E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OEM motion sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

my 525 07 with the motion sensors on the top and i heard and readed somewhere that if your roll all the windows down, lock the door( alarm armed) and wait for like 1 minute or so, and just kind of wave your hand in the car, the alarm would go off right ?. How come mine doesnt, i had to wave or even cover the sensors several times to make it goes off. Is this normal ? Thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I believe the sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Read your instruction manual ....

The key to your question is that your Windows are down or your moon/sun roof is open.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Not sure if the alarm system comes standard on the E60. When you lock your E60 normally, does the red LED under the rear view mirror blink? If not, there is no alarm system. The remote keyless entry system may not imply the presence of the anti-theft alarm system (hood sensor, interior ultrasonic motion sensor, tilt sensor, siren, backup battery).

I just installed the alarm system in my pre-wired US-spec E90. To test the ultrasonic sensor, one must close all windows except the driver's. Arm the system (lock), and the LED should start blinking about once every three seconds. Wait about one minute for the ultrasonic sensor to learn your interior "profile" - shopping bags, parcels, child-seat, fold-down rear seat, etc. When you throw a towel into the vehicle or reach into the vehicle, the siren should go off.

If all windows are open, the ultrasonic sensor is less effective. Do not lock / arm the system twice. While the first "lock" arms the system, the second "lock" disables the ultrasonic sensor (eg if you have a pet inside).
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

yeah mine blinking light was blinking, some people said to wait till 3 to 5 minutes to try maybe ? i mean whats the point of motion sensoring when the windows are down, i was acutally got in the car, moving jumping around to make it went off.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vkhong' post='1084205' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:42 PM
Not sure if the alarm system comes standard on the E60. When you lock your E60 normally, does the red LED under the rear view mirror blink? If not, there is no alarm system. The remote keyless entry system may not imply the presence of the anti-theft alarm system (hood sensor, interior ultrasonic motion sensor, tilt sensor, siren, backup battery).

I just installed the alarm system in my pre-wired US-spec E90. To test the ultrasonic sensor, one must close all windows except the driver's. Arm the system (lock), and the LED should start blinking about once every three seconds. Wait about one minute for the ultrasonic sensor to learn your interior "profile" - shopping bags, parcels, child-seat, fold-down rear seat, etc. When you throw a towel into the vehicle or reach into the vehicle, the siren should go off.

If all windows are open, the ultrasonic sensor is less effective. Do not lock / arm the system twice. While the first "lock" arms the system, the second "lock" disables the ultrasonic sensor (eg if you have a pet inside).

oh so only the driver window can be down, the others cant ? wow something i didnt know lol
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Where's Gene when you need him?

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=146789

And for the lazy ones who don't want to do any .pdf reading...

How it works

The ultrasonic interior motion sensor is a movement detector. The ultrasonic interior motion sensor detects movement in
the entire vehicle interior. The DWA control unit evaluates the signal from the ultrasonic interior motion sensor and triggers
the alarm.

3 seconds after the last door or hatch is closed, the ultrasonic interior motion sensor starts its reference run.
During the reference run, the vehicle interior is "scanned". This allows any changes in the vehicle interior (e.g. objects left
on the rear seat) to be recognised. The correct function of the ultrasonic interior motion sensor is monitored by a self-test.
The ultrasonic interior motion sensor is operational 20 seconds after the start of the reference run.

2 ultrasonic signals are emitted at intervals of 65 milliseconds. After transmission, the echoes of each ultrasonic signal
from the vehicle interior are stored separately in a measured value field. The echo is then split into several subintervals.
Within each subinterval, the echo value of the two measurements are compared.

If an alarm condition is detected, the DWA control unit will trigger the alarm. The siren for the acoustic alarm is actuated
via the local data bus. The signal for the visual alarm is fed to the light module through the K-CAN.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

the pdf doesnt say anythint about rolling windows down lol, but thanks for the info man.