E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Non-Sport 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
UDM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visited with some friends over the weekend, one of the guys there, somebody's friend, I'm sure, had leased an 08 550i Sport in Titanium a month or so ago, so naturally, I spent some time talking to him about the car. Says, he loves the car, would not change a thing about it...except 19inch wheels. Says, two weeks after he picked it up, he took it to a car wash in Manhattan and the wheels would not fit through the car-wash railing and got scratched. He didn't notice until a day later. Says FRTs are stiff to begin with, and with low aspect sidewalls are so low to the ground, he's afraid to drive over most bridges in/out of NYC because he feels he'll tear the tires up on metal strips. I suggested, as a joke, of course, he move to So Florida where there are no old bridges and perfect roads....He replied that we should get more beer...
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Let's be clear here
A good driver will go faster around a track with the sports package - so the car DOES make a difference
The Sports Package is not a marketing gimmick - with ARS the car is more enjoyable to drive for many (myself included)
However, we are lucky that we have the option of getting it with or without the sports package. Some makes don't even get that choice or have their sports package consist of wheels and blacked out trim.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='451295' date='Jul 23 2007, 08:13 PM
Let's be clear here
A good driver will go faster around a track with the sports package - so the car DOES make a difference
The Sports Package is not a marketing gimmick - with ARS the car is more enjoyable to drive for many (myself included)
However, we are lucky that we have the option of getting it with or without the sports package. Some makes don't even get that choice or have their sports package consist of wheels and blacked out trim.
I made a clear distinction when referring to Sports Package as a marketing gimmick: in the real world, on real-world roads and for average drivers the difference between non-sport and 4600 optional Sport package is immaterial. An overwhelming majority of owners do not 'track' their new 550i BMWs so a reference to 'good driver going faster on a track with a sport package' is moot. ARS is highly subjective as well, with some arguing for a natural feel of the suspension vs sensor-controlled one. Once again, absent objective arguments to the contrary, as cool as the SP looks, there's hardly an objective justification for spending the extra 4800 dollars (almost 8% of the price of the car!) on it. But, I suppose, there's an emotional one: my lady friend thinks the SP car looks 'way cool'

As far as us being lucky, I think it is more a function of competition than luck. If BMW cars weren't appealing to drivers about to spend 60k+ (in some instances, not going to name any names, especially that of Rudy ) upwards of 80k for a mid-size sedan, rest assured we'd find another brand to spend money on. By way of example, Mercedes Benz has been offering a Sport Package as a no cost option for their excellent E350 from day one for MY07 re-fresh.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

Originally Posted by UDM' post='451298' date='Jul 23 2007, 07:26 PM
By way of example, Mercedes Benz has been offering a Sport Package as a no cost option for their excellent E350 from day one for MY07 re-fresh.
True, but it used to cost a pretty penny for that package. If you drill into the "free" 333 Sport package, it features All Season Tires (not Z-rated, like BMW), 18" Wheels (18's on the 535 and 528s, 19's's on the 550 ), Lowered Sport Suspension (I asked; it's all of 1/8" lower ), Sport Rear Bumper with Dual-Chrome Pipes, Blue-Tinted Glass, Black Birds-eye Maple Trim. For an extra $2000 you can get the 321 AMG package, which has 18" 5-spoke AMG Wheels, AMG Front Airdam and Rear Bumper with Dual Chrome Exhaust, and an AMG Leather Steering Wheel with Aluminum Shift Paddles (but no other performance enhancements). I drove an E350 Sport package equipped car. The E350 is stiffer, but to me felt too harsh, and the steering was not as precise as BMW's. It handles nothing like a BMW, although it is an improvement over the cushy regular suspension on non-sport package E's.

The BMW Sport package cars feel better to me than non-sport package BMW's. It's a matter of choice, and one that's (to me) well worth the extra dollars.

Lou
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UDM' post='451298' date='Jul 23 2007, 07:26 PM
I made a clear distinction when referring to Sports Package as a marketing gimmick: in the real world, on real-world roads and for average drivers the difference between non-sport and 4600 optional Sport package is immaterial. An overwhelming majority of owners do not 'track' their new 550i BMWs so a reference to 'good driver going faster on a track with a sport package' is moot. ARS is highly subjective as well, with some arguing for a natural feel of the suspension vs sensor-controlled one. Once again, absent objective arguments to the contrary, as cool as the SP looks, there's hardly an objective justification for spending the extra 4800 dollars (almost 8% of the price of the car!) on it. But, I suppose, there's an emotional one: my lady friend thinks the SP car looks 'way cool'

As far as us being lucky, I think it is more a function of competition than luck. If BMW cars weren't appealing to drivers about to spend 60k+ (in some instances, not going to name any names, especially that of Rudy ) upwards of 80k for a mid-size sedan, rest assured we'd find another brand to spend money on. By way of example, Mercedes Benz has been offering a Sport Package as a no cost option for their excellent E350 from day one for MY07 re-fresh.
Well we agree to disagree cause
1. I think more people take their cars to the track than you think
2. I've NEVER heard of ARS being accused of making the suspension feel un-natural (unless you are used to driving a Lexus and expect body roll)
3. The sports package costs $4,800 for in 2008 and this includes the aero package. It did not cost this amount in 06 or 07 I assure you.
4. I've driven the non-sport and sport cars back to back in "real world driving" and there is a difference (I'm not sure how many BMW drivers you see taking it easy on their cars BTW).

But hey, if you like the non-sport, nothing wrong with that - it will still out perform the majority of the cars in its class - but it won't handle as well (or as you point out, look as good) as the sport package equipped car. Seriously, no need to justify your decision and it does not "diminish" your BMW.

edit: I should have said, it will not make your car less BMW like for not having the sport package because it WILL diminish the resale value of your car by not having the sport package (based on my experience with used 545s/550s.)
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='451295' date='Jul 23 2007, 05:13 PM
Let's be clear here
I suspect the nearest that the vast majority of E60's ever get to a track is the parking lot outside.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

dude, just get your 550i w/o sport. there's no 'objective' justification for buying a 550i or any bimmer, much less a specific option. and i don't see how your bimmer is 'unique' w/o sport (remember, it also include the mtech kit) when every 530, 525, 535, etc look exactly alike in the front and sides, except for the badges in the back. some likes gravy and some don't....
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='451652' date='Jul 25 2007, 01:13 AM
I suspect the nearest that the vast majority of E60's ever get to a track is the parking lot outside.
That and a BMW Ultimate Drive experience.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
UDM
Members

I'm sure of it. My neighbor has a spanking new 528i Sport which he takes to Lime Rock every so often to meet up with his racing buddies. He parks his shiny new Space Gray 528i next to other shiny collection of new(er) cars and laps around Lime Rock in a E36 M3 prepped for that sort of thing. "Why not track the 528i?" - I asked him, "You're nuts or what? Car is 55 grand!" he replied. Then he drives at the speed limit home. Go figure

2. I've NEVER heard of ARS being accused of making the suspension feel un-natural (unless you are used to driving a Lexus and expect body roll)
No claim was made against ARS being unnatural. I wrote sensor-controlled. It is.

3. The sports package costs $4,800 for in 2008 and this includes the aero package. It did not cost this amount in 06 or 07 I assure you.

I'm assured. But the discussion is about ordering LCI 535i and 550i Sport. No mention of 06 or 07. As such, the Sport Package is 4800.

4. I've driven the non-sport and sport cars back to back in "real world driving" and there is a difference (I'm not sure how many BMW drivers you see taking it easy on their cars BTW).

There certainly is a difference. Not sure what 'real world' means to you, but in my world, you CAN drive a non-sport 550i in NYC and make it home to the suburbia under it's own power. Try that trick with a Sport Package equipped 550i and you're taking a chance it will be flat-bedded to your local friendly BMW Service department after you hit one too many choice potholes with your gorgeous new shiny 19 inch wheels/tire combo. And that's in dry weather. Attempt the same drive in North East winter months and you'll be trading that thing in for an X5 in a New York minute. But hey, it looks great in a parking lot.

But hey, if you like the non-sport, nothing wrong with that - it will still out perform the majority of the cars in its class

True that!

- but it won't handle as well (or as you point out, look as good) as the sport package equipped car. Seriously, no need to justify your decision and it does not "diminish" your BMW.

No need, indeed.

edit: I should have said, it will not make your car less BMW like for not having the sport package because it WILL diminish the resale value of your car by not having the sport package (based on my experience with used 545s/550s.)

You must have extensive experience, which I do not. But I think used car values are highly subjective. In fact, I, for one, doubt the Sport Package equipped 550i will merit $4800 more over a non-sport 550i on a used market a few years down the road.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UDM' post='468646' date='Sep 12 2007, 12:53 AM

I'm sure of it. My neighbor has a spanking new 528i Sport which he takes to Lime Rock every so often to meet up with his racing buddies. He parks his shiny new Space Gray 528i next to other shiny collection of new(er) cars and laps around Lime Rock in a E36 M3 prepped for that sort of thing. "Why not track the 528i?" - I asked him, "You're nuts or what? Car is 55 grand!" he replied. Then he drives at the speed limit home. Go figure

No claim was made against ARS being unnatural. I wrote sensor-controlled. It is.

I'm assured. But the discussion is about ordering LCI 535i and 550i Sport. No mention of 06 or 07. As such, the Sport Package is 4800.

There certainly is a difference. Not sure what 'real world' means to you, but in my world, you CAN drive a non-sport 550i in NYC and make it home to the suburbia under it's own power. Try that trick with a Sport Package equipped 550i and you're taking a chance it will be flat-bedded to your local friendly BMW Service department after you hit one too many choice potholes with your gorgeous new shiny 19 inch wheels/tire combo. And that's in dry weather. Attempt the same drive in North East winter months and you'll be trading that thing in for an X5 in a New York minute. But hey, it looks great in a parking lot.

But hey, if you like the non-sport, nothing wrong with that - it will still out perform the majority of the cars in its class

True that!

- but it won't handle as well (or as you point out, look as good) as the sport package equipped car. Seriously, no need to justify your decision and it does not "diminish" your BMW.

No need, indeed.

You must have extensive experience, which I do not. But I think used car values are highly subjective. In fact, I, for one, doubt the Sport Package equipped 550i will merit $4800 more over a non-sport 550i on a used market a few years down the road.
you sure do a lot of justification to make yourself feel good about your decision - as mentioned, go forth - we won't hold it against you.

Quick Reply: Non-Sport 550i?