E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OBD indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5
Default Coils and Plugs replacement advice

So I went to a parts store and got a code reading because I had my engine light come back on.

The OBD sensor indicates :

Cylinder 6 misfire detected
Code : P0306

The guy said to change the 1 coil and all the spark plugs.

He said the coil was Bosch and the sparks were special? Since I'm planning to do it myself, should I get the best parts or even upgrade parts? Also is changing one coil enough?
I remember having this problem around 6-8months ago and the dealer said to change all coils and plugs for around $275 each so I said forget it. Just do the one.

I'd like to do it myself, but I dont know how. Any Detailed DIY's and tool suggestions would be appreciated

TIA

Last edited by Bimmer5project; 05-09-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Title wasn't appropriate
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

spark plugs are not special. just pick up the bosche plugs. you can use NGK or Denso. Doesn't matter. I prefer bosche. It was OEM for all my bimmers. They were 2 prong, but I use the 4 prong.
And sorry to say, but this guy is giving "shot in the dark" advice. Change the plugs. I do this every 30-40K miles. If problem is still cylinder 6 then swap the coil with another coil and see if it's the coil. I don't remember how the cylinders are lined up but perhaps someone can chime in.
Give your car/engine details and see if someone knows. I don't think they are 1,2,3,4,5,6 but assuming they were you take coil 6 and swap it with coil 1 and if it's the coil you would have the misfire on cyl. 1 so then just replace that specific coil.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

I had the same issue with my '06 530i. It was a bad ignition coil. I went Autozone and bought a replacement for $53 and was back running smoothly in about an hour. It's an easy fix. The worst part of the job is removing all the plastic & the strut brace.

There's a DIY video at bavauto.com: DIY Video – BMW “Pencil Style” Coil Replacement – Install How To – M54, M62, N62 | Bavarian Autosport Blog

This helped me get through the job quickly.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

My car is a e60 530i sorry...forgot to mention that.

Now I feel more confident doing the job myself.

The video is awesome but doesn't show how to remove the plug once the coil is out.

Also...is cylinder six the one furthest away? I'm thinking that one would be the hardest to replace.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Members

The worst part of the job is removing all the plastic & the strut brace.

What plastic are you talking about???
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Members

My kinda excited...my 1st time touching the engine! hopefully I wont F it up.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer5project
The worst part of the job is removing all the plastic & the strut brace.

What plastic are you talking about???
When I performed the job, I probably went too far in clearing the engine area. I pulled the cabin filters & housing, strut brace, and then the plastic cover on the engine. I thought the bad coil back was toward the fire wall and I wanted more clearance. It was actually closer to the front side of the motor.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer5project
My car is a e60 530i sorry...forgot to mention that.

Now I feel more confident doing the job myself.

The video is awesome but doesn't show how to remove the plug once the coil is out.

Also...is cylinder six the one furthest away? I'm thinking that one would be the hardest to replace.
Removing the plug is straight forward. Sparkplug socket, extension, and ratchet. Righty-tighty, Lefty-Loosey. Check out this video... BMW DIY Video – Spark Plug And Coil Replacement, 4-Valve Engines (V8 and 6-Cylinder) | Bavarian Autosport Blog

I believe the firing order runs sequentially from 1 thru 6. Cylinder #1 is closest to the radiator and #6 is by the firewall. As I recall the cylinder # is on the valve cover, but don't quote me on that.