E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nightmare - been told my turbocharger is broken

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d E60, IR night vision, HUD, Lane departure
Model Year: 2008
Engine: E60
Default Nightmare - been told my turbocharger is broken

Hi guys,

2008 E60, only 33000 from new. Well driven and never had any problems. Until now.

I posted here on Friday when the car suddenly lost power and started making a high pitched noise which rose and fell with the engine revs.

When I put my foot down on the accelerator, it would go forward but with nothing like the power it normally has. The whining noise was there all the time.

I've been told by a local garage (*That I'm not sure I trust) that the turbocharger has "gone" and it will cost A$5000 for a new one or less if he sends it away to get a reconditioned one. (Intially on here some of you guys thought it was Alternator bearing, water pump bearing, power steering pump, or belt idler/tensioner pulleys).

Unfortunately, I have no clue about this and the mechanic could be telling me anything.

Does the fault sound consistent with a sudden, out of the blue complete failure of the the turbocharger?

Does anyone know a good indie garage in Perth ,Western Australia where I can get a good 2nd opinion?

Does anyone know anything about how turbochargers work or fail to give me some bacjground information or intelligent questions to ask?

Thanks guys. this is a nightmare having only just got the car over from the UK.

Best wishes.

Dave
Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 AM
New Members

Default Help!

Also, if the turbocharger had failed, wouldnt some error come up on the idrive?

Does A$5000 (Australian dollars) seem a fair price for a replacement turbocharger?

I would be really grateful for any advice as I think I might be about to be ripped off.

Thanks guys. Any help gratefully received.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 AM
New Members

I'd appreciate any help guys. Im really stuck here.

Anyone?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

I'm not sure if it's the same in Australia, but I believe the turbos had their warranty naturally extended to 8 years/80,000 miles. I would call your BMW Headquarters and inquire about this.

Originally Posted by panicp
Hi guys,

2008 E60, only 33000 from new. Well driven and never had any problems. Until now.

I posted here on Friday when the car suddenly lost power and started making a high pitched noise which rose and fell with the engine revs.

When I put my foot down on the accelerator, it would go forward but with nothing like the power it normally has. The whining noise was there all the time.

I've been told by a local garage (*That I'm not sure I trust) that the turbocharger has "gone" and it will cost A$5000 for a new one or less if he sends it away to get a reconditioned one. (Intially on here some of you guys thought it was Alternator bearing, water pump bearing, power steering pump, or belt idler/tensioner pulleys).

Unfortunately, I have no clue about this and the mechanic could be telling me anything.

Does the fault sound consistent with a sudden, out of the blue complete failure of the the turbocharger?

Does anyone know a good indie garage in Perth ,Western Australia where I can get a good 2nd opinion?

Does anyone know anything about how turbochargers work or fail to give me some bacjground information or intelligent questions to ask?

Thanks guys. this is a nightmare having only just got the car over from the UK.

Best wishes.

Dave
Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i

Do you have check engine light? That's normally how the turbo sounds when it goes bad or blew the turbo it will make a loud whining noise. In most case due to oil starvation. Then your car will go to a limp mode.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Regardless, $5000 (USA or Aussie dollars) is ridiculous. I could be wrong, but it seems turbo cartridges are about $200. Get a cartridge and rebuild the turbo you have. A bit of labor to get it out, rebuilt, and reinstalled. But, $5000 is too much.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

if this happened all the sudden, i'm guessing your intake hose popped off. check all your intake tubes.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM
New Members

There was no engine check warnings at all. Wouldn't I expect this to come on if the turbocharger had blown?
Old 03-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

You should contact a BMW dealer and have the VIN run for the high pressure fuel pump issues or any outstanding recalls. Then work your way towards the turbos, because 5k for some turbos is a lot of money.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by panicp
There was no engine check warnings at all. Wouldn't I expect this to come on if the turbocharger had blown?
pop the hood and look around for a loose intake hose. a turbo dont just blow up. intake hoses do.

Quick Reply: Nightmare - been told my turbocharger is broken