E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

odd clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i drive it sound like there is a deep rattle or clunking noise coming from the engine bay or underneath. when in the cabin it sounds like it's on the passenger side, deep in the dash. it's a low tone noise, and when you open the window and stick your head out, you can't hear anything. so that makes me think it is not actually in the engine bay or under the car, but maybe somewhere deep in the dash. any ideas?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Sunroof maybe? Can you make a sound clip?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

i can try. i think it's coming from behind or around the idrive though.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by tuffluck
when i drive it sound like there is a deep rattle or clunking noise coming from the engine bay or underneath. when in the cabin it sounds like it's on the passenger side, deep in the dash. it's a low tone noise, and when you open the window and stick your head out, you can't hear anything. so that makes me think it is not actually in the engine bay or under the car, but maybe somewhere deep in the dash. any ideas?
Do you hear a cracking sound ..everytime u turn (left/right)and go on bumps at slow speeds?if so..i have the same problem at first i tought it was the interior door panels and dash because everytime i would turn the car left/right and turn on my driveway i tought the chassis was cracking..i have my car at the dealership right now and they told me this is a common issue on all the late model bimmers e60/e90/e70 ect.. and they told me that noise is from the door seals.. when they need lubrication it sounds exactly like crackling and/or rattling.. so my service guy told me that there going to put silicone and some kind of lubrication on all 4 door seals and hood. I hope this helps and my car is going to be ready today and all let u know how it went.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Members

Do you drive a lot with the sunroof in the "tilt-up" position? That creates the exact sound that your describing on my car.... It's the metal wind deflector clanging against the glass which is tilted down and forward a bit in that particular open state. I will be getting it fixed next service visit...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

Originally Posted by whdigital
Do you drive a lot with the sunroof in the "tilt-up" position? That creates the exact sound that your describing on my car.... It's the metal wind deflector clanging against the glass which is tilted down and forward a bit in that particular open state. I will be getting it fixed next service visit...
Exactly what I'm thinking it may be.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by whoyuwit
Exactly what I'm thinking it may be.
nope, i never use the sunroof at all. it is 110 here in dallas, so that sucker stays closed as a mofo!

i swear it sounds like it is just on the passenger side of the idrive under the dash...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:19 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

check if there is anything loose in the storage compartment under armrest, ash tray, and glove compartment.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Members

Well, at the risk of being narrow-minded, try opening the sunroof then and see if it goes away. I was convinced mine was coming from the trunk, but it was right above my head! Lower frequencies (like metal "clunks") are not directional in the way the sound travels. You may be hearing a secondary reverberation from the dash area, but not where the source is. I'm not making this up either, I deal with acoustics for a living. Tracking down noises in a moving car can be quite ellusive. Humor at least two of us here... Slide open the sunshade and or put the sunroof in tilted up position even while just parked. Then reach up and "flick" the metal wind deflector up and down a bit and tell me if the sound is similar....
Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2005

I experienced this same exact issue, and i found it was exactly the sunroof. Sometimes it makes noise even when the sunroof is fully closed

Quick Reply: odd clunking noise