E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No cat-back exhaust options for e60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
The most recent car I actively modified was an '05 350z roadster. When it came to exhausts, most were cat-back applications. Now that I have the 550i, I'm shocked to see that most of the single exhaust options (not interested in quad setups) require that you cut the stock exhaust and use a clamp to hold the aftermarket exhaust.

Why are third parties not providing true cat-back solutions for our e60's?

Thanks,

Rob
It really makes a lot of sense if you keep the original cat-back section when you sell the vehicle. The new owner then has a very simple and effective means to return the vehicle to its original "silent" sound if he so chooses.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cat backs on most modern cars are simply not necessary or worth the extra cost to the manufactueres due to offering no gains.

Moder cars, especially the e60 has a very efficient route from engine-headers-exhaust piping-muffler that there is no benefit to be had but replacing all that after-cat piping. The only true restrictive part of a modern car is the rear muffler as it is made for sound deadening. The piping leading up to the rear muffler is very straight, soft bends and a good size-so it is easier to offer replacment rear mufflers as that will offer as much performance as a cat-back in the majority of non-turbo modern cars.

Less work to install too-and offers all the same sound benefit.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response, Diamond. I wasn't thinking there were additional gains to be had through a cat-back option, I view this option as a "cleaner" approach to changing out our exhaust. No cutting and changing back to stock would be as easy as tossing the car on a lift.

It's my understanding that the bolts on the back end of the cats are easy to reach. I can only think that third parties don't want to take the time to prepare a proper two piece (necessary so it can be shipped) cat-back option either because they are lazy or don't want to spend the R&D dollars. Does anyone know the interior diameter of the cat-back exhaust prior to the muffler? Would the 550i benefit from larger diameter tubing?

I know a certain amount of back-pressure is necessary, but the third party vendors for the 350z community spent a lot of time researching these issues for optimal gains.