E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Non-Sport 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It seems pretty clear to me that the non-sport package car is right for UDM and the sport package cars are right for the other people in this thread...including me!

Yes, I've been to many different driving schools (including one Skippy) and sure, a skilled driver in a Neon can out-perform an unskilled driver in an M3 but that doesn't mean the skilled driver doesn't wish he were in the M3!

Enjoy whatever you choose UDM and welcome to the forums! kscarrol is right -- nobody here is trying to be confrontational, if anything, they're just excited and enthusiastic about what they chose to buy/lease and that's what this place is all about...sharing our enthusiasm for all things E60...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 PM
UDM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='448635' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:06 PM
It seems pretty clear to me that the non-sport package car is right for UDM and the sport package cars are right for the other people in this thread...including me!

Yes, I've been to many different driving schools (including one Skippy) and sure, a skilled driver in a Neon can out-perform an unskilled driver in an M3 but that doesn't mean the skilled driver doesn't wish he were in the M3!

Enjoy whatever you choose UDM and welcome to the forums! kscarrol is right -- nobody here is trying to be confrontational, if anything, they're just excited and enthusiastic about what they chose to buy/lease and that's what this place is all about...sharing our enthusiasm for all things E60...
Yep, different strokes for different folks - just as long as we all agree the Sport Package is a marketing gimmick and doesn't add anything to the performance of the stock car in real world for average drivers (other than coolness factor) I'm in agreement on that.... (donning on flame-resistant suit and helmet)
Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by UDM' post='448648' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:28 PM
Yep, different strokes for different folks - just as long as we all agree the Sport Package is a marketing gimmick and doesn't add anything to the performance of the stock car in real world for average drivers (other than coolness factor) I'm in agreement on that.... (donning on flame-resistant suit and helmet)
Have you driven a car w/ ARS? It really does prevent a lot of lean in the cornering. Not all, but a lot. That's why it is more confidence inspiring in the corners.

Whether or not it actually performs better against the stopwatch is actually irrelevant. Like you said, a Neon can keep up with a M3, but why wouldn't you want to be behind the wheel of the sportier car - the M3?

As for roads in NYC, come out to one of our meets and runs, especially when the M5board members are present. We'll take you on some nice twisty roads and make sure you have a good time!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

just voicing my opinion.
one of the thing i don't like about my 525i non-sport is the very long shift, i don't know why but the stock shifter is way too long and that's the only thing (besides wanting more power) i would like bmw improves on. i actually enjoy shifting my old accord more than this! keep in mind i have my 07 for over a year now so i should all be used to it...
anyways, i wish i can have the 08 550 short shift without paying for the SP price...
but then you try out the 04 525i manual, so i imagine it should be the same as 07
Old 07-16-2007, 09:32 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='448705' date='Jul 17 2007, 01:12 AM
Have you driven a car w/ ARS? It really does prevent a lot of lean in the cornering. Not all, but a lot. That's why it is more confidence inspiring in the corners.

Whether or not it actually performs better against the stopwatch is actually irrelevant. Like you said, a Neon can keep up with a M3, but why wouldn't you want to be behind the wheel of the sportier car - the M3?

As for roads in NYC, come out to one of our meets and runs, especially when the M5board members are present. We'll take you on some nice twisty roads and make sure you have a good time!
I had a 2004 745i so I know a bit about ARS, car felt rock-solid during aggressive corners, amazing for such a heavy car. The on-board computers did all the load-leveling/balancing, which felt great if you're too lazy to pay attention to what the car is actually doing. I like to drive my cars, so my DSC button is in a perpetual state of bright yellow OFF. And nothing speaks louder to me than a natural feel of g-forces working against the suspension and the steering wheel communicating feedback to me so I can make corrections/adjustments. BMWs I have owned over the last 14 years were perfect driving machines (ultimate?) for that unmolested feel of driving experience. The day BMWs become computer driven and sensor controlled (getting pretty darn close to it already!) I'll have no choice but to switch to a lesser expensive sensor-driven brand: Lexus.

I have to get my car first, but twisties are cool with me, I'm a big fan of Westercher's Sprain up by Jackson Ave...Car-heaven in dry weather
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545i | Orient Blue | Blk Lthr | Sport | 6 Sp MT | Cold | Logic 7 | Sirius | iPod | Rear Heat | PDC | Rear SRS | NAV | HUD | AngeliBright Blue Up Next: New Radar Detector (Valentine 1 w/remote), SolarGuard 6% on all windows, Italian Euro Plate) '07 ML 500 | Alpine Blue | Blk Lthr | Pkg II | Lighting Pkg | Multicontour Seats | 6 CDC | iPod (Wife's Ride) Fond memories of: '03 540ia (the tightest car I ever owned!)

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='448194' date='Jul 15 2007, 06:10 PM
UDM, one of the things that you may have overlooked about the 550 Sport is its short-throw shifter. I've driven both, and I've got to tell you, if you drive manuals, the new short-throw will make a huge difference.

Does anyone know if this can be retrofit in an 04/05 545i with a 6 Sp Manual?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

If you don't need the sport package then saving yourself the cash is a much better option. It's not like there's windy mountain roads on your way to work.

BTW watch this to see how much difference being a GREAT DRIVER makes over having a great car.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Members

I have a 2007 550i and I work for a BMW dealership in New Jersey. I do alot of driving in Brooklyn/Westchester County and I did not get the Sport on my 550i was because of 1) Run-Flat Tires; I am not a fan of how they drive and how they wear and 2) I felt that every 550i on the road was a Sport and I was also a bit concerned about the bending rims and blown tires; however I did purchase Rim and Tire Insurance. If I was going to order a 2008, I would consider the Sport Package because of the look, the nicer steering wheel then the standard 550i, which does not have the 2 satin chrome pieces like my 2007 has and the ARS. I LOVE my 550i; my previous BMW was a 2003 540i which was a great car, also a Non-Sport. I do like the standard wheels on the 2008 alot better then on my 2007. At the end of the day, we can only offer our opinions. You have to make the final decisions because in the end, you are making the lease or finance payment!
Old 07-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i non sport monaco blue dk poplar gray leather multi contour seats NAV cold weather fold down seats comfort access Logic 7 sat ipod

We purchased a 2008 nonsport 550i. My wife didn't want the sport package. I didn't want a Lexus, so we compromised. My son has a 335i sport so the sport/paddle driving is done with it. The 550i nonsport rides wonderfully as a daily driver. The all season RS Eagle Goodyear tires are a nice plus over the Continental tires which I do not like.

Both packages are great, depending on preference.

C
Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Originally Posted by UDM' post='447572' date='Jul 14 2007, 01:24 AM
Am I the only one that is going to order a non-Sport 550i? Every 08 550i I see has the Sport on it, I may end up with a unique car
Don't know if you're leasing or buying, but I would consider resale value if you're buying and non-sport may be a harder sell. Something to consider is 550i Sport and put some non-runflat 18's on it. This way you will also get benifit of short throw shifter!!!

Quick Reply: Non-Sport 550i?