E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

not a good day for my E60....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

further to my post about an intermittent PDC sensor issue, two more niggles have surfaced today

drivers seat - squeaky / groaning noise occurs any time pressure is placed against the backrest, for example when pulling away or breaking and your body weight presses against that section of the seat. noise appears to be coming from under seat and sounds like a plastic squeak type noise if that makes sense.

headlight unit - small "misty" circular spot has appeared about 1cm in diameter, on the inside of the headlight unit nr the side reflector/repeater. these are my first xenons so i'm not sure if from time to time that sort of thing is expected/normal ?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Exactly the same here. The downside of having covered xenons I suppose. Keep polishing...
Old 08-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Flowerfred' date='Aug 9 2004, 02:03 PM
Exactly the same here. The downside of having covered xenons I suppose. Keep polishing...
If it is water/mist this could be because xenon light do not produce a lot of heat wich vaporise it. You could try to put your highbeams on for 25 minutes (at home with a running engine) to see if the heat build up will brake it down.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Neh, it's on outside. I think it's just scratched or something.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Aug 9 2004, 08:01 PM
drivers seat - squeaky / groaning noise occurs any time pressure is placed against the backrest, for example when pulling away or breaking and your body weight presses against that section of the seat. noise appears to be coming from under seat and sounds like a plastic squeak type noise if that makes sense.
Sounds crazy, but hold the seat belt connector (the concertina'd rubber bit) away from leather on the seat.

You might find the squeak "mysteriously" disappears

A couple of guys have put a bit of cloth between the two surfaces to stop it happening, I've found that just by moving it I can get the noise to stop for a good while.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

thx for the quick replies guys.

"misty" circular spot is definitely inside the glass...its not on the forward facing section of the light but inside the glass opposite the reflector, well the bit that on US cars seems to be in orange

anyone had similar problems with their drivers seat ??
Old 08-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

I think we posted at the same time. See above
Old 08-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Members

My drivers seat had a squeaking that occurred whenever I accellerated or adjusted my position in the seat. VERY annoying...it was coming from the lumbar area of the seatback. If this is your problem, tell your service advisor. They had to open up the seatback and insert some kind of a masking material in there to prevent two cables/springs from rubbing together. This actually fixed the problem. I thought for sure there would be no way to fix it but they took care of it.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stu in Austin' date='Aug 9 2004, 08:34 PM
My drivers seat had a squeaking that occurred whenever I accellerated or adjusted my position in the seat. VERY annoying...it was coming from the lumbar area of the seatback. If this is your problem, tell your service advisor. They had to open up the seatback and insert some kind of a masking material in there to prevent two cables/springs from rubbing together. This actually fixed the problem. I thought for sure there would be no way to fix it but they took care of it.
Same here, I bet it would ghave been cured in the way I described above though.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Members

Northern Monkey,
My seatback squeaked when I first got the car. To get rid of the squeak I moved the backrest backwards and forwards each time it squeaked. After a few weeks the squeak dissapeared and has not returned.
Mark Yorkshire

Quick Reply: not a good day for my E60....