E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Not drving for next 2 months, what precautions shall i take ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any advices for me?
i dont drive my bmw that much sometimes i dont even start it for couple of weeks maybe more is there precautions shall i do ?
and last time i drove it my car was acting weird for example it didnt made the seat belt noise and when i moved my doors didnt lock
are these faults related to the battery i mean if my battery is low is it normal to act like this?
and what you guys mean by toping fuel tank off - shall i keep my car tank full always or it doesnt matter and which is better-full/empty ?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Two months isn't a big deal so the precautions may not even be necessary.
+1
Lexapro will help with your depression and anxiety
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 550i Sport ordered RPI scoop deleted charcoal

Originally Posted by dxb_8788
any advices for me?
i dont drive my bmw that much sometimes i dont even start it for couple of weeks maybe more is there precautions shall i do ?
and last time i drove it my car was acting weird for example it didnt made the seat belt noise and when i moved my doors didnt lock
are these faults related to the battery i mean if my battery is low is it normal to act like this?
and what you guys mean by toping fuel tank off - shall i keep my car tank full always or it doesnt matter and which is better-full/empty ?
My Dads 2006 750 is on charge most of the year at a vacation home. It will sit on charge for upwards of 6 months sometimes. He travels alot and when mum is staying at the house we'll take it off charge and it may get driven once per month. We try to keep the gas tank full because of condensation in the tank - we have forgot sometimes and not had an issue mechanically. We had an issue once with the key battery and the dealer did do some reprogramming of the comfort access but it was covered under warranty. We also dont use a BMW charger just the one we've had for 10 years that we picked up at Sears.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by abbjax
My Dads 2006 750 is on charge most of the year at a vacation home. It will sit on charge for upwards of 6 months sometimes. He travels alot and when mum is staying at the house we'll take it off charge and it may get driven once per month. We try to keep the gas tank full because of condensation in the tank - we have forgot sometimes and not had an issue mechanically. We had an issue once with the key battery and the dealer did do some reprogramming of the comfort access but it was covered under warranty. We also dont use a BMW charger just the one we've had for 10 years that we picked up at Sears.

but i heard leaving the fuel in the tunk for long stopping isn't good
becuase the fuel can Interact with tunk material and make some dirt to block the fuel lines and pumps
Old 09-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 523 2007 LCI 525 2002 Corvette Bigblock 1972

Just leave it.
No problems if you don't have a bad battery. Exchange it if doesn't work when you start it again..
Your tank are made by plastic, not metal as it use to be (Rust problems)

Ps, you can check the tier pressure before, and use the upper limit for heavy load.

//Lasse
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

thanks for the info's guys
Old 09-18-2010, 04:28 PM
@mr
Members

My Ride: BMW 525i e60 (private) M-style,, Carbon Black, HUD, MM Interface. And a BMW 325 e90 (Business),

Fuel will not interact with the metal. Just top off the tank, oil and coolant. (basically, fill all fluids to level).
Wash and wax the car. ( Do not wash it just prior to store it, or make sure it is dry (also the exhaust). I made it a good custom for my motorbike to drive it up to operating temp. before storing it. This way you will avoid condensation in your exhaust.
Put something under you windscreen wipers to take them off the glass.
Disconnect the battery. Disconnecting should not do anything to your on board computer or iDrive. Disconnecting is better than discharging as discharging disables some functions to preserve battery power.
(or put the tender on if you want)