E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No SOS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Looked in the manual....either I'm blind, or it doesn't mention it. The other day when I cranked up the car, a minute or so after I got a "ding" and SOS with a line through it displayed on the I-drive and cluster. Shortly after, the I drive re-booted, but didn't go back to the menu screen..instead it got stuck on the black "BMW" screen. At this time, there were no radio control, or phone. About 7-8 minutes later the I drive finished booting and went to the main menu...then everything was fine from there. Hasn't done it again since.
So what does no SOS mean? Should I take the car in to have checked out?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

I think it means that the car's cell phone (used to provide the BMW Assist feature) could not find a cell tower signal at that moment... Hence the SOS function could not operate if you were to get in a crash at that location.

Cheers, Jon.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1007220' date='Sep 14 2009, 10:27 AM
Looked in the manual....either I'm blind, or it doesn't mention it. The other day when I cranked up the car, a minute or so after I got a "ding" and SOS with a line through it displayed on the I-drive and cluster. Shortly after, the I drive re-booted, but didn't go back to the menu screen..instead it got stuck on the black "BMW" screen. At this time, there were no radio control, or phone. About 7-8 minutes later the I drive finished booting and went to the main menu...then everything was fine from there. Hasn't done it again since.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1007220' date='Sep 14 2009, 01:27 PM
I used to get them all the time on my 2006 with original software. I complained to dealer and was told that a car of such sophistication with all these sensors is bound to pick up glitches, but if they go away it's OK. Later, they re-programmed the software because of some tranny issues and have not had this "glitch" or the mute glitch since then.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='1007447' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:48 PM
I think it means that the car's cell phone (used to provide the BMW Assist feature) could not find a cell tower signal at that moment... Hence the SOS function could not operate if you were to get in a crash at that location.

Cheers, Jon.
It happened in my garage.....which it's in and out of everyday....fist time it has done that at that location.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1007458' date='Sep 14 2009, 04:57 PM
I used to get them all the time on my 2006 with original software. I complained to dealer and was told that a car of such sophistication with all these sensors is bound to pick up glitches, but if they go away it's OK. Later, they re-programmed the software because of some tranny issues and have not had this "glitch" or the mute glitch since then.
I'll keep an eye on it I guess and see if it does it again. The car was actually at the dealer a few months ago for a software update because of slow i-drive boot-ups...so I assume I have the latest and greatest...but you never know
Old 09-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

So is this SOS feature supposed to work forever, like even after warranty, etc? I got that no SOS thing a long time ago and just figured it was a free trial type of thing and that it's over.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jello' post='1008146' date='Sep 15 2009, 09:03 AM
So is this SOS feature supposed to work forever, like even after warranty, etc? I got that no SOS thing a long time ago and just figured it was a free trial type of thing and that it's over.
I have 52k on mine......still under the CPO extended warranty though.
You guys seem to be missing the important thing here.......the i-drive was locked up for almost 10 minutes.....should that be addressed to bmw? Is this a common thing? This is the first time it's done it since the new software, which was done about 3 months ago. It did the same "no sos" i drive freeze-up thing 3 times before on the old software.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1008411' date='Sep 15 2009, 02:37 PM
I have 52k on mine......still under the CPO extended warranty though.
You guys seem to be missing the important thing here.......the i-drive was locked up for almost 10 minutes.....should that be addressed to bmw? Is this a common thing? This is the first time it's done it since the new software, which was done about 3 months ago. It did the same "no sos" i drive freeze-up thing 3 times before on the old software.
You should definitely bring that up to the dealer and have them address it properly. If the CCC goes after your CPO warranty expires you'll be looking at a $2K bill.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Black Sapphire 2004 5.30i

if you're under warranty i'd take it in too...

i had a mildly similar situation...

my "no SOS" warning comes up everytime i start my car...a few months ago i had a recall fixed and asked them to potentially hook up my ipod adapter as well...

they told me the iPod adapter could potentially not work because i had an "inactive TCU"....which also caused my "no SOS" warning everytime i started my car....
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='1007220' date='Sep 14 2009, 01:27 PM
If your I-Drive is inactive, SOS is disabled as the microphone will not work. I had the SOS disabled message when I disconnected my CCC (Idrive unit).

Quick Reply: No SOS?