E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

New owner of a 2008 535i (prm,sprt,ipod): When I start the car i noticed the vents turn on to lowest setting, i have to manually turn them off every time. There a way to change this setting? Tried going through the idrive menu/options, couldn't find anything that works.

also: there a good thread about the programmable buttons feature? Are the buttons programmable for each mode? So #1 can be a contact's phone number with communication but in radio one can be a radio station?

this is my first bmw (dumped my S4)...defintely gonna stay with this company for a long time...
Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='514639' date='Jan 6 2008, 10:14 PM
New owner of a 2008 535i (prm,sprt,ipod): When I start the car i noticed the vents turn on to lowest setting,

this is my first bmw (dumped my S4)...defintely gonna stay with this company for a long time...

Ya unfortunately thats how it is... its been heavily discussed and most dont like that "feature" but we've come to live with it...

Wow the BMW already made that big of an impression on you? that you'll stay with BMW for a long time?? Is BMW that much better than the S4 you dumped? What kinda S4? B5 B6 B7?
Old 01-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='514639' date='Jan 7 2008, 06:14 AM
New owner of a 2008 535i (prm,sprt,ipod): When I start the car i noticed the vents turn on to lowest setting, i have to manually turn them off every time. There a way to change this setting? Tried going through the idrive menu/options, couldn't find anything that works.

also: there a good thread about the programmable buttons feature? Are the buttons programmable for each mode? So #1 can be a contact's phone number with communication but in radio one can be a radio station?

Not sure whereabouts in the world you are, but I would add in response that not having the blowers on full when you start the car is a good feature. If the car is cold and it is freezing outside, the last thing I want is it blasting me with cold air until it reaches temperature. Once the engine is up to temperature the blower then turns up the setting automatically.

I suppose if you live in hot climates, you may want it to blow air from the outset, in which case you could try setting the automatic programme to the 'intensive' setting.

Hope you enjoy your new car btw!

LM
Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thanx for the replies guys....any help with the programmable buttons on the stereo console? Has Anyone really found them useful? If so? how?

former car B6...think the customer service I have recieved so far is outstaning and has helped me make that statement above...everytime I had to deal with Audi it seemed to be such a hassle to get some help or advice, like I as pulling teeth...although maybe I was getting such good service from BMW because I was switching over from Audi..lol...
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

Programmable buttons: I have the satellite radio & nav installed ? I have one button set to the Atlanta traffic/weather channel, another set on my wife?s office phone, another on my home address so the nav system will guide me home. The rest of the buttons are set to various satellite stations that I find interesting. I change these from time to time.

Vent fan being on. You can turn the system off by turning the fan speed all the way down (counter clockwise). It will shut off. What I can't remember is if it will stay off the next time you start the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='514717' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:17 AM
thanx for the replies guys....any help with the programmable buttons on the stereo console? Has Anyone really found them useful? If so? how?
The buttons can only be programmed for one thing, regardless of where you are (radio, phone, etc.) but they are still useful.

Learn to use voice command and between the two, you'll be set.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='514717' date='Jan 7 2008, 08:17 AM
former car B6...think the customer service I have recieved so far is outstaning and has helped me make that statement above...everytime I had to deal with Audi it seemed to be such a hassle to get some help or advice, like I as pulling teeth...although maybe I was getting such good service from BMW because I was switching over from Audi..lol...

Awesome! thats good to hear... welcome to the BMW family!