E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Nexen N3000

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uheenada
I had them before and I must warn you one thing.
N3000 is prone to have flatspots. I travel a lot and my e60 sits in a garage or at the airport parking lots 1+ weeks often. And this will create a flat spot that stays permanently on these tires. I get vibrations between 65-75mph that I couldn't tolerate I replaced the tires with dunlop even though the tires were in perfect condition for another 20k miles. I had no vibrations when first installed then I took a trip for a month and when I came back I had this vibration that won't go away even after driving 10k miles. Even if I don't drive my car for couple days I get a slight vibration at all speed for ~5miles before it goes away. But more than a couple days might give you a permanent flat spot. I confirmed this by visiting a tire shop where they do a road force balance. When I first installed N3000, I had only 8lbs of road force(under 15lbs considered normal). After about a year, before I replace my tires with dunlop, I visited them again to do a final balancing before I ditch these tires and it came out 48lbs of road force(and they showed me about 6 flat spots they can see).

If you drive your car daily and your car won't stay stationary for more than 2 days often then I guess you should be fine.
That makes sense. I get some nasty shimmying on the freeway. I always thought my wheels needed balancing. But then again it could be anything. Good info regardless
Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Members

N3000 is prone to have flatspots. I travel a lot and my e60 sits in a garage or at the airport parking lots 1+ weeks often. And this will create a flat spot that stays permanently on these tires. I get vibrations between 65-75mph that I couldn't tolerate I replaced the tires with dunlop even though the tires were in perfect condition for another 20k miles. I had no vibrations when first installed then I took a trip for a month and when I came back I had this vibration that won't go away even after driving 10k miles. Even if I don't drive my car for couple days I get a slight vibration at all speed for ~5miles before it goes away. But more than a couple days might give you a permanent flat spot. I confirmed this by visiting a tire shop where they do a road force balance. When I first installed N3000, I had only 8lbs of road force(under 15lbs considered normal). After about a year, before I replace my tires with dunlop, I visited them again to do a final balancing before I ditch these tires and it came out 48lbs of road force(and they showed me about 6 flat spots they can see).

If you drive your car daily and your car won't stay stationary for more than 2 days often then I guess you should be fine.
Good to know. Thanks! Will have to reconsider.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Members

uheenad - Thks for the insight on there, granted we don't get the same weather in Toronto but these are summer wheels and i travel quite often as well, easy for me to be away 3-4 days a week. Will ask my tire dealer see if he knows about this as well. Thks for the heads up!!