E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

no engine/water temp guages

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='739518' date='Dec 6 2008, 11:13 AM
i expect this has been done to death, but i need to add some sort of aftermarket device/way of reading the engine temperture. (a personal thing, where i need to be aware of engine temp) i cant beleive BMW have not included a temp guage or at least some sort of lighting system to keep us aware.
...a simple light is not good enough...i need to see the guage creaping up if there is a problem, when im stuck on the M25 in 4 hours of trafic jams.

thoughts?

I agree with you 100%. I just got my 550i about three weeks ago and am having a very hard time "trusting the technology."

My problem with idiot lights is that they tell you you've got to stop on the side of the highway RIGHT NOW to wait for the flatbed truck. Guages warn you earlier, and let you judge whether you can get to the next exit and hang out in the coffee shop.

I really want an oil temp and oil pressure guage. My car's under warranty right now, but when it expires there's got to be a way to add in some proper-looking VDO guages.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with if you go forward with installation. Some people mount OBD readers like this: http://www.scangauge.com/features/ to their dasboards but it looks kind of hokey.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by cokeefe' post='739731' date='Dec 6 2008, 04:47 PM
I agree with you 100%. I just got my 550i about three weeks ago and am having a very hard time "trusting the technology."

My problem with idiot lights is that they tell you you've got to stop on the side of the highway RIGHT NOW to wait for the flatbed truck. Guages warn you earlier, and let you judge whether you can get to the next exit and hang out in the coffee shop.

I really want an oil temp and oil pressure guage. My car's under warranty right now, but when it expires there's got to be a way to add in some proper-looking VDO guages.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with if you go forward with installation.
Dead on - you and Dr Dave are 100% right. I felt the same way. I had a fair few false warnings crop up on my 550, too many for me to truly trust whether or not the sensors and related programming were really up to the job. There's certainly some irony in the fact that a brand built for enthusiasts by enthusiasts feels the need to dumb things down. On my 997, I have separate gauges for oil temp, coolant temp and oil pressure - these really are a minimum. Mind you - I don't have a dipstick on the Porsche as they also saw fit to replace it with an electronic gauge (perhaps for different reasons given the 911's engine design).

Anyway - you're right. It would be better if the car gave you the information you need.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Egypt_525i' post='739689' date='Dec 6 2008, 03:01 PM
or on the light/signal lever by pressing and holding the check button.
Well, I didn't know that - I'll try it! Very cool tip, you should put it on the tips and tricks thread.

Cal
Old 12-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

They should of put a temp gauge in place of the useless mpg gauge
Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='739569' date='Dec 6 2008, 02:15 PM
If I don't recall wrongly, the E39 had a temp meter but the E46 for sure did have.

I think that leaving the temp meter off, only was a "cool thing" to do (trust the tech).

But then all future BMW's will have turbos, so there should be:
Engine coolant, oil temp, turbo temp and turbo pressure indicators/instruments.
the E39 have a temp meter. it is palced at the far right of your gauges.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

You can get the ACM module. They have a temp read on the idrive.

Also, I'm not sure, but you can retrofit the M5 cluster on the e60. The M5 has the temp readout and I think it works when retrofitted.

Two OEM options. Just costs a little more than a normal gauge.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by cokeefe' post='739731' date='Dec 6 2008, 07:47 PM
I'll be interested to see what you come up with if you go forward with installation. Some people mount OBD readers like this: http://www.scangauge.com/features/ to their dasboards but it looks kind of hokey.
Great idea! It looks like the Scangauge addresses many of the data collection points (including water temp) and several I hadn't thought of. I've been looking into gauges for some time but haven't liked the idea of analog connections through the firewall. I also like the top speed feature (up to 158 MPH) and all the OBDII functionality. (Funny sidenote in the FAQ's "Can I tell how far and how fast my teenager drove my car last night?")

It also would fit perfectly in the worthless dash storage bin in my '04:

no engine/water temp guages-bmw_dashbin.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this gauge? Any reason it wouldn't work?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='739923' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:54 AM
You can get the ACM module. They have a temp read on the idrive.

Also, I'm not sure, but you can retrofit the M5 cluster on the e60. The M5 has the temp readout and I think it works when retrofitted.

Two OEM options. Just costs a little more than a normal gauge.
excellent, i cant use the M5 cluster as my car is a diesel, and has different guages to the petrol cars,
but im interested in the ACM module??? what is this, please tell me more?
thanks for your imput.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

This thread might help.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=34350&hl=

The ACM module also has the ability to retrofit the USB feature too, but that's a whole other thread. Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributors

thank you sir.

Quick Reply: no engine/water temp guages