E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northeast Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, sport package, titanium gray, black leather.

I recenty moved from Seattle to New York and had the unfortunate experience of driving my 545 in two inches on snow...
Other than keeping it in the garage for 6months of the year...any recommendations other than the obvious(X5, RangeRover Sport, A6)? :'(
Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by f=ma' post='403860' date='Mar 17 2007, 08:51 AM
I recenty moved from Seattle to New York and had the unfortunate experience of driving my 545 in two inches on snow...
Other than keeping it in the garage for 6months of the year...any recommendations other than the obvious(X5, RangeRover Sport, A6)? :'(
Some forum members swear by (not at) the practice of putting snowtires on all four corners. I think the manual has some information indicating that a single push on the "DTC" button before driving in snow makes it a more pleasant experience.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:23 AM
Members

Try snow tires. I use winter sport m3's. They give you some winter traction, and some performance.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributors

You have to swap to Snows in the upper east in the winter.
I have M3 's on all four corners in 17 " on my 545 and I have not gotten stuck the last two years, last year had more snow here in Cleveland.
I drive it daily.

DR.Z
Old 03-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

Winter Tires.

If u're not comfortable with it, you might wanna get a pair of tire chain. but with a tire chain on, you won't be able to go over

30mph.. About buying SUV, I'll recommend X5 or Range Rover rather than any other Suvs. Since You don't wanna buy

those, I would say Volvo XC 90 might be a good decision.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DR.Z' post='403869' date='Mar 17 2007, 10:01 AM
You have to swap to Snows in the upper east in the winter.
I have M3 's on all four corners in 17 " on my 545 and I have not gotten stuck the last two years, last year had more snow here in Cleveland.
I drive it daily.

DR.Z
Same thing with me, except I use the winter M3s on the stock sport package's 18-inch 124s. No problem through three winters.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just contact the Tire Rack and talk to them about your snow tire needs www.tirerack.com

Clearly you'll need 4 snow tires but what types and or what sizes will depend on your individual needs...
Old 03-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

As you found out, BMW was serious when they called your tires SUMMER tires. I think the manual has a bunch of warnings about this.

I've driven RWD cars with snow tires since 1995. I purchased my rims off ebay, got my tires at Discount tire and twice a year I load the wheels into the car, hop over to Discount Tire and they swap them out gratis.

My recommendation with TireRack is to do your OWN research - I have not found their salespeople to be ethical in what they recommend (and never have I found their recommendations to match the user ratings).
Old 03-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Great info on this forum. I pesonally did what someone else here suggested. I did my own research! Tirerack is a good source, but not the only one. Take the experience of those in this forum and then come to your own conclusion. I personally went with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter and then swap them out for Vredersteins in the summer. My next set of summer tires will be Michellin PS2s. But for the winter I couldn't find a better tire for the money than the Blizzaks. Now they are runflats, so that's another determination you'll have to make. I specifically went with the Blizzaks and will go with the Michellins is because I purchase my tires at COSTCO! They only sell Bridgestones and Michellins and you won't find it anywhere cheaper. I just happened to get a great deal on the Vredersteins. I'm not dissatisfied with them, just want to try what everyone else advised is the best tire for the E60, Michellins! Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

After 30 years of snow tire experience with BMWs, I STRONGLY suggest Tire Rack. They will get the WHEEL OFFSET RIGHT for your model and its brake calipers if you want to go for the recommended wheel and tire package. Trust me on this: the others don't and it becomes a nightmare of trial and error.

Can't imagine what you would have done in last night's 2 feet that we got here in upstate. And the good news is that you should get some spring-clearance bargains right now, for next year!
Cheers,
Ray

Quick Reply: Northeast Winter driving