E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No feedback on LCI controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we keep reading that there will be no feedback on the LCI's iDrive controller. I presume that that means that we don't feel "indents" as we progress through options or a hard stop at the end of options. This is a feature that I really, really like so I'm a bit concerned that it's going away.

If I'm not mistaking, the feedback feature was previously only included in cars with (Professional) Nav, at least in the US. If that's right, can people that have used iDrive both with and without the feedback feature comment on the difference?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM
TC.
Members

My Ride: 535d m sport - 9 Weeks to go!!

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='393284' date='Feb 19 2007, 10:53 PM
So we keep reading that there will be no feedback on the LCI's iDrive controller. I presume that that means that we don't feel "indents" as we progress through options or a hard stop at the end of options. This is a feature that I really, really like so I'm a bit concerned that it's going away.

If I'm not mistaking, the feedback feature was previously only included in cars with (Professional) Nav, at least in the US. If that's right, can people that have used iDrive both with and without the feedback feature comment on the difference?
Can't comment on the comparison request however the dealer told me that extensive negative feedback (pardon the pun) globally led to its demise...........
Old 02-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 530D Sport Auto plus bits.

I have an '05 E60 with Pro-Nav and the feedback on the controller is fine until you have to scroll through a big list such as the TMC alerts or POI list. At that point the continuous scrolling seems to be pressure dependent against the feedback mechanism and it would be much easier just to spin the controller rather than have to wait for it to jog through each entry.

BTW I have an LCI model on order so I'll provide an update when I get the new one.

Fatlab
Old 02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

The i-Drive controller of my car has no feedback which I really prefer. One of my friend has a newer E60 with a feedback controller and I really wonder how he can use it. It's impossible to roll across a list or even to rapidly go to 3 or 4 options ahead. :thumbsdown:
Old 02-21-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fantomas' post='393812' date='Feb 21 2007, 05:03 AM
The i-Drive controller of my car has no feedback which I really prefer. One of my friend has a newer E60 with a feedback controller and I really wonder how he can use it. It's impossible to roll across a list or even to rapidly go to 3 or 4 options ahead. :thumbsdown:
Can you tell me a few things:

I like to "scroll" through radio stations using the iDrive controller. With the feedback "indents", I know when I've hit the next station. Without the indents, do I have to look down at the display to determine when I hit the next station, or is it obvious in some way without looking down?

When you get to the end of a list, does the controller stop turning, or again do you have to look down to realize you're at the end?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='393887' date='Feb 21 2007, 09:22 AM
Can you tell me a few things:

I like to "scroll" through radio stations using the iDrive controller. With the feedback "indents", I know when I've hit the next station. Without the indents, do I have to look down at the display to determine when I hit the next station, or is it obvious in some way without looking down?

When you get to the end of a list, does the controller stop turning, or again do you have to look down to realize you're at the end?

Thanks for the help.
There are still "indents" of a sort, just not feed back. The rolling of the knob is not just a smooth spin, there are individual "clicks" (for lack of a better word) as you scroll, so you can count along. Say you are listening to a CD and you are on song 2 but want to listen to song 6, you can spin the knob 4 clicks and you will be on song 6, and you can do it without having to look down at the screen, just count the "clicks". Same for the radio, one "click" is the next station. Hope that makes some sense.

When you get to the end of a list, yes you can keep spinning the knob but the selection on the screen will stop at the last menu item, it won't contiuously scroll through the end and start again at the beginning. That's in the menu portion, in the CD screen if there are only 12 songs on a disc and you are on song 10 and spin the knob 4 "clicks", you'l go to song 2...
Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='393888' date='Feb 21 2007, 10:31 AM
There are still "indents" of a sort, just not feed back. The rolling of the knob is not just a smooth spin, there are individual "clicks" (for lack of a better word) as you scroll, so you can count along. Say you are listening to a CD and you are on song 2 but want to listen to song 6, you can spin the knob 4 clicks and you will be on song 6, and you can do it without having to look down at the screen, just count the "clicks". Same for the radio, one "click" is the next station. Hope that makes some sense.

When you get to the end of a list, yes you can keep spinning the knob but the selection on the screen will stop at the last menu item, it won't contiuously scroll through the end and start again at the beginning. That's in the menu portion, in the CD screen if there are only 12 songs on a disc and you are on song 10 and spin the knob 4 "clicks", you'l go to song 2...
Thank you. I feel much better. Knowing that there are "clicks" (what I've been calling "indents") makes all the difference. Too bad it won't stop spinning at the end of a menu, but I can live with that.