E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Night Vision

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530, Nav, HUD, Sat Radio, Xenon, Cold Pkg,

I have a 2010 528 with night vision. The manual mentions "widescreen" but I have not been able to get a widescreen picture. In the Nav mode, if I check split screen, the night vision image is on the left 2/3 of the screen. If I uncheck split screen, the night vision image moves to the center of the screen, but still occupies 2/3 of the screen.
Also, the zoom function seems to have no effect.
What am I missing?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, Platinum Grey, Black Dakota leather, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite headliner, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Nav, HUD, PDC, Night Vision, Logic7, iPod / USB, HD Radio, Sunshades, Heated Rear seats, and Folding Rear Seats.

Originally Posted by Newdetour' post='1066986' date='Dec 3 2009, 06:15 AM
I have a 2010 528 with night vision. The manual mentions "widescreen" but I have not been able to get a widescreen picture. In the Nav mode, if I check split screen, the night vision image is on the left 2/3 of the screen. If I uncheck split screen, the night vision image moves to the center of the screen, but still occupies 2/3 of the screen.
Also, the zoom function seems to have no effect.
What am I missing?
When in NV mode, push the iDrive controller down to get the menu, there should be an option for Zoom that is selected. Deselect it and it should go to full "widescreen" mode.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by seventhirteen' post='1067015' date='Dec 3 2009, 10:10 AM
When in NV mode, push the iDrive controller down to get the menu, there should be an option for Zoom that is selected. Deselect it and it should go to full "widescreen" mode.
When I "check" or "uncheck" the zoom box, the only thing that changes is the appearence of the check mark in the box. It seems that there must be something wrong with mine.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by Newdetour' post='1067170' date='Dec 3 2009, 11:26 AM
When I "check" or "uncheck" the zoom box, the only thing that changes is the appearence of the check mark in the box. It seems that there must be something wrong with mine.
There is a difference between Zoom, and un-zoomed in the left screen, so look carefully to be sure you can't see that difference. I think you have to be going more than x mph (like 20) to see the Zoom effect. For the full-screen view, that is an iDrive option somewhere -- my memory is to go to the iDrive settings (press down when in the main menu), then look for Display, then within display, you should see a Night Vision option. I think in that menu you must select Full Screen. It may also be where the helper above said -- turn NV on with the button next to the Lights control, then press down on the iDrive knob to get the options -- Full Screen may be listed there.

An option would be to read the Owners Manual, which I think I'll check right now!

Cal
Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='1067277' date='Dec 3 2009, 04:56 PM
There is a difference between Zoom, and un-zoomed in the left screen, so look carefully to be sure you can't see that difference. I think you have to be going more than x mph (like 20) to see the Zoom effect. For the full-screen view, that is an iDrive option somewhere -- my memory is to go to the iDrive settings (press down when in the main menu), then look for Display, then within display, you should see a Night Vision option. I think in that menu you must select Full Screen. It may also be where the helper above said -- turn NV on with the button next to the Lights control, then press down on the iDrive knob to get the options -- Full Screen may be listed there.

An option would be to read the Owners Manual, which I think I'll check right now!

Cal
I started with the manual but it is really incomplete. I was not able to find a Night Vision option anywhere in the I-drive menu system. Also, the display does not change to "widescreen" when I uncheck the zoom mode.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Newdetour' post='1067475' date='Dec 3 2009, 10:29 PM
I started with the manual but it is really incomplete. I was not able to find a Night Vision option anywhere in the I-drive menu system. Also, the display does not change to "widescreen" when I uncheck the zoom mode.
When you uncheck the zoom mode, you also have to check the "full screen" box. Are you doing that?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, Platinum Grey, Black Dakota leather, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite headliner, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Nav, HUD, PDC, Night Vision, Logic7, iPod / USB, HD Radio, Sunshades, Heated Rear seats, and Folding Rear Seats.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1067490' date='Dec 3 2009, 07:49 PM
When you uncheck the zoom mode, you also have to check the "full screen" box. Are you doing that?
That's the part I left off, unclick zoom *and* click full screen.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1067490' date='Dec 3 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "full screen" box. In the NAV mode, checking the split screen box will move the night vision image to the left 2/3 of the screen. Un-checking the split screen box moves the night vision image to the center of the screen, but still it is 2/3 of the total with big margins.
In the night vision screen, there are three choices, brightness, contrast, and zoom. I do not find a "full screen" choice.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Newdetour' post='1067708' date='Dec 4 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "full screen" box. In the NAV mode, checking the split screen box will move the night vision image to the left 2/3 of the screen. Un-checking the split screen box moves the night vision image to the center of the screen, but still it is 2/3 of the total with big margins.
In the night vision screen, there are three choices, brightness, contrast, and zoom. I do not find a "full screen" choice.
The only thing I can think of then is that they made a change for the 2010 cars. On my 2008, you only need to go to the night vision settings screen (the one with the brightness and contrast that you get to by pressing down on the controller while night vision is active) and uncheck the zoom box and check the full screen box. I don't know any way for me, on my 2008, to shift the night vision image to the center of the screen as you describe. I can only do the 2/3 size or the full (3/3) size and if I'm using the 2/3 size, the right 1/3 is still available to me for the stuff you can display there...

By the way, I can say that I almost always use full screen mode since I never really observed the benefit of zoom mode...
Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1067713' date='Dec 4 2009, 09:25 AM
The only thing I can think of then is that they made a change for the 2010 cars. On my 2008, you only need to go to the night vision settings screen (the one with the brightness and contrast that you get to by pressing down on the controller while night vision is active) and uncheck the zoom box and check the full screen box. I don't know any way for me, on my 2008, to shift the night vision image to the center of the screen as you describe. I can only do the 2/3 size or the full (3/3) size and if I'm using the 2/3 size, the right 1/3 is still available to me for the stuff you can display there...

By the way, I can say that I almost always use full screen mode since I never really observed the benefit of zoom mode...
The attached screen shot shows the 2/3 image in the center of the screen. I took the picture just after pushing the controller, about 3 seconds later the words go away and just the image remains.
Attached Thumbnails Night Vision-pc040999.jpg