E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noisy Interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did a search as I am pretty sure that my luck is not that bad to be the only one with this problem. I came up on this thread, however it is not exactly as this thread talks about.....or is it?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...noise&st=15

I've been reading that many have said its the door seals or sometimes the windows. Also, it has also been mentioned that it is a squeaky noise, mine on the other hand sounds more like leather rubbing against leather on EVERY SINGLE BUMP! It also doesn't sound like its coming from the doors, it sounds like its coming from every part of the interior. Is this the same issue everybody else is having? Or do I have another problem on my hand?

It sure is annoying, my car is still under CPO. My car has been in the shop quite a few times since I bought her and my SA and I simply laugh every time a new problem arises (because we can't do anything but laugh about it). But I'd like to take care of this issue as early as possible because when I have family or clients in the car, it is kind of embarrasing (I hate to use that word about my car, especially a bimmer) that the interior makes so much noise. I don't know how the previous owner dealt with it for 35K miles and not had it fixed!

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Contributors

anybody?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='918123' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:05 PM
anybody?
Try this: Open every window just few millimeters, then drive around. If it's the door seals, this test might reveal it.

When windows are fully closed, the door frame becomes much more inflexibe and the seals may produce noise --> while windows opened the door frame "gives up" more and the noise disappears. Assuming it's the door seals of course...
Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='918132' date='Jun 20 2009, 12:23 PM
Try this: Open every window just few millimeters, then drive around. If it's the door seals, this test might reveal it.

When windows are fully closed, the door frame becomes much more inflexibe and the seals may produce noise --> while windows opened the door frame "gives up" more and the noise disappears. Assuming it's the door seals of course...

Ok definitely going to try that. If it works and the noise stops or does not become so apparent, I would need the BMW techs to add a new seal right?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='918144' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:58 PM
Ok definitely going to try that. If it works and the noise stops or does not become so apparent, I would need the BMW techs to add a new seal right?
Yes. But I've heard people complaining about the noise coming back again even after seal replacement. Ask them to put a teflon tape on the door frames too, it's part of the fix.

I have a 2004 car and I found out my door seals squeak. So I started to solve the mystery and realized that if I don't dry up the seals and door frames (on the car body) after a wash VERY carefully, the seals will squeak. If driving through a touchless car wash, where the washing machine applies a hot wax in the end of program, the score will be HORRENDOUS squeak.

Then I read about a door seal treatment product that contains no silicone and tried that. Absolutely no squeaking in couple of months! But I still need to dry the seals after a regular wash. And if driving in a touchless car wash, I don't take any waxes on the program. The door seal treatment stuff is made by Shell and it's a little stick like a deodorant stick. I don't know if it's available anywhere else but here... There must be similar products available though.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i xDrive M-sport

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='918150' date='Jun 20 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes. But I've heard people complaining about the noise coming back again even after seal replacement. Ask them to put a teflon tape on the door frames too, it's part of the fix.

I have a 2004 car and I found out my door seals squeak. So I started to solve the mystery and realized that if I don't dry up the seals and door frames (on the car body) after a wash VERY carefully, the seals will squeak. If driving through a touchless car wash, where the washing machine applies a hot wax in the end of program, the score will be HORRENDOUS squeak.

Then I read about a door seal treatment product that contains no silicone and tried that. Absolutely no squeaking in couple of months! But I still need to dry the seals after a regular wash. And if driving in a touchless car wash, I don't take any waxes on the program. The door seal treatment stuff is made by Shell and it's a little stick like a deodorant stick. I don't know if it's available anywhere else but here... There must be similar products available though.
I had the same problem, I noticed it after I took the car to the dealer for an airbag sensor recall that was underneath the passenger's side mat. Every time I hit a bump it would squeak, after about a week of driving around feeling around the interior until the squeak stopped I finally figured it out. Underneath the passenger's seat there is a plastic piece that wraps around the leather, it snaps in and apparently the tabs were broken so it wiggled around every time I hit a bump. I used some double stick velcro to secure it until I get some time to take it back to the dealer. Check it out...as you approach a bump stick your hand underneath the passenger's seat and see if it stops. There are a million places where a car's interior can squeak but this took care of mine.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525i//m' post='918181' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:37 PM
I had the same problem, I noticed it after I took the car to the dealer for an airbag sensor recall that was underneath the passenger's side mat. Every time I hit a bump it would squeak, after about a week of driving around feeling around the interior until the squeak stopped I finally figured it out. Underneath the passenger's seat there is a plastic piece that wraps around the leather, it snaps in and apparently the tabs were broken so it wiggled around every time I hit a bump. I used some double stick velcro to secure it until I get some time to take it back to the dealer. Check it out...as you approach a bump stick your hand underneath the passenger's seat and see if it stops. There are a million places where a car's interior can squeak but this took care of mine.
That's nice to know! Thanks!
Albeit you have to have quite long arms to do that while driving and still being able to see forwards !
Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Hmmmmm lots of mention of squeaks, is it the same as a leather rubbing leather sound? B/c my noise is nothing like a squeak.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='918198' date='Jun 20 2009, 04:53 PM
Hmmmmm lots of mention of squeaks, is it the same as a leather rubbing leather sound? B/c my noise is nothing like a squeak.
Is it more like a small snap?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I had that seal problem 2 years ago and the dealer replaced the all door seals. So far so good, the noise has not been back since. But I probably need to do some maintenance to keep them quiet.

Quick Reply: Noisy Interior