E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newbie needs advice (NAV & M-Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by denuyl' post='235882' date='Feb 6 2006, 11:32 PM
the m sport kit....is WAY over the top; it spoils the classy look of the car, makes you look like the 20-something-olds that drive 10-year old 3 series with spoilers.
It took courage to say that here!
Well done, I couldn't agree more.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by denuyl' post='235882
To my eyes the M Sport kit is a must - the e60 doesnt look right without it (in any colour). For the price in Europe it really is a decent deal and you get a lot more besides the bumpers.
the m sport kit CANNOT be ordered together with dynamic drive, which rules out ordering it, besides it is WAY over the top; it spoils the classy look of the car, makes you look like the 20-something-olds that drive 10-year old 3 series with spoilers.
All the people that keep moaning about the ride quality of 18" RF should have ordered the car with dynamic drive instead of the M-kit: ride is uncomparable better, much more comfortable, but than again: it doesn't show that you spend an extra ? 3000-5000 on your car, which makes that most people go for the obsolete M-kit instead of the very usefull dynamic drive.
If you really cannot live without the spoilers, order the car with dynamic drive and have a dealer install of the body trim, which will set you back around ? 2500
[/quote]

I have the dynamic drive and have all advantages and will buy myself the 20"s hopefully in black-polisehd lips and I have the M rear that is 100X better looking than my prev. stock rear even if I luved my red reflectors, summa: the look of M pack is

or you can buy the stock car, mine in the end came out with much more stuff than before I wanted-as we dropped the M pack, but ONLY because I wanted something else, HAMANN it is easy...

stock-is elegant and classy

///M-packed is sportier w ///M heritage

all others let's say aftermarket -are more sporty or even aggressive.

I had a beauty chorme grilled stock, and then I said I want MORE... so 'voila' bada$$ (b?se) e60 here I come... but with my auburn combo, all the ppl say even older (than 50-60 yrs) it is very elegant, then should I deny it???

I agree that M pack is the only way 2 go, IF you do not want aftermarket...nor stock.

in the end do not forget it is matter of tastes or choices
Old 02-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 525D with M-Sport Package (M-rear spoiler incl.) - Manual Drive - Carbon black - amethyst leather (2 tone) - Summer: styling 128 rims (245/35 R19Y - 275/30 R19Y on Michelin PS2) - Winter: styling 135M rims (245/40/18ZR on Dunlop M3 SP Winter Sport)- Logic7 - Nav.Syst.Prof. - bluetooth - xenon - adapt. headl.- PDC - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load Syst. - M5 mirrors - Chrome Grill - Extended Inter. Light Package - Front Seat Heating and...the amazing floormats

With all respect for yr opinion, but saying that "it spoils the classy look of the car, makes you look like the 20-something-olds that drive 10-year old 3 series with spoilers." is a bit over the top for my personal opinion. There's a bit too much arrogance in that entire comment.

This is an OEM kit, and saying that BMW, who've thought this very well through, is delivering a kit that makes their 5-series look like a 10 year old 3 series with spoilers...? Even if the M5 more justifies the sporty look, engine-wise, all BMW's are sportive enough to justify the M-Sports Pack imo. So, you are downgrading the look of the M5 here as well.

I always respect other people's opinions, as long as they do intend to caricature the people with a different opinion. :thumbsdown:
But, I am happy to be in my 20's again. What a car can do for you these days!!

To my eyes the M Sport kit is a must - the e60 doesnt look right without it (in any colour). For the price in Europe it really is a decent deal and you get a lot more besides the bumpers.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

HEY Guys
THANKS a LOT for all your feedback so far. It is really helpful!
And as for the spoilers' "disagreement" here - well, I had absolutely no idea (and no such intention whatsoever) that my question could startup an argument among E60 fans

As for my personal opinion, I agree with most of you guys: M-KIT looks to me just about perfectly fitted for E60, but the spoiler-kit is just a part of the whole idea of considering M-Kit. Sportier suspension, 18" wheels, sport seats, superb M-steering wheel - these are as much important to me, and besides I would intend to pay extra for the seats, bigger wheels and steering wheel anyway, regardless of M-Kit...
And by the way, is this ALU CUBE finish (inside M-Kit) a real aluminium? Or, is it plastic?

But then again - it's just my opinion, I am capable of understanding other peoples' not sharing the same point of view
And that's why it is good to remind that sentence they used in Latin saying:
"de gustibus non est disputandum" which nicely applies for the Mkit "mini-argument" here, I guess...

Anyway, I will still appreciate all your input and info on both subjects.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Hi, luxembourg
Welcome to the forum: you are the third member from this country (if I'm not mistaken).
I wud try to take both options: BTW where do u order it (in Kontz?) and which discount u are getting?
After many years(and cars) here I finally ordered my last BMW across the border in Germany.
There is a chance to get it there with discounts over 10 pc, while here here 8 is the top. So think it over maybe u can afford both.
Otherwise apart from what has been said u shud consider resale value:NAV is a must while M kit it is not so popular here like elsewhere. Besides you can retrofit M aerokit afterwards (in particular if you have some scratches on the OEM one during the life). Also you can order the car with DynDrive and not so harsh ride in this case.
Feel free to call, e=mail or PM me.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
SKK
Senior Members

the m sport kit CANNOT be ordered together with dynamic drive, which rules out ordering it, besides it is WAY over the top; it spoils the classy look of the car, makes you look like the 20-something-olds that drive 10-year old 3 series with spoilers.
All the people that keep moaning about the ride quality of 18" RF should have ordered the car with dynamic drive instead of the M-kit: ride is uncomparable better, much more comfortable, but than again: it doesn't show that you spend an extra ? 3000-5000 on your car, which makes that most people go for the obsolete M-kit instead of the very usefull dynamic drive.
If you really cannot live without the spoilers, order the car with dynamic drive and have a dealer install of the body trim, which will set you back around ? 2500
[/quote]

You must have got out of the wrong side of the bed !!! The M Kit looks great and thats one of the main reasons why 60% of UK E60 buyers opt for M sport cars. And buy the way, the M sport kit as standard doesnt involve any spoilers so I am not sure what you are on about. Heck if I want a sport sedan I want it to look the part as well. Otherwise I would have purchased an E class elegance or Lexus GS - those would sure make me feel older than I currently am.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by igor' post='236123' date='Feb 7 2006, 01:37 PM
Hi, luxembourg
Welcome to the forum: you are the third member from this country (if I'm not mistaken).
Hey Igor, it's nice to hear there more Luxembourgoise ici
BTW I don't know if it's also your impression, but when I look around (especially in Kirchberg) - to me looks like every other car in this town is BMW, well.. ain't that right??
(but what do I know - I've only lived here for one year now
But, I had lived in the USA for a few years before (North Hollywood, CA - to be exact), and even there I have never noticed such a congestion of luxury sports sedans per square mile
But, it's nice to see so many people are capable here to appreciate these cars!

BTW, is there a chance that you live in the Lux-ville, as well? If so, do you think there could be a chance to see your e60 in real? I'm just curious about the M-Kit in a real-road condition (and at Kontz they told me don't have one for a test drive )
Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Members

This is an OEM kit, and saying that BMW, who've thought this very well through, is delivering a kit that makes their 5-series look like a 10 year old 3 series with spoilers...? Even if the M5 more justifies the sporty look, engine-wise, all BMW's are sportive enough to justify the M-Sports Pack imo. So, you are downgrading the look of the M5 here as well.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh well, I really started something overhere...
Did not mean to offend anybody, should have said that it was only my personal opinion; everybody is free to buy the car of their liking, some people actually seem to love their merc....

On top of this there is a difference in design taste between mainland Europe, Brittain and the Americas; here in Europe we generaly speaking are not to fond of these "aerokits"

as for the quote above: sure BMW thought this through very well...especially moneywise: they hate seeing all this business flowing to the aftermarket: that's probably why they started offering these parts themselves
?'m by no means downgrading the look of the M5, eventhough IN MY OPINION it's over the top as well, but at least all the curves and holes are said to be functional on the M5: extra cooling for engine and brakes etc.
regular 5's don't need it, so the parts are obsolete.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Members

Forget the NAV system. You don't need it (on the professional point of view).

Go for the whole M-Sport kit. It's a bargain, and the car looks & handles far more "dynamicly" than without the M-Sport kit ! The normal suspension causes poor handling on bumpy roads (front shocks "pumping"). My M-Sport 530D has a higher rideheight than my former 320D Touring (M-Technic suspension). So no problem for the front spoiler.

The relative comfort problem comes from the RFT tires. You can negociate with your dealer to keep new RFT tires & replace them with conventional tires. Don't forget to order the spare wheel ! It's only 110 ? TVAC as an option, ... but 330 ? TVAC aftermarket !!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hello luxembourg,

You seem to have giving your matters a long thaught.

If you are looking for comfort, do not go for anything else than
standard suspension and 225/50 17" tires, and those should be
non RunFlat tires!
How often did you have a puncture?

I say: Go for the comfort all the way;
conf. seats, adv. AC, at least Hi-Fi speakers, Xenons etc.

If you want the looks, you know what to do...

I sorry to say that I do not have much to say about the nav,
but if you need your car for business drives along the
region, go for the Pro Navi. Get the best!

Good look on your choice!

Quick Reply: Newbie needs advice (NAV & M-Kit)