E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

News on software update

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 2 2004, 10:22 AM
Do they have BMW Assist in Europe?? I thought the problem with US BT was due to some conflict with the built-in cell phone used by Assist.

Then again, I could be totally confused -- I need a freaking scorecard (or FAQ) to remember all the little issues and conflicts!!
The Europe TCU can have a GSM radio in it (GSM 900/1800) however Assist doesn't seem to be standard (meaning it has to be paid for and activated). It seems Europe has Assist but you need the Europe TCU + the Dual Band Telephone (I can't figure out if the Europe TCU always has the GSM radio in it and the Telephone is just the install/reciever/handset, etc). There is a BT module in the Europe TCU if BT is ordered. The US TCU has no BT module that is known to work (meaning it may be present but not sw enabled). I don't have a US TCU to crack open and look at to see if there are any ASIC's supporting BT stuffed on the board. I'm assuming for BT retro in the US, the simple change will be swapping the TCU for an upgraded/enhanced TCU (with Assist + BT, or better yet, BT only!) You confused yet?

Let's see around the MY05 launch.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Hi, I have CIP v.12, it does NOT support .mp3
Old 07-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Members

Does playing DVD movies in i-Drive applies to US as well?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

That's a question I can not answer, since I don't know about the law in the US. Someone said it is against the law in the US to display movies on the indash screen. I don't know.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by tekor' date='Jul 2 2004, 07:33 PM
Does playing DVD movies in i-Drive applies to US as well?
No way you'll ever see that in the US anytime in the near future (at least directly from the factory.)

I'll be happy if I'm wrong though.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

The CCC (NavPro) can support DVD in the rear with the Optional Video 5 Drive module added to it... It's unclear if the actual DVD decode gets done in SW on the CCC or the Video 5 Drive module does the decoding. Doesn't sound like the US will get ANY video in the front ever.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Once again BMW NA hoses us over. Took the car in to have the spoiler and etc done to my car. While there I looked through the German accessory brochure. It has a price for the rear entertainment package AKA DVD player. Every place was listed to have as an option except for the states! Dealer said he would look into it and see if he can order one here for the states. If I was here longer than 2 more years I would get the German DVD player.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jul 2 2004, 09:57 PM
Once again BMW NA hoses us over.? Took the car in to have the spoiler and etc done to my car.? While there I looked through the German accessory brochure.? It has a price for the rear entertainment package AKA DVD player.? Every place was listed to have as an option except for the states!? Dealer said he would look into it and see if he can order one here for the states.? If I was here longer than 2 more years I would get the German DVD player.
You're right to not blame AG and square it at BMW NA... Each region can choose what they want. If we could corner the US 5 product manager I would give him a piece of my mind on some of the lame options they think people want and don't want. Clearly they do the market research with chimps or other zoo animals as I don't see why some very simple options aren't available here with the line "people don't want it..."

It looks like from TIS that the Video Module 5 Drive (rear seat) is still listed as "for the US" So cross fingers for MY 2005 intro!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 2 2004, 06:22 PM
Do they have BMW Assist in Europe?
Yes.
Speaking for Germany, EVERY BMW has BMW assist, and it is free for the first year. Your dealer usually activates it for you, if not you can activate it yourself.
So basically the same like in the US.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Jul 3 2004, 04:42 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Jul 2 2004, 06:22 PM'] Do they have BMW Assist in Europe?
Yes.
Speaking for Germany, EVERY BMW has BMW assist, and it is free for the first year. Your dealer usually activates it for you, if not you can activate it yourself.
So basically the same like in the US. [/quote]
Good to know... So this means the Europe TCU GSM module (900/1800) is used and installed no matter what...

So in theroy, swapping the US TCU for the Europe TCU then executing the BT upgrade/retro would allow a US car to get BT *IF* BMW doesn't sort out the US Motorola Everest based TCU functioning with BT.

Quick Reply: News on software update