E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

nyc taxis...grrrrr

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Well friends, on my way home last night, I spot a flawless silver 550i replete with areo-kit stopped at the meridian of Park Ave. and 58th St. "touched up" by a taxi. It made me slightly nauseous as it happened to me in the city in my previous ride not long ago. I wonder if this comrade is a member here. If so, you have have my sympathies especially when it comes to collecting from the taxi's insurance compnay. It's amazing how defensive we all must drive these days. It seems every other driver is on the phone, thinks driving is a game of "chicken", or its the last lap of the Indie 500. Be careful out there guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

My car never goes into Manhattan for this very reason. 2 years ago, I parked my E39 in my mom's garage on the west side. Went to pick it up the next day and checked all sides of the car for any dings, as I always do. The parking guy had backed up my car into another car which left a HUGE hole in my rear bumper from the screw head sticking out from the other car. I got the bumper pads after that, but it happened again, but this time, I came out to find that my front bumper was misaligned. I think they felt that since I had the bumper pads, they could just slam another car into mine with no problems. My feeling is, if you live in Manhattan, you should own a junker. Otherwise, I would just stress every time I parked my car in the city or drove somewhere in the city.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I have only drivin in the city once and never again. I was once 'rubbed' by a taxi who was cutting me off in a previous car. I called 1-800-NYC-TAXI and called the police for a hit and run. His medalion was revoked and I got money for the repair from them.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Those of us who live here and park here full time usually use park and lock spots with protection for bumpers and doors. Out on the street, however, you've got keep alert at all times.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='391034' date='Feb 13 2007, 10:34 AM
My car never goes into Manhattan for this very reason. 2 years ago, I parked my E39 in my mom's garage on the west side. Went to pick it up the next day and checked all sides of the car for any dings, as I always do. The parking guy had backed up my car into another car which left a HUGE hole in my rear bumper from the screw head sticking out from the other car. I got the bumper pads after that, but it happened again, but this time, I came out to find that my front bumper was misaligned. I think they felt that since I had the bumper pads, they could just slam another car into mine with no problems. My feeling is, if you live in Manhattan, you should own a junker. Otherwise, I would just stress every time I parked my car in the city or drove somewhere in the city.
Congratulations! A rare success story!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

a true playa like myself drives and parks here without giving a f***. LOL

but seriously, treat the staff at your garage well and they'll take care of you. i've never lived in the suburbs so i don't know how ppl drive out there, but i'm used to how ppl drive in nyc. everyone has no time to waste so we don't have to worry about ppl driving ms daisy, except for the tourists who always drive slow.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 1600' post='391026' date='Feb 13 2007, 05:19 PM
Well friends, on my way home last night, I spot a flawless silver 550i replete with areo-kit stopped at the meridian of Park Ave. and 58th St. "touched up" by a taxi.
We have a lot of E60 520dA - 535dA taxis overhere, some with the M-sport option... :'(

They are all licened and most leagal!

Some E90 and E91's as well, mostly 320dA's
Old 02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='391142' date='Feb 13 2007, 03:58 PM
a true playa like myself drives and parks here without giving a f***. LOL

but seriously, treat the staff at your garage well and they'll take care of you. i've never lived in the suburbs so i don't know how ppl drive out there, but i'm used to how ppl drive in nyc. everyone has no time to waste so we don't have to worry about ppl driving ms daisy, except for the tourists who always drive slow.
totally. i'm born and raised in manhattaon (upper west side in da' house!) and used to drive my parents car like a taxi driver all over the city, not caring about jack. but once i got my own cars, i started caring. as for the garage, i am tight with the manager, but he has some young kids working for him that drive the car's like they are taxi's. it's also a really tight garage and if your car is buried, they don't have a lot of time at being too careful. i'm actually surprised how fast they take turns and how good they are at dodging every concrete pillar and other car in it's way. keep in mind, they drive so many different cars which have different feels, turning radius', blind spots, etc.. it's one thing knowing your own car, it's another knowing 100 different cars and trucks like the back of your hand.

b/tw - are you born and raised in manhattan? if so, just wondering what schools in the city you went to...
Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Two words MASS TRANSIT
Old 02-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='391156' date='Feb 13 2007, 04:22 PM
totally. i'm born and raised in manhattaon (upper west side in da' house!) and used to drive my parents car like a taxi driver all over the city, not caring about jack. but once i got my own cars, i started caring. as for the garage, i am tight with the manager, but he has some young kids working for him that drive the car's like they are taxi's. it's also a really tight garage and if your car is buried, they don't have a lot of time at being too careful. i'm actually surprised how fast they take turns and how good they are at dodging every concrete pillar and other car in it's way. keep in mind, they drive so many different cars which have different feels, turning radius', blind spots, etc.. it's one thing knowing your own car, it's another knowing 100 different cars and trucks like the back of your hand.

b/tw - are you born and raised in manhattan? if so, just wondering what schools in the city you went to...
one also needs to be picky when choosing a good garage. i've tried many. finally found one with minimal tight turns, good layout, decent staff, etc. regardless, if you want your garage to care about your car, anything is possible with a little $ for tips and xmas bonus.

i wasn't born here, but have lived here since i was about 3. i lived in uws when i was in junior and high school and went to horace mann in the bronx. for college i went to georgetown in dc. how about you?

Quick Reply: nyc taxis...grrrrr