E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

no 1 like run-flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='462848' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:11 PM
how soon do you need to recharge the nitrogen? it leaks quite fast, yeah?

Probably about the same as with regular air... or just a tad longer.

The benefits are:

1) Reduced oxidation of rubber compounds - which should extend the life of a tire before the materials fail - which probably isn't very useful unless you keep tires a long time.

2) Reduces pressure loss - this is somewhat useful as it extends the time before you need to add "air" to compensate for the air that seeped through the casing - but a lot of the air loss is around the beads where it contacts the rim so that's not as useful as it sounds. Besides even if you only check your tires twice a year (when the weather changes from hot to cold or the other way), you should be able to tell when you need to "top up" and it's not all that difficult.

3) And the reason NASCAR (and other racing series use nitrogen) - there is no water introduced into the tire. Water, in liquid form, can change the way the heat buildup affects the pressure buildup. For racing this is very important as this affects the handling of the car. But on the street, this has almost no meaning as the differences are small and most folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference - not mention use the difference to their advantage.

All the other benefits that are sometimes sited are bogus because you can get those same benefits if you properly inflate your tires with air.

Costco will do it for you here in the states... have you seen tires with the green cap... those are nitrogen filled tires HIDIOUS! hahahaha

Oh heres some FAQs on nitrogen filled tires...

What immediate benefits can be expected from Nitrogen filled tires?

Better Maintenance of Tire Air Pressure
Because of the larger molecular size of Nitrogen, it migrates through a tire 3 to 4 times slower than oxygen.

Lower Fuel Consumption
Better tire air pressures improve rolling resistance and reduce the risk of running tires under-inflated.

Is having Nitrogen in my tires dangerous?

Absolutely not. Nitrogen is an inert gas, which means that it does not support combustion.

What are the long-term benefits of Nitrogen filled tires?

Extended Tire Life
With tires maintaining better pressure, tire life can be significantly extended.

Oxidation is Eliminated
With Nitrogen, there is no more oxidation of inner liners, belt packages, valve stem hardware or air pressure monitoring devices.

Improved Retreadability
Nitrogen doesn?t cause tire rubber to break down as quickly as regular air and with the elimination of oxidation, Nitrogen filled truck tires have often had 4 or more retread lives.
Stronger casings = more retreads.

No More Rim Rust
Nitrogen is completely dry. Condensation is eliminated.

On the Road Reliability
Decreased tire failures reduce costly down time.

What if one of my tires is low and I?m not close to a service center that has nitrogen?

It won?t harm your tires to ?top them off? with regular air if necessary? but the more air you put in, the less benefit you?ll get from the remaining Nitrogen in your tire. It is important to get your tire re-filled with Nitrogen when possible.

Is Nitrogen harmful to the environment?

No, Nitrogen is a natural inert gas that makes up 78% of the air we breathe.

Hummm so if regular air is already 78% nitrogen how much EXTRA benefit is it really for the other 22%?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='462848' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:11 AM
how soon do you need to recharge the nitrogen? it leaks quite fast, yeah?
Nitrogen almost no leaks so most of the time no need to recharge, only if you have a puncher
I have had Nitrogen in my car for over 16 months now and I have no leak at all and nevre had to top up.
If you do have leak which is rare then just take it back to the tire shop and they should top up for free.
maybe ask them before you get it, will they top up for free if the tires have a little low on presher.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='462861' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:38 AM
Hummm so if regular air is already 78% nitrogen how much EXTRA benefit is it really for the other 22%?
alot try it and you will see.

any way thanks for post the info, I'm not a tec guy so hard for me to look up these things.
all I know it works very well for just $20us in HK
Old 08-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='462869' date='Aug 26 2007, 08:09 PM
alot try it and you will see.

any way thanks for post the info, I'm not a tec guy so hard for me to look up these things.
all I know it works very well for just $20us in HK

I probably should but too lazy. I check my tires all the time and like to know what they're at... so not having to check them months a time will probably scare me.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='461755' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:24 PM
Written for the US market, so can't comment on the price.

But agree they are not so easy to find from dealers, they often have to be ordered in, they are harder to get repaired and they do have a very limited 'run-flat' mileage. Sometimes less than 50 miles depending on passenger load.

Not sure about greater wear rates, they are a harder compound so should last longer.

My RE050 were horrible to ride on, but the tread life seemed fine.
I would never buy my tyres from a dealer and online suppliers make RFTs EASY to find (in the UK) and at the "huge" markup (against top echelon conventional tyre prices) of about 3%. Or just over a fiver.

I had no problem getting one of my RFTs mended for ten quid.

Oh.

After 19,500 miles, I had 5mm (rear) and 7mm (front) tread remaining and have just had the wheels cycled so that deepest tread is on the rears.

Will be going winters this year.

ABC
Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='462940' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:36 PM
I would never buy my tyres from a dealer and online suppliers make RFTs EASY to find (in the UK) and at the "huge" markup (against top echelon conventional tyre prices) of about 3%. Or just over a fiver.

I had no problem getting one of my RFTs mended for ten quid.

Oh.

After 19,500 miles, I had 5mm (rear) and 7mm (front) tread remaining and have just had the wheels cycled so that deepest tread is on the rears.

Will be going winters this year.

ABC

What make winters are you looking at?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Unhappy

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='462866' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:00 PM
Nitrogen almost no leaks so most of the time no need to recharge, only if you have a puncher
I have had Nitrogen in my car for over 16 months now and I have no leak at all and nevre had to top up.
If you do have leak which is rare then just take it back to the tire shop and they should top up for free.
maybe ask them before you get it, will they top up for free if the tires have a little low on presher.
Looks like I'll have to ask the question again What makes Nitrogen improve the quality of the ride????
cheers
vern
Old 08-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vern' post='463291' date='Aug 28 2007, 07:38 PM
Looks like I'll have to ask the question again What makes Nitrogen improve the quality of the ride????
cheers
vern
maybe the wight of the Nitrogen???
you have to ask a pro on Nitrogen for that.
But for me I can only say that it 100% feel much better, trust me or your money back
Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

<<Looks like I'll have to ask the question again What makes Nitrogen improve the quality of the ride????
cheers>>

Placebo Effect??
Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='463470' date='Aug 29 2007, 05:26 AM
<<Looks like I'll have to ask the question again What makes Nitrogen improve the quality of the ride????
cheers>>

Placebo Effect??
for this question you need to ask the guy that sells the Nitrogen to you at the tires shop

Quick Reply: no 1 like run-flat tires