E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is this normal transmission behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my car in later this month for a software update to retroactively remove the soft-stop function. My master tech thinks this will help with my inability to come to a smooth stop. I'm trying to keep my hopes up, but I honestly think my problem is transmission related. I wanted to ask a question of you all to try and prove/disprove my theory before taking the car in. I've read that less than smooth downshifts are common with these cars, but I don't recall complaints about a different issue. When reapplying the accelerator after coasting or softly braking, is it normal for the automatic transmission to hiccup/stutter for the lack of a better term. Basically, if I take my foot off the gas then put it back on to reaccelerate, I feel a slight jerk. Like most of my problems, this behavior seems to be exacerbated by putting the tranny into DS/Sport, but it's noticeable in all modes. I'm not referring to the slam which I have also experienced.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 AM
Contributors

anyone? TIA
Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Members

I have the same problem on my 545. I brought it in and the service guy said that they will be updating the software/firmware in the car to a version that was released 2 days ago. Cobradav, if you are reading this, was there a recent release of software for the 545s or the 550s?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 M5 CP

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='694431' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:16 AM
I'm taking my car in later this month for a software update to retroactively remove the soft-stop function. My master tech thinks this will help with my inability to come to a smooth stop. I'm trying to keep my hopes up, but I honestly think my problem is transmission related. I wanted to ask a question of you all to try and prove/disprove my theory before taking the car in. I've read that less than smooth downshifts are common with these cars, but I don't recall complaints about a different issue. When reapplying the accelerator after coasting or softly braking, is it normal for the automatic transmission to hiccup/stutter for the lack of a better term. Basically, if I take my foot off the gas then put it back on to reaccelerate, I feel a slight jerk. Like most of my problems, this behavior seems to be exacerbated by putting the tranny into DS/Sport, but it's noticeable in all modes. I'm not referring to the slam which I have also experienced.
I have the same problem with mine. Brought it in last month to get that looked at, and they reset the transmission, but it still happens. Let us know what happens when you get your car back, if the software update really help clear up the jerk.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by patb23' post='709814' date='Nov 1 2008, 09:36 PM
I have the same problem with mine. Brought it in last month to get that looked at, and they reset the transmission, but it still happens. Let us know what happens when you get your car back, if the software update really help clear up the jerk.
This slight kick when reapplying throttle happens to me too, I think it is normal though.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M sport

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='694431' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:16 AM

I have the same issue with my SMG tranny in my 05' 545. The jerks can sometimes be pretty violent but I think I read here that several people experience it and that it was "normal" for SMG. Keep us updated as to whether the software update helps. I have been thinking about taking it in for the software update.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='709866' date='Nov 2 2008, 12:47 PM
This slight kick when reapplying throttle happens to me too, I think it is normal though.
+1 I have this from day 1. when I got the car. So I change my driving style to over come this.
I try and not let go of my foot hard and push down right away.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='711567' date='Nov 3 2008, 11:24 PM
+1 I have this from day 1. when I got the car. So I change my driving style to over come this.
I try and not let go of my foot hard and push down right away.
I just kinda push it down slowly. But if you are in higher gears, the little jolt is significantly reduced.
I drove a Mercedes Benz GL 320 CDI the other day and the car feels SOOOOO different, it is so smooth, but overtaking takes hours.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Members

I get a slight pause when I pull away also, if I have pulled up at a junction, then go to pull out, the car moves off albeit very slowly as if in neutral and rolling or in a really high gear, then i get a slight clunking and then its as if drive has actually just engaged and then the car pulls away as normal, all this takes between 3-4 seconds.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='711766' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:50 PM
I just kinda push it down slowly. But if you are in higher gears, the little jolt is significantly reduced.
I drove a Mercedes Benz GL 320 CDI the other day and the car feels SOOOOO different, it is so smooth, but overtaking takes hours.
I know what you mean.
win some loss some.

Quick Reply: Is this normal transmission behavior?