E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Odd Question Regarding BMW Production Line

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

I've been pretty impressed with the build quality of my 2007 530xi, and it occurred to me that there must be some logistical/engineering nightmares involved in building vehicles to such high standards when a certain percentage of the cars are built for UK/Japan consumption. Perhaps someone has been to the factory to see how this is done...that is, do they run separate lines for right-hand drive cars...or do they make them on different days? I'm sure the cars are just as great when built with RHD. Are they more costly to build? Just wondering...
Old 05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='426837' date='May 21 2007, 09:13 PM
I've been pretty impressed with the build quality of my 2007 530xi, and it occurred to me that there must be some logistical/engineering nightmares involved in building vehicles to such high standards when a certain percentage of the cars are built for UK/Japan consumption. Perhaps someone has been to the factory to see how this is done...that is, do they run separate lines for right-hand drive cars...or do they make them on different days? I'm sure the cars are just as great when built with RHD. Are they more costly to build? Just wondering...
Hi,

I visited Dingolfing Plant on 10 of April this year. They build 5, 6 and 7 series there. All different models are built according to customer needs. Every car in a row on the conveyor belt can be from different series, with different options, one of which is right/left hand steering. Dingolfing Plant is the most flexible car factory in the world, producing ca. 270000 cars yearly. There are about 21000 employees and the plant is located in Lower Bavaria in the southern part of Germany.

Please find more information by following the link below.

Best regards from Finland,

TGII

http://www.bmwgroup.com/bmwgroup_prod/e/na.../home/home.html
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='426837' date='May 21 2007, 02:13 PM
The logistics are quite interesting. They really do do the JIT thing, quite well I might add.

Spartanburg recently underwent a one line conversion, which means that their cars are built on one line, similar to Dingolfing.

Even before the conversion, RHD and LHD cars were all on the same line if they were the same car. Each car is completely custom built. I?ve toured the factory in M?nchen twice and just visited the Spartanburg factory last week when I went to M school. It was similar to M?nchen in many respects.

FYI: Spartanburg will soon build four cars, the Z4, X5, X3, and the next X3
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

I've been to the factory as well, and was quite impressed. Having visited many auto plants, it ranks at the top.

The ability to handle customization is world class. *Every* car is unique, mostly due to customization required for each individual country.

They quoted me a bit of trivia that stated that statistically speaking, they make two identical cars once every two years.

In other words if they make a car with a given configuration, 24 months will pass on average before they make another car just like it.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

All cars on the same belt.
Every workstation has a computer displaying what needs to be done there.
They do the Individuals, Emmys and Alpinas there too...
On the front side of each car there is a piece of paper on which you can see the country the car is built for, but the people that work there don't need this kind of info, because what they need to know appears on the screen.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530D SE; Mystic Blue; Beige Leather; Luxury Pack; Media Pack; Visibility Pack; 123's; Logic 7; + to many more to type........... 2008 730D; Black Sapphire; Cream Beige Leather; plenty of options!

Originally Posted by ExGMan' post='426837' date='May 21 2007, 07:13 PM
Quality is designed and built in - I've not witnessed BMW plants in operation however I've been involved with a number of other plants over the years (involved in producing software that sequences production build.)

Mixed model (build) production lines are common ? Cars are built in 'sequence' ? the sequence triggers the automation process to deliver the right assemblies and parts to all work stations ?Just In Time? - generally once a chassis is in ?build? it will not stop, all work is carried out whilst the chassis is moving.

The sequence is dependent on a number of a factors a key one is often colour ? e.g. a production sequence is derived from demand fulfillment (orders) to plant efficiency objectives ? a common sequence window could be for three shifts (24 hours) ? the sequence may involve building various models i.e. Sedan (Saloon)/Tourer/Engine/Transmission etc. ? the sequence is likely to be most economic and will build bodies initially to facilitate this - the sequence builds the initial chassis and passes completed chassis via treatment tanks to the paint booths ? the chassis may require re-sequencing to be painted post their treatment, this involves storing/re-positioning chassis to meet the paint booths sequence (often this is achieved via an overhead rail type system that looks in part similar to a railway marshalling yard ? recall that most plants build a car in a matter of hours, hence the store is small in numbers and is normally on the move, it?s never static) ? The most economic plants I?ve witnessed will batch colours to minimise change over?s within the paint booths, a key cost constraining method ? once painted, then baked they move onto the assembly lines for completion.

I?ve skipped over much here - it is impressive to witness the automation involved and wonder at the whole process can complete from initial forming/welding of the chassis to a complete car being driven of the build line in less than 24 hours (I don?t know BMW?s figures.)
Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I've been to Spartanburg but not Dingolfing. Pretty impressive facility indeed. (Many years ago, I toured the M-B plant in Sindelfingen and it was great too.)

FYI, here's a direct link to the Dingolfing plant website:
http://www.bmw-plant-dingolfing.com/dingol...m/en/index.html