarts) in. I see my service is due in only 2 months now so that'll do me fine.

I didn't find the oil pressure switch, but I admit I didn't try too hard. Considering how little I expect to use my car in the next two mostly snowed-in months, it'll wait. I'll just tell my indy to look for leaks around that area when he's doing the service.

As for the oil filler cap (the square one), there's no way you could miss where that is in broad daylight. When I didn't see it (shortly before this original post up top) I'd been out there checking the oil in darkness with a rag and a little torch and one hand too few. D'oh!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
I'll have a poke around. I doubt I'll find it though. Tons of little black boxes under there, any of which might be a vacuum pump or switch

I didn't find a vacuum pump DIY
The vacuum pump is not a black box... Look at the front left of the engine (passenger side)... on the far left of the block in the front is a pulley. directly under that is the switch.

Tons of links out there... Here is a Oil Pressure Switch Link. Post #6 has a link and HealthServices was kind enough to take a pic for you.

Quick Reply: Which Oil for 2004 545i