E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

oi leak on wife's '08 535i

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought the wife a '08 535i and when I was eyeballing the fitment of the 3" ceramic coated DP's I got for her, we noticed s slight oil leak from around oil pan and some other 'roud-ish part' to the passenger side, lower side of the engine bay, connected to oil pan and it, too, is leaking.

went to put on the DP's about 2 weeks later and found the leak is getting worse. I need to know what the hell that part is and if it is a common failure as well as any upgrades I can do while I am in process of repairing this leaking part(s). I should have gotten a pic while it was on the lift but I didn't so I will try to get one later and post if no one recognizes it by the wonderfully detailed and helpful description I posted ;p

thanks.

Jason
http://www.theshadetreediy.com
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Members

huh? why spam? cuz I included my company's website in my post? where in th post was there anything related to me selling anything or asking anyone for anything other than assistance relating to my oil leak? Is this not BMW related? 5-series related? what/where is the offensive content?
Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by gsxtasee
bought the wife a '08 535i and when I was eyeballing the fitment of the 3" ceramic coated DP's I got for her, we noticed s slight oil leak from around oil pan and some other 'roud-ish part' to the passenger side, lower side of the engine bay, connected to oil pan and it, too, is leaking.

went to put on the DP's about 2 weeks later and found the leak is getting worse. I need to know what the hell that part is and if it is a common failure as well as any upgrades I can do while I am in process of repairing this leaking part(s). I should have gotten a pic while it was on the lift but I didn't so I will try to get one later and post if no one recognizes it by the wonderfully detailed and helpful description I posted ;p

thanks.

Jason
http://www.theshadetreediy.com
Had something similar on my 08 535 just 2 weeks ago.
I have a GMPP extended warranty plan and had the local BMW dealer fix it.
They actually found 3 oil leaks.
They replaced the transmission oil pan and sleeve, which were both leaking.
They found and replace a leaking Turbo to engine oil line.
They also replaced the ARS sway bar which requires oil bleeding and an alignment.

The total repair bill was over 6300.00. All I paid was my 100.00 deductible.
Thank god I bought the extended warranty.

Womdering if any of these items were leaking oil 6 months ago when I still had factory warranty.
I doubt if they would have told me.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

please take a picture and post... we can go from there.
It's difficult to visualize the oil leak and the corresponding parts...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Members

pictures are FINALLY here. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may provide with this. I REALLY want to keep this car and mod it nicely but if it is going to have major problems this early on I would rather just dump it and start fresh. I already have teh 3" ceramic DP's (catless) and have my good friend Fred at Evolution Racewerks building me an amazing FMIC to replace the factory unit and once it is in I have plans for the ECM tune, brake upgrades, wheels/tires, coilovers, and many more mods in rapid succession. I would much rather know now if this is major stuff going on here or if I am just being overly sensitive since it seems to be a PITA right out of the box despite being a seemingly clean example of an '08 535i.
Attached Thumbnails oi leak on wife's '08 535i-bottom-facing-up-top-front-car.jpg   oi leak on wife's '08 535i-passenger-driver-view-oil-pan-unknown-part-interface.jpg   oi leak on wife's '08 535i-front-facing-rear-wide-shot.jpg   oi leak on wife's '08 535i-close-up-leaky-gasket-interface.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Members

I tried to edit the post to add comments on each pic but it didn't let me/I'm too internet-retard-ified to accomplish this task. I did, however, name each pic with fairly descriptive names. the area we are looking at here is under the car at the front where the belts are and looking at the front/passenger side of the oil pan. the part on the left side of the pics is the part I am asking for identification on as well as if anyone has experience with the gaskets that seem to be mounting it to the oil pan leaking. there are 4 of them and 3 seem to be squishing out and oily but the 4th is fine, not squished or leaking. I suspect the oil pan gasket of being fresh and this part may also have been either replaced or have new gaskets and maybe they were just not properly torqued.

I know I am typing in run-on sentences and they can be annoying so I apologize in advance for that also as I have been running the shop 12+ hrs/day and juggling a million other responsibilities here recently and am too tired to formulate nice sentence structure.. but hey..... at least I'm relatively decent at spelling and we aren't dealing with Teh Awzumnizz taat iz D innernatz spalling incompitints form teh HaCkZoRzZzZ
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Members

here is a quick shot of the AR ceramic coated catless DP's mounted up and teh twin 3" DP-back exhaust I had fabbed up because teh AR DP's didn't fit factory exhaust. I would have done it eventually anyway but sucks that it didn't fit for that much money. the rear shot only has two round resonators on it for now while waiting for the new short-bopdied mufflers to come in. it sounds HIDEOUS but works great. If we decide to keep the car we will certainly get the M5-type rear fascia or similar to support dual exhaust exits and we will re-route the exhaust yet again to put a muffler and tip on either side of the rear..
Attached Thumbnails oi leak on wife's '08 535i-3in-ceramic-dps.jpg   oi leak on wife's '08 535i-3in-dp-mid-section.jpg   oi leak on wife's '08 535i-3in-exhaust-mid-section.jpg   oi leak on wife's '08 535i-muffler-exhaust-shot.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your buddy ever ends up building a custom FMIC I'm curious to see how it turns out and sorry to hear the AR downpipes weren't a very good fit, seems to be an on going trend from that company which is why I've avoided them.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Members

well, on teh bright side, at least teh smoking that began when I installed teh AR DP's seems to have ceased. As for the custom FMIC, what do you mean custom? If you check out his website http://www.evolutionracewerks.com then you will see he makes FMIC's and various other bits for lots of cars including those sporting the N54 engine as well as P-cars among others. I let him use teh wife's old '08 A42.0tQ t oprototype his product line for that car and we kept most of the stuff he built on the car it's nice to have friends.

If you want an FMIC just PM me and I can help you out with that but for now I really could use some help figuring out what the compoonent that is located in the pics above is called..