E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noisy Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 06:28 PM
Geo
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

Now that it is summer time in the US, I now like to drive with the sunroof open. Only problem is that it generates a lot of wind noise -- much more than my previous car. I also noticed that if I pull down the pop-up wind deflector while driving, it gets quieter - much quieter. What is the purpose of the wind deflector? It doesn't seem to deflect much wind and just adds noise. Has anyone removed it?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Jet Black/Black Leather AUTO Sport Package Cold Weather Package Navigation Logic 7 Audio Satellite Radio Fold Down Rear Seats

Mine makes a loud poping noise everytime I open and close it... it sounds like the glass is breaking!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by SinisterJ' post='271999' date='Apr 20 2006, 08:03 PM
Mine makes a loud poping noise everytime I open and close it... it sounds like the glass is breaking!
I've heard of two kinds of issues - one is a noise when it is sliding closed, the other is when it closes from a "rear lifted vent" position. I'm not sure about the 1st one, but the second one has a service bulletin on it - apparently the edge of the glass interferes with the edge of the plastic rain gutter, and it makes that snapping sound when the glass is finally forced past the plastic edge. The service bulletin directs the tech to file a couple of millimieters of plastic off the edge of the rain gutter to create the proper clearance. I don't have access to my collection of bulletins right now, but I can find it for you tomorrow.

Maybe someone else can help with the first kind of noise...

Regards, Jon.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Senior Members

[quote name='jmdhuse' date='Apr 21 2006, 12:52 AM' post='272050']
I've heard of two kinds of issues - one is a noise when it is sliding closed, the other is when it closes from a "rear lifted vent" position. I'm not sure about the 1st one, but the second one has a service bulletin on it - apparently the edge of the glass interferes with the edge of the plastic rain gutter, and it makes that snapping sound when the glass is finally forced past the plastic edge. The service bulletin directs the tech to file a couple of millimieters of plastic off the edge of the rain gutter to create the proper clearance. I don't have access to my collection of bulletins right now, but I can find it for you tomorrow.

The opening/closing noise is a known isssue, although there is currently only a temorary fix. The issue with the "booming can't be dealt with much. You could install an aftermarket deflector up there and it would help, but wouldn't be very attractive....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='272050' date='Apr 21 2006, 01:52 AM

Regards, Jon.

Heh, there's a third... mine rattles pretty much all the time. Sounds like a rubberized cable slapping against the roof or headliner when I go over semi-rough surfaces. The car hasn't been in yet, but I intend to have them address this at the first service.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Arrow

Had the same problem with the open/closing noise and there is a FIX,its a simple adjustment that takes all of about 10 minutes if that.
cheers
vern
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='272177' date='Apr 21 2006, 07:51 AM
Heh, there's a third... mine rattles pretty much all the time. Sounds like a rubberized cable slapping against the roof or headliner when I go over semi-rough surfaces. The car hasn't been in yet, but I intend to have them address this at the first service.
Does this only happen when the sunroof is open? I currently have a 2006 525xi as a loaner, and I can hear a rattle when the sunroof is open when going over large expansion joints in the road.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

All good info - BUT the question was referring to wind noise with the Sunroof open.

I agree there is a lot of wind noise with the sunroof open, but I thought that was pretty much normal with any sun roof.

I guess the solution is one of those plastic wind deflectors, but I don't like the looks of them.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Noisy Sunroof-moonroof1.gifNoisy Sunroof-moonroof2.gif
Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='272050' date='Apr 20 2006, 10:52 PM

Regards, Jon.
Here are images of the SIB I was referring to...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Geo
Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by jsal' post='272243' date='Apr 21 2006, 11:49 AM
All good info - BUT the question was referring to wind noise with the Sunroof open.

I agree there is a lot of wind noise with the sunroof open, but I thought that was pretty much normal with any sun roof.

I guess the solution is one of those plastic wind deflectors, but I don't like the looks of them.

Jsal, Thanks for trying to get this topic back on track. Did you try holding down the pop-up wind defector when the sunroof is in the open position?

Quick Reply: Noisy Sunroof