E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Night vision and HUD option

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

I am about to pull a trigger on an E60 that has these options and i am wondering how good are they ? So who here has them and how do you like them especially the night vision ?
Thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

NV is almost worthless and wouldn't sway my choice in a purchase. I had HUD in my 545, don't have it in my 550, don't miss it one bit. Its cool if you have it, but nothing to hold out for because it doesn't give you all that much info. But again, it's "cool". All things being equal, I'd go for the car with HUD. All things being equal, I wouldn't care about night vision. I even have that lane assist feature and it just annoys the crap outta me when it's on. I'd take the cold weather package over both HUD and NV.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Night vision is quite useful where street lights is not available, so it would be handy if you were to drive in China
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fast
I am about to pull a trigger on an E60 that has these options and i am wondering how good are they ? So who here has them and how do you like them especially the night vision ?
Thanks
I agree with the others. Night Vision is fun to play with on occasion, but not real useful on a daily basis.

The Hud, I find very handy. It's really cool if you have Nav.

Just seeing the speed, Cruise and Adaptive cruise info is helpful.

Craig
Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I have an 07 with the HUD and one without - I would choose one with the HUD again. It works well in all light and the NAV info in the HUD is great. What is missing is that there are no turn signal indicators in the HUD.

On the other hand - because I don't have it, I am lusting after the night vision if only because of the cool factor
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's all a matter of opinion. I've had HUD with the last three cars and Night Vision on the last two. I can't live without HUD and use my NV very often when it's dark. It's quite useful once you train yourself to use it like you do a mirror.

I wish the NV display was in the HUD or at least not shared with the CID. There are so many times I have to flip back and forth between NV and some other iDrive screen that it can be a bit frustrating. At least on the E60, you can program a steering wheel button to toggle the NV screen on or off. On the F10, you can't use a "favorites" key and you can't turn on NV from the iDrive controller so your only option is to use the NV button on the dash (to the left of the steering wheel.)

Search the forums for my long(er) answer to the NV question...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i / Premium / Winter / Comfort / Navigation / Ipod / Satellite Radio / HUD

I have a 2006 525i with HUD. I use it all the time and if i get another BMW I would definitely get one with HUD.

I have to replace my windshield soon and I'm leaning towards using OEM windshield from the dealer only because I want the HUD to work properly showing in the windshield (Don't really care about the rain sensor or auto climate control in the windshield option as I don't use either that much).
Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008MY 530d Sport, 19" wheels, comfort access, professional navigation, HUD, sunroof, iPod connectivity.

Originally Posted by fast
Thanks
Hi!
Don't have NV but do have HUD on my 530d. I find it extremely useful, particularly speed and cruise control activity. Rarely need to glance down at main instruments. Only problem is that display virtually disappears when you wear polarized sunglasses. I would still get HUD given the choice.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Members

HUD is wonderful if you use you navigation system a lot. I used to have it in my 530. Now that I don't have it anymore I really miss it and I will hold out for it in the future.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by sholaesq
HUD is wonderful if you use you navigation system a lot. I used to have it in my 530. Now that I don't have it anymore I really miss it and I will hold out for it in the future.
+1 I get the most benefit out of the HUD when I'm using the NAV. Since I use the speed limiter function - I also appreciate the visual warning when I'm driving too fast.

If you live or frequently drive in rural areas that have no streetlights, then NV is a good investment - especially the first time you spot a deer with it. Its kind of like 4WD, you may not use it much, but when you do and it gets you out of a potentially bad situation you'll love it.