E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie's impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am kind of new here and have mostly been lurking since October right after I purchased a 2007 CPO 525i.

First off let me say that I have fell in love with the 5 series when a good friend of mine purchased a used 1998 540i in 2001. I have had the pleasure of driving that car on occasion until my friend left the area for Seattle.
Last year I was on the look out for a CPO five series and test drove a good number of them and I have compiled my impressions.

1. 2005 525i was severely underpowered for my needs.
2. 2006 530xi was too heavy up front and it suffered from having a responsive turn in.
3. 2007 550i sport was fantastic with plenty of torque but it felt very heavy overall and its MPG rating was below acceptable to me.
4. 2007 530i the car was perfect except the drivers seat was a little worn and the engine ticked. I could not negotiate the price I wanted so the deal did not work out.
5. 2008 528i I love the refresh especially the tail lights but the something with the build quality did not seem to be as good as the previous models. The one thing that I did not like was the electronic shifter.

I drove a 2007 525i again because it was in immaculate and the interior did not have one crease in the leather. At the time I was thinking it would be underpowered like the 2005 that I drove a few weeks before so I floored it and to my surprise it felt every bit as powerful as the 07 530i and it was light on it's feet. I am not really into BMW badges and model number designation to denote my status as all I am interested in is a traditional European sedan.

My other car is a 2000 MR2 Spyder with a 2zz-ge swapped engine with mostly suspension mods that is a blast to drive around the corners and tight intersections.
It is nice to be here and I think I will enjoy my stay .
Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

welcome aboard
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Old 01-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Welcome

Looks like you've done a good deal of testing various versions of the E60 - very nice Thanks for the impressions.

Few things you got me thinking about:

530xi heavy up front? Really? I always thought that it just kind of balances itself with a bit of an understeer on turn-in and a liiiitle bit of oversteer on the way out of the corners. But I have not driven that many E60's, so I can't be sure. Definitely feels balanced and extremely capable to me though.

I never understood how a car can "suffer from responsive turn-in" - like it tracks the road too much?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Welcome

Looks like you've done a good deal of testing various versions of the E60 - very nice Thanks for the impressions.

Few things you got me thinking about:

530xi heavy up front? Really? I always thought that it just kind of balances itself with a bit of an understeer on turn-in and a liiiitle bit of oversteer on the way out of the corners. But I have not driven that many E60's, so I can't be sure. Definitely feels balanced and extremely capable to me though.

I never understood how a car can "suffer from responsive turn-in" - like it tracks the road too much?
I believe the drive components in the front add to the extra amount of weight that made it feel sluggish. It actually felt like some of the old diesel cars I have driven. I do not want to knock it too much as it was not terrible but it just did not have the responsiveness of the traditional front rear layout. Surprisingly the 525i weights just 50lbs more then my friends 328i which is remarkable considering the size. So far I have adjusted the air pressure to give me mild oversteer so I can rotate the car better.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by devhan
I believe the drive components in the front add to the extra amount of weight that made it feel sluggish. It actually felt like some of the old diesel cars I have driven. I do not want to knock it too much as it was not terrible but it just did not have the responsiveness of the traditional front rear layout. Surprisingly the 525i weights just 50lbs more then my friends 328i which is remarkable considering the size. So far I have adjusted the air pressure to give me mild oversteer so I can rotate the car better.
Mine's a stick - not sure if the one you drove was an auto, but it definitely doesn't feel too sluggish. And the way this car hangs in the corners, I'm kind of surprised that you didn't get more out of it.

As for your 525, I hope you already ordered, or at least planning to order the RPI scoop and BMC filter. Totally worth the $$
Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by devhan
I am kind of new here and have mostly been lurking since October right after I purchased a 2007 CPO 525i.

First off let me say that I have fell in love with the 5 series when a good friend of mine purchased a used 1998 540i in 2001. I have had the pleasure of driving that car on occasion until my friend left the area for Seattle.
Last year I was on the look out for a CPO five series and test drove a good number of them and I have compiled my impressions.

1. 2005 525i was severely underpowered for my needs.
2. 2006 530xi was too heavy up front and it suffered from having a responsive turn in.
3. 2007 550i sport was fantastic with plenty of torque but it felt very heavy overall and its MPG rating was below acceptable to me.
4. 2007 530i the car was perfect except the drivers seat was a little worn and the engine ticked. I could not negotiate the price I wanted so the deal did not work out.
5. 2008 528i I love the refresh especially the tail lights but the something with the build quality did not seem to be as good as the previous models. The one thing that I did not like was the electronic shifter.

I drove a 2007 525i again because it was in immaculate and the interior did not have one crease in the leather. At the time I was thinking it would be underpowered like the 2005 that I drove a few weeks before so I floored it and to my surprise it felt every bit as powerful as the 07 530i and it was light on it's feet. I am not really into BMW badges and model number designation to denote my status as all I am interested in is a traditional European sedan.

My other car is a 2000 MR2 Spyder with a 2zz-ge swapped engine with mostly suspension mods that is a blast to drive around the corners and tight intersections.
It is nice to be here and I think I will enjoy my stay .
to the forum, bro. Up until now, I have been the only guy here who's been saying that the 525 feels every bit as powerful as the 530 and light on its feet. Mine is a 2006 and it has the same egine as yours. Mine is an XI, however, but I do not notice the weight up front and the unresponsive turn in.

I think it's mostly a state of mind. Others have said that they have raced their 525 against their friends' 530, and they pretty much said that sometime they win and sometime they lose. Pretty even, in my opinion.

Anyway, regardless of power and the different drive-trains, we're lucky to be driving these wonderful machines. Enjoy your sweet ride.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Welcome to the forums.

Unless you want to spend mad $$$$$$, leave now!!! LMAO>

J/K!!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

I noticed the same thing between 525 and 530's in the city when I bought my car. The power seemed to be pretty even in the city, at higher speeds though I did notice a bit of a difference. The 535 I drove felt really nose heavy compared to the 525\530 but felt so good when you stepped on it on the highway!

I think that the HP rating on the 525 is more then what is advertised.

Quick Reply: Newbie's impressions