E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Non-Sport 550i?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
UDM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='447890' date='Jul 15 2007, 12:05 AM
Most ppl who want the extra power of the V8 also want the better handling of the sport pack.
Instructors at my Skip Barber performance driving class in Lime Rock, drove around the track in 'plain jane vanilla' 140hp Dodge Neon sedans with puny 15 inch all-season tires, while the students were practicing in M3 cars. None of the 'better handling' M3s driven by the students could even come close to running with the Neons driven by instructors.

IT IS NOT THE CAR THAT MAKES FOR BETTER HANDLING - ITS THE DRIVER.

Besides, For $4800 cost of the Sport Package for 550i, I'd rather register for 2 more M School classes and improve my driving skills and have mucho grande fun doing it. Then we can talk 'handling'.

Granted, the non-sport 550i won't look as 'cool' as the Sport 550i
Old 07-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

UDM, one of the things that you may have overlooked about the 550 Sport is its short-throw shifter. I've driven both, and I've got to tell you, if you drive manuals, the new short-throw will make a huge difference.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:14 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='448194' date='Jul 15 2007, 07:10 PM
UDM, one of the things that you may have overlooked about the 550 Sport is its short-throw shifter. I've driven both, and I've got to tell you, if you drive manuals, the new short-throw will make a huge difference.
I can't imagine BMW engineers designing a sub-par stock manual shifter for their 5 series flagship model.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UDM' post='448195' date='Jul 15 2007, 07:14 PM
I can't imagine BMW engineers designing a sub-par stock manual shifter for their 5 series flagship model.
As someone who has driven only manuals in 30 years of car ownership, I really do believe that you'll find a huge difference. There were many things about my 04 E60 that were corrected with the 08 550 Sport, and the biggest of these was fixing what is now the "normal" manual shifter. The throws were much longer and much less precise than those of my prior 5 (an E39) or my current 550 Sport.

I'm not trying to part you from your money, I'm just suggesting that you try both.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:42 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='448199' date='Jul 15 2007, 07:29 PM
As someone who has driven only manuals in 30 years of car ownership, I really do believe that you'll find a huge difference. There were many things about my 04 E60 that were corrected with the 08 550 Sport, and the biggest of these was fixing what is now the "normal" manual shifter. The throws were much longer and much less precise than those of my prior 5 (an E39) or my current 550 Sport.

I'm not trying to part you from your money, I'm just suggesting that you try both.
I have full confidence in BMW's engineering. 550i manual is going to be a delicious car, no matter what trim. Besides, I've driven a 2004 525 manual and thought it was a great shifting stick. Not sure what issues you may have had with yours.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

I drove a 550 non sports auto and found that it felt rather lazy in the corners compared to my MSports 530i which I had at the time.
I then drove a 550 MSports the following day and found that it felt a lot more agile in the corners.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but my previuos 530i MSports felt like it had an edge over the 550 MSports in the corners. I assume this is mainly due to the difference in engine weight.
Of course this is a small price to pay, in return for all the exta power.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by UDM' post='448161' date='Jul 15 2007, 05:44 PM
Instructors at my Skip Barber performance driving class in Lime Rock, drove around the track in 'plain jane vanilla' 140hp Dodge Neon sedans with puny 15 inch all-season tires, while the students were practicing in M3 cars. None of the 'better handling' M3s driven by the students could even come close to running with the Neons driven by instructors.

IT IS NOT THE CAR THAT MAKES FOR BETTER HANDLING - ITS THE DRIVER.

Besides, For $4800 cost of the Sport Package for 550i, I'd rather register for 2 more M School classes and improve my driving skills and have mucho grande fun doing it. Then we can talk 'handling'.

Granted, the non-sport 550i won't look as 'cool' as the Sport 550i
Yes I also have a few Skippy schools under my belt and I know firsthand that its the driver, not the car.

However, when I'm driving hard, I'd rather be driving the sportier car that feels more composed and confidence-inspiring in terms of handling.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='448560' date='Jul 16 2007, 07:29 PM
Yes I also have a few Skippy schools under my belt and I know firsthand that its the driver, not the car.

However, when I'm driving hard, I'd rather be driving the sportier car that feels more composed and confidence-inspiring in terms of handling.
How 'hard' do you drive? And where? Last I checked, New York's highest speed limit was 65 mph. Are you implying that a non-sport, flagship 2008 5 series BMW 550i 'does not feel sporty enough or composed enough to inspire confidence when driven 'hard' at those speeds? And in the hands of a trained driver who's had 'a few [performance driving school sessions] under his belt' (ironically, Skip Barber students are taught to extract maximum performance out of....4 cyl 150-170hp cars)??' Or, is your driving skill level so high, that you consistently exceed the performance envelope of a V8 powered BMW driven on public roads in New York with maximum speed limit of 65 mph or less???
Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by UDM' post='448577' date='Jul 16 2007, 07:41 PM
How 'hard' do you drive? And where? Last I checked, New York's highest speed limit was 65 mph. Are you implying that a non-sport, flagship 2008 5 series BMW 550i 'does not feel sporty enough or composed enough to inspire confidence when driven 'hard' at those speeds? And in the hands of a trained driver who's had 'a few [performance driving school sessions] under his belt' (ironically, Skip Barber students are taught to extract maximum performance out of....4 cyl 150-170hp cars)??' Or, is your driving skill level so high, that you consistently exceed the performance envelope of a V8 powered BMW driven on public roads in New York with maximum speed limit of 65 mph or less???
UDM, welcome aboard! As the "rare" owner of a non-sport 2004 545, I have been down this path with members of this board. Don't bang your head against this wall for too long, you'll just be confronted by more folks about how their sports package cars handle better. And they are technically right and are not trying to be confrontational. But you are absolutely right that unless you track the car, the daily driver is hard pressed to take advantage of the sports package. My hand was forced by the fact that back in late 2003 when I ordered my car, the sports package came with Active Steering which I found very questionable in terms of road feel. I know it has been much improved now but I have been very pleased with my non-sports package car, despite the auto tranny!! and so will you. Enjoy the car...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
UDM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='448584' date='Jul 16 2007, 08:51 PM
UDM, welcome aboard! As the "rare" owner of a non-sport 2004 545, I have been down this path with members of this board. Don't bang your head against this wall for too long, you'll just be confronted by more folks about how there sports package cars handle better. And they are technically right and are not trying to be confrontational. But you are absolutely right that unless you track the car, the daily driver is hard pressed to take advantage of the sports package. My hand was forced by the fact that back in late 2003 when I ordered my car, the sports package came with Active Steering which I found very questionable in terms of road feel. I know it has been much improved now but I have been very pleased with my non-sports package car, despite the auto tranny!! and so will you. Enjoy the car...
I personally think the Sport Package looks cool. But I question the utility of low profile 19 inch wheels/tires combo and diminshed ground clearance/suspension travel as applicable to real world driving in US. In imaginary world, or Nurburgring, or Autobahn world, I'm sure it works great.

My personal favorite is the active bolstering feature of the contour seats: yes, I surely could use the extra support to prevent me from sliding in my seat when I tackle the off-ramp on Long Island Expressway at the posted speed-limit speed of 35mph...

Quick Reply: Non-Sport 550i?