E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

nyc taxis...grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

yeah, the garage my mom parks in offers 4 spots in the front for an extra $300 a month, which works out to about $800/month total. BUT, nobody is that close on the sides (no door dings) to you and nobody parks in front or behind you. the only cars in those spots though are a bentley, ferrari, e39 m5 and an e55 amg. go figure...

i went to bank street from kindergarten to 8th. the dwight school on the upper east (now it's on the upper west) for high school and then headed west and went to college at the university of colorado at boulder. had to get the hell out of ny! i had a few friends that went to horace mann. we all graduated high school in '90 (i'm dating myself, i know ). my pops actually grew up in the fieldston neighborhood of riverdale and went to fieldston for high school. i loved it up there. great schools.

hope we get to meet one of these days when the weather gets nicer.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Members

My Ride: Alpine White 2007 530xi Steptronic with Premium pack, Logic 7, CWP, PDC, HD Radio

I missed the "touched up" 550i although I work on 57th & Park and pass through 58th everyday on the way to the subway.

Glad to see so many New Yorkers on here. I was born and raised in Queens but attended Stuyvesant High School, then Baruch College and have been working here ever since. I'm going to avoid bringing the 5er to the city as I've had issues with parking garages as well. Besides it's easier to take the beater and park it on the street.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i/ black with aurburn/ sport/ SMG/ m aero kit/ premimum sound/ cold weather/ heated rear/ navigation/20" iforged sprints in gunmetal with PS2's _GONE

The same thing happened to me last weekend. A f****in taxi driver bumped me. And true NYC fashion I got out of the car and showed him a bit of my roadrage. Saw nothing happend to the car so jumped back in. But these taxi drivers are the worst. They just don't care.

I work in midtown manhattan so I do drive in a few days a month. The reason I drive is so that I can spend some time with my baby otherwise she would just sit in the garage. I park in a garage where I know everyone. I pay a little extra(almost 40% more, I think thats why they all know me...lol) so that my car sits upfront with the Bentleys and Lambos. They never abouse or bang up my car. I never park in the street. Its one of the worst things you can do. Within a year you would have no paint left on the bumpers.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i/ black with aurburn/ sport/ SMG/ m aero kit/ premimum sound/ cold weather/ heated rear/ navigation/20" iforged sprints in gunmetal with PS2's _GONE

Well the weather sucks today. But as soon as it gets nice we should have a meet and great. I'm so jealous of the Socal crew they seem to meet up all the time.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545I SMG. 2006 Nissan Titan SE. 2006 Daytona 675. YZ250F. John Deere 2520.

When I worked in NY City, I had a Toyota 4runner I often drove in. I left a tow hitch in the rear bumper, and I had a push bar on the front. The push bar came in handy if people parked against your bumper. I'd put it in 4low and just push there car forward if I needed to get out of a space, and the rear tow hitch kept people from buming into my rear bumper.

I'm always amused when I watch some chick get in her car in new york and hit the car in the front and then back up and hit the car in the back in order to pull out of there spot.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Doesn't the City clean up the goll-darned streets anymore after a storm? This place is absolutely disgusting! My vehicle will not emerge from its warm, dry location until the streets are operational again. Hope all of yours are safe and salt-free!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

This may be considered a thread-jack. If so, let me know and I'll start a new one.

OK, so I'm hoping I can get some sympathy from some of the Manhattan E60ers. My wife and I moved to the NYC-area from Tennessee about three years ago. We've come a long way, but we are still FAR from considering ourselves "locals". Thus, my Manhattan knowledge is still lacking in some respects.

I don't have to go into the City too often, but sometimes when I do the Metro-North isn't an option. Before I bought the Bimmer, driving into Manhattan didn't bother me that much, and I would take a spot at whatever garage was close to where I needed to be and had a spot available. Now that I'm driving my new baby (which is my only car), I'm mildly (ok, greatly) concerned about parking her in the City.

Since I'm just a day-tripper and don't need a permanent garage, can any of you recommend some good garages on the East and West sides of Midtown, i.e. ones that seem to actually try to take care of the cars?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='391931' date='Feb 15 2007, 02:11 PM
This may be considered a thread-jack. If so, let me know and I'll start a new one.

OK, so I'm hoping I can get some sympathy from some of the Manhattan E60ers. My wife and I moved to the NYC-area from Tennessee about three years ago. We've come a long way, but we are still FAR from considering ourselves "locals". Thus, my Manhattan knowledge is still lacking in some respects.

I don't have to go into the City too often, but sometimes when I do the Metro-North isn't an option. Before I bought the Bimmer, driving into Manhattan didn't bother me that much, and I would take a spot at whatever garage was close to where I needed to be and had a spot available. Now that I'm driving my new baby (which is my only car), I'm mildly (ok, greatly) concerned about parking her in the City.

Since I'm just a day-tripper and don't need a permanent garage, can any of you recommend some good garages on the East and West sides of Midtown, i.e. ones that seem to actually try to take care of the cars?
Wildcat, unless you're a "regular" and therefore know the guys taking your vehicle. its really a craps shoot. Park it and take your chances. I am a citizen of the city with a park and lock---- my own space where I park my own, lock it up and leave it protected.
I wouldn't do it any other way and that is based on years of experience.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jrsamps' post='391164' date='Feb 13 2007, 11:39 PM
Two words MASS TRANSIT
I have seen also E60 x-models as taxies. Mostly 530xdA:s.

For three or two months every year they are great for the driver!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by blackfalcon' post='391440' date='Feb 14 2007, 10:58 AM
When I worked in NY City, I had a Toyota 4runner I often drove in. I left a tow hitch in the rear bumper, and I had a push bar on the front. The push bar came in handy if people parked against your bumper. I'd put it in 4low and just push there car forward if I needed to get out of a space, and the rear tow hitch kept people from buming into my rear bumper.

I'm always amused when I watch some chick get in her car in new york and hit the car in the front and then back up and hit the car in the back in order to pull out of there spot.
I currently have a 97 4runner and a 07 550i. Totally opposite vehicles but great for their own purpose. With the current weather in Chicago the 550 hasnt left the garage. And the 4runner is blowing through the snow and runs like the day i bought it new but now has 132,000 miles.

The previous generation of 4runner has to be one of the best SUV's ever made. Everything on the vehicle is overengineered.

Quick Reply: nyc taxis...grrrrr