E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Noisy Dunlop Run Flats! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008 | 09:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

hey guys i just bought a 2004 545i with 46k miles a few weeks ago, after reading alot on this forum i have learned that im not the only one with this noisy Dunlop RF problem. ive searched but didnt find the answer to my question so here it goes. ive read the Dunlop bulletin about how you have to have less than 20,000 miles on the tires to have them replaced free of charge by BMW but how do i know how many miles are on my set since i bought the car used? i would love to have them replaced since they are very loud and i dont really want to pay for a new set. also i doubt these are the first set of tires that it came with because i dont think they would of held up this long so its gotta be at least the second set, im just hoping they have less than 20k on them. how can i find out?

thanks guys
Old 02-26-2008 | 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='536566' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:14 PM
hey guys i just bought a 2004 545i with 46k miles a few weeks ago, after reading alot on this forum i have learned that im not the only one with this noisy Dunlop RF problem. ive searched but didnt find the answer to my question so here it goes. ive read the Dunlop bulletin about how you have to have less than 20,000 miles on the tires to have them replaced free of charge by BMW but how do i know how many miles are on my set since i bought the car used? i would love to have them replaced since they are very loud and i dont really want to pay for a new set. also i doubt these are the first set of tires that it came with because i dont think they would of held up this long so its gotta be at least the second set, im just hoping they have less than 20k on them. how can i find out?

thanks guys
I'd hate to be a naysayer, but without knowing where the tires were bought, how old the tires are, who mounted them, how many miles on them, etc - I can't see BMW or almost any business outside of Dunlop themselves being willing to assume responsibility for replacing those tires over road noise, especially on a 2nd owner vehicle. Determining the amount of tread life remaining may give you some indication as to the tires age. Here's how to perform simple tests that'll give you a pretty good estimate of remaining tread life:

Tread Life
Old 02-27-2008 | 12:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='536566' date='Feb 27 2008, 07:14 AM
noisy Dunlop RF problem.

The only good location for Dunlop RF is the trash
Old 02-27-2008 | 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The fact that they are Dunlop runflats and they're likely not the original set tells me that they may have already been replaced once under the service bulletin. If that's the case, an authorized BMW dealer would have done the change so the vehicle's service history should indicate the change and the mileage at which it was performed.

It's a long shot, I know, but did you have your dealer pull the service history of the car?
Old 02-27-2008 | 07:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='536652' date='Feb 27 2008, 10:52 AM
The fact that they are Dunlop runflats and they're likely not the original set tells me that they may have already been replaced once under the service bulletin. If that's the case, an authorized BMW dealer would have done the change so the vehicle's service history should indicate the change and the mileage at which it was performed.

It's a long shot, I know, but did you have your dealer pull the service history of the car?
no i havent but i sure will when i go back to get my cracked wood trim replaced. ill let you guys know
Old 02-27-2008 | 07:56 PM
Senior Members

The only good location for Dunlop RF is the trash
Before the Dunlop Run Flats that came on my 545i I never had a set of tires that I refused drive on. They are terrible and screw up the cars dynamics.
Old 02-27-2008 | 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

It's amazing how different models made by the same manufacturer can differ in quality and performance. I have read nothing positive about Dunlop runflats but my Winter M3s are superb.
Old 02-27-2008 | 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='537053' date='Feb 28 2008, 12:12 AM
It's amazing how different models made by the same manufacturer can differ in quality and performance. I have read nothing positive about Dunlop runflats but my Winter M3s are superb.
For me, the Dunlops were a positive because I kept getting new ones every 8000 miles for free!

(Sure, they were a little stiffer but I didn't mind them too much...)
Old 02-28-2008 | 04:42 AM
Senior Members

I have about 18,000 miles on my car and my Dunlop RF's started getting much noisier about 3,000 miles ago. My SA told me that noise is not the only driver to have them replaced under the service bulletin. According to him, they also need to show uneven wear. Unfortunately, mine do not. The tread shows no uneven wear on any of the tires so I guess I will be replacing them on my own.
Old 02-28-2008 | 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='537180' date='Feb 28 2008, 08:42 AM
I have about 18,000 miles on my car and my Dunlop RF's started getting much noisier about 3,000 miles ago. My SA told me that noise is not the only driver to have them replaced under the service bulletin. According to him, they also need to show uneven wear. Unfortunately, mine do not. The tread shows no uneven wear on any of the tires so I guess I will be replacing them on my own.
All tires will get noisier as they wear down. In the case of the Dunlops, the irregular wear was quite obvious and would happen as early as 7000 miles or so. If your tires have 18,000 on them and they began to get noisy at around 15,000, it sounds like everything is "normal" on your car. Getting 18,000 miles out of a Z-rated tire is pretty good, actually...

Quick Reply: Noisy Dunlop Run Flats! Need Help