E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM Parts Source - Ship to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcaranci' post='902946' date='Jun 6 2009, 08:44 PM
Ok, so dealer looked at it. The shop foreman said it very likely the ball joint in the rear. hmmmmm.... when I took the wheel apart it sounded to me to be coming from the inside of the swing arm not the outside. However, since the car has 140,000km on it I'll get them changed and then see who's right. I've ordered new ball joints for both the left and right, since the high mileage they are probably quite worn anyway, even if this is not the problem. Plan to change them out next weekend...

I'll update this thread again then for those of you interested....

Cheers...
D
Where are you getting the parts?
Good luck.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all again,

Just a quick update...
So I just finished changing the rear ball joints on both sides of the car. It was DEFINITELY the cause of the embarrassing squeaking problem!

Once I removed it from the car, I pressed them apart and the inside of it was rusty and dry (grease gone) between the ball and socket. Certainly the culprit has been identified! The other side wasn't too bad, but as mentioned above with that much mileage on it, might as well do both sides.

Job wasn't too bad... 2h per side, and borrowed a ball joint removal/install tool from the local parts shop. The two joints came to $110 (not from dealer, dealer was $95 each), my labor doesn't count. Much cheaper than the dealer's quote of $490 for 1 side! Granted I should probably get a complete alignment done now but that's 1-hour in the shop ($120).

I'm quite confused how the dealer was going to charge me 4 hours to do 1 side when I did it in 2 hours using improvised tools... and although I'm experienced in doing most anything on my own cars, I'm far from a licensed mechanic. I looked at the instructions in the TIS and I suppose if you do everything there it might take 4 hours, but I didn't see any need to remove the shocks/springs or drive shafts... might have made things a LITTLE easier, but I didn't need to do all that.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who offered help... problem is solved!

BTW, when you buy Lemforder ball joints (OEM but not from BMW dealer) they come with the snap rings... no need to buy them separately.

Cheers!
D