E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Vision

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I know a couple people here have night vision. I was wondering how they like it so far? Have any of you gotten much use out of it? Would you get it again?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

I don't have it but the only reason I would use it is if I drive in the back roads alot.
Otherwise, I have no use for it in the city.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SolarFactory' post='308244' date='Jul 8 2006, 09:05 AM
I know a couple people here have night vision. I was wondering how they like it so far? Have any of you gotten much use out of it? Would you get it again?

Absolutely love it!! I use it mostly on backroads or in busy city areas. It has been helpful a number of times already when doing city driving where it's very busy. I wouldn't say it's saved me from running anyone over, but it has allowed me to be better aware of people walking and crossing in front of me. Some of my friends think it's distracting but you don't have to watch it non-stop. Once you get used to it you can tell when someone comes into the area of the screen that may cause you to run them over.. So it's nice to have as an extra saftey net. And it is really fun to be able to tell which cars are cold, warm or hot. This could be a great detective tool.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

you use it in the city? Dont you have to have your high beams on in order to use it? Man people in front of you must love you...
Old 07-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

The light that the night vision uses is undectectable to people around you and no one ouside the car knows you are using it, correct?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya what the night vision uses is IR, I think... which is undetectable to the human eye but in order to turn that on I thought you need to have your high beams on first. I dunno. I dont remember... its not a feature I care for.

Edit: Ok it sounds like you can use Nighvision independently from the high beams, it has another switch... and it does use IR. FIR in fact. (Far Infrared)
Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sports pkg, premium pkg,HUD,NAV,comfort seats, power rear shade, premium sound

Is this an upgrade you can have installed after purchase? If so, how much?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tony15012' post='308345' date='Jul 8 2006, 03:55 PM
Is this an upgrade you can have installed after purchase? If so, how much?
I've been told the system can be retrofitted, and may be available this summer.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 520d with BMW Night Vision, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, Adaptive Cruise Control, Pro Logic 7, Pro Nav with DVD changer and TV, Aux in for Ipod, Hella White Taillamps, Red Angel eyes, HUD, BMW Individual Backseat DVD with infrared headsets, Alp White 3, Comfort Seats with ventilation electric memory, sunroof, PDC, Alpine remap, M-Sport, Dynamic Drive, Steptronic ..... (ALL OPTIONS) (Why not get all options then buying a bigger engine?)

Gotta system with the car and is very useful. The roads in Turkey are never crowded(except in cities) so it's very useful when driving at night and it once saved me from hitting a cat.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='308323' date='Jul 8 2006, 02:46 PM
Ya what the night vision uses is IR, I think... which is undetectable to the human eye but in order to turn that on I thought you need to have your high beams on first. I dunno. I dont remember... its not a feature I care for.

Edit: Ok it sounds like you can use Nighvision independently from the high beams, it has another switch... and it does use IR. FIR in fact. (Far Infrared)
You mean near/mid IR, right?

Quick Reply: Night Vision