E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Non carbon black sport in the UK!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

I think Carbon will keep it's popularity, when I ordered my car I was going to order Silver Grey (my last car an M3 was Carbon) until I walked in the dealers and saw five new cars in Silver Grey. I agree that lighter colours do show off the sport kit better but I also think Carbon suits the E60 really well, helps hide some of the more controversial aspects of the styling, makes the car look sleaker.

BMW are desperately in need of some new colours, I think the one series has a couple of nice one's. The M5 has a very limited selection...Carbon isn't available!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

I think you have just proved my point David. If you were put off Silver Grey because you saw so many cars in that colour what do you think is going to happen when a used buyer sees nothing but carbon black sports.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

Originally Posted by ISUK' date='Feb 2 2005, 09:27 AM
I think you have just proved my point David. If you were put off Silver Grey because you saw so many cars in that colour what do you think is going to happen when a used buyer sees nothing but carbon black sports.
[snapback]85988[/snapback]
The reality is that Silver Grey is available on the all the big selling cars in BMW's range and is the current colour of choice. Carbon Black is only available on the 5 series Sport, the M3 and the X5 4.8i (?1000 option) so it will not be seen on every other car in the showroom. The reason so many people are ordering CB is because it's not available on BMW's in general and is thus still relatively exclusive. The vast majority of M3's are silver,black or grey...they were the choice of people two year's ago when they bought the cars new and still are on the second hand market.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Senior Members

I agree that carbon black is attracting interest due to its current rarity factor but I doubt the fact that it is not available on other models will make it more/less attractive come resale time. The point I was making is that it appears to be the current colour of choice on sport models which is not a bad thing but if I was spending my own money I would seriously consider the impact this may have when trading it in. I'm not saying the car will be worth less just that it will possibly be more difficult (and take longer) to sell as there are going to be more models on the used market in this colour. This belief is based upon my own experience of Sterling grey on my Z4, a colour which I personally think suits the car best. That doesn't count for much though if the buyer does not agree.

BMW has had a habit in recent years of making formerly exclusive M colours available on non M models - Estoril blue, Imola red, and now Carbon black. Carbon black has been available on any X5 sport as an extra cost paint option since November last year by the way along with Estoril blue.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:25 AM
Members

Shame I could only stretch to Jet Black on my forthcoming 520 Sport. Having seen the stunning Imola red in this months BMW Car magazine I would have ordered a red one if this was available as a standard colour.
Mark-Yorkshire
P.S. ISUK, If you are passing by our friendly BMW dealer please look out for my new car as it has arrived and is being delivered to me 1st March.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently in a 2003 e46 M3 Cab Waiting to get a 535d Sport with individual and all the extras...

See, My M3 is Carbonblack, and I love it, so I have the right to choose carbon
Old 02-02-2005, 02:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Olly2000' date='Feb 2 2005, 04:31 AM
See, My M3 is Carbonblack, and I love it, so I have the right to choose carbon
[snapback]85995[/snapback]

I'll get my coat....
Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently in a 2003 e46 M3 Cab Waiting to get a 535d Sport with individual and all the extras...

Actually I might have been tempted with Sapphire black if you could get it on sports...but carbon it was...mmmm blue.....
Old 02-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

I really want to see a *green* sport - it was the only colour that tempted me (away from..... Carbon :-) ) but I just couldn't visualise it :-(
Old 02-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by clived' date='Feb 2 2005, 01:59 PM
I really want to see a *green* sport - it was the only colour that tempted me (away from..... Carbon :-) ) but I just couldn't visualise it :-(
[snapback]86030[/snapback]
I was tempted to go for the Malachite Green by the other half, but common sense prevailed

Quick Reply: Non carbon black sport in the UK!!