E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM wheel/tyre combo

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

I was cleaning my garage the other day and I had to move my summer wheels with Bridgestone runflats on them I had forgotten just how heavy they are. Is it the wheel or the tyre that makes it so heavy? I have lifted 18" wheels before but they were nothing like it. If its the Rfts I am definitely changing them for non-rfts next summer. Could it be that the oem wheels are very heavy as well?! If anyone has any idea of these weights please post
Old 01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

I have heard that the 18" RFT are almost +5kg compared with N-RFT! And that's the tyre only.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by sapkan' post='220392' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:08 AM
I was cleaning my garage the other day and I had to move my summer wheels with Bridgestone runflats on them I had forgotten just how heavy they are. Is it the wheel or the tyre that makes it so heavy? I have lifted 18" wheels before but they were nothing like it. If its the Rfts I am definitely changing them for non-rfts next summer. Could it be that the oem wheels are very heavy as well?! If anyone has any idea of these weights please post
The OEM wheels and tires are very heavy. Check out the first "Mind Candy" thread in my sig.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

yeah the tires are somewhat heavier since they have the strengthened rubber side, it adds up! But I have no numbers sorry.
You want to change just cause they are heavier? I wouldnt ever switch from RFT just be?cause of the safety issue. Have a flat and continue driving, come on!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Comfort Access, Xenon Headlights, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Steptronic Transmission. Silver Gray Metallic with Gray Leather. Added Red rear reflectors. Swapped stock Style 124 wheels and Bridgestone run-flat tires for BMW Style 125 5-Double Spoke wheels, 8" x 19" front, 9.5" x 19" rear with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, 245/40YR-19 front and 275/30YR-19 rear.

Originally Posted by sapkan' post='220392' date='Jan 7 2006, 12:08 AM
The front OEM Style 124 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RFTs in 8" x 18" weigh 63.5 pounds each. The rears, 9" x 18" with same tire weigh 66.5 pounds each.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220425' date='Jan 7 2006, 11:30 AM
yeah the tires are somewhat heavier since they have the strengthened rubber side, it adds up! But I have no numbers sorry.
You want to change just cause they are heavier? I wouldnt ever switch from RFT just be?cause of the safety issue. Have a flat and continue driving, come on!

The RF tires are not only some 5 kg heavier per tire (this is "not suspended" weight, the worst there is)
but they are also hard as hell, do to the steel enforcement in the sides.

They give a bad riding comfort and they seem to have a tendency of tramlining also and they are also much noisyer than non RF tires.

Just check out from Search what most of us on this Forum thinks about the RF's!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

agree with everybody above. No more RF's
Old 01-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

I'm for the safely of runflats-if it wasn't for Pirelli running out of the winter run flat Sottozeros I'd be using them now...

I plan to get a set of Pirelli zero nero run flats - Road and Track tested them and the tester states that he couldn't tell the difference in performance, handling, or noise between the non-rf and rf tires.

I'm sold.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

Tomorow morning I can go down to basement and put my Bridgestone re 050 on the wheigt and the will know
Old 01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

Non-run flats for me all year round. SottoZero in winter and PS2s in summer.

Quick Reply: OEM wheel/tyre combo