E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by idgam' post='358531' date='Nov 20 2006, 11:02 PM
Hi, been a lurker for a while but now have the chance to order a 5 for a company car.

I just wanted to know your opinions on the options to choose.

So far I have had a look at the online configurator and selected:

M Sport
Carbon Black
Dakota Leather
Auto Dim & Folding Mirrors
Visibility Package

Does anyone have pictures of the extended interior light package? This looks like a nice option to have

Also is it possible to change the stereo for an aftermarket one i.e. Alpine system? and if so does anyone have any pictures of how they fitted it into the dashboard?

Sorry for al the questions
Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent with my last post!

First off...

In my mind it looks like you have all you need and more, providing Xenons are in the Visibility Package(?). As far as the looks are concerned, you've certainly got that sorted!

I am a huge fan of heated seats and they're pretty essential in Germany in winter - especially with leather! Its also quite soothing when doing long journeys. Maybe worth considering.

You are right to question the stereo though; IMHO the basic system is not what I would expect from a car in this class, in other words its a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the car. I personally went for the Logic7 and love it , but have also heard positive things about the "HIFI" option. This is worth testing and can easily be done in the show-room or in one of the dealer's used cars. It may turn out that the standard system is enough for you.

So what engine are you going for? Manual or auto?

Cheers
Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='358803' date='Nov 21 2006, 01:19 PM
Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent with my last post!

First off...

In my mind it looks like you have all you need and more, providing Xenons are in the Visibility Package(?). As far as the looks are concerned, you've certainly got that sorted!

I am a huge fan of heated seats and they're pretty essential in Germany in winter - especially with leather! Its also quite soothing when doing long journeys. Maybe worth considering.

You are right to question the stereo though; IMHO the basic system is not what I would expect from a car in this class, in other words its a bit of a let down compared to the rest of the car. I personally went for the Logic7 and love it , but have also heard positive things about the "HIFI" option. This is worth testing and can easily be done in the show-room or in one of the dealer's used cars. It may turn out that the standard system is enough for you.

So what engine are you going for? Manual or auto?

Cheers
Hi,

I am more than likely going to get either the 520d M Sport or the 525d M Sport. I am edging towards the 520d as on paper there is hardly any difference in performance, but it would save me around ? 45 per month on company car tax.

I notice that you have a 520d, what are your impressions on the car i.e. Performance, economy, comfort?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by idgam' post='358815' date='Nov 21 2006, 02:18 PM
I am edging towards the 520d as on paper there is hardly any difference in performance.
As far as performance is concerned, suspension is uprated and lowered on the Sport but with most driving styles you won't be able to measure any improvement, albeit you'll get a "firmer" ride.

Sports are more common in UK and arguably sell more easily but if you're leasing it's down to ?45/month aesthetics.

ABC
Old 11-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by idgam' post='358815' date='Nov 21 2006, 03:18 PM
Hi,

I am more than likely going to get either the 520d M Sport or the 525d M Sport. I am edging towards the 520d as on paper there is hardly any difference in performance, but it would save me around ? 45 per month on company car tax.

I notice that you have a 520d, what are your impressions on the car i.e. Performance, economy, comfort?
I came from a 320d to the 520d, so did not have to make any compromises in performance.

I do a lot of autobahn cruising and really have no complaints. It stuggles a little after 130mph/210kph so you really have to plant it and "drive smart" to overtake at that speed, however a 525d doesn't do much better - I've followed one! The comfort on the motorway is fantastic; it sits steady, is well insulated from outside noise and the sport seats are comfortable - even if you have to search a little for the right position.

As for country road driving, it has enough power and torque, and the m-sport set-up makes driving through the curves very rewarding When it comes to straight line brute acceleration from the traffic lights... erm, no. Wrong car. That said, driving through town etc. is like cruising around in an arm chair, so comfort is not an issue. And it has enough power for the normal quick spurts and overtaking. It's comparible with 320d performance to give you a bench mark.

The economy could be very good. I tested this whilst driving through Belgium at 120kph and was very impressed with the figures. As for driving "swiftly" on the German autobahns, well we'd better not go there

The new 525d will be coming (in March 2007??) with a 3 litre 200ps engine, a down-graded version of the 530d engine. This would most probably be worth taking instead of a 520d, but for now, the current 525d is IMHO just not worth the extra cost. IMHO, stick the money into more options - that's exactly what I did and do not regret my decision at all.

The best thing you can do, test drive them yourself. I was going to lease a 330d M-Sport or a 520d M-Sport. Before the test drives I thought it would definately go in the 330d's favour, but actually after test driving both, the 520d got my vote. I.e. don't just rely on what you read!!

Cheers
Old 11-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Hi, I have a 520d M-Sport for the same company car reasons as you. I test drove an SE, an M-Sport and an Estate SE on the same day. The rear suspension on the Estate was rather jiggly and I found the SE precise, but rather wallowy. I was coming from an AUDI TT with 20mm dropped suspension so even my mate's F355 felt compliant in comparison. The M-Sport's seats were far more comfortable and the car was actually quieter, with less road noise. I much prefered the M-Sport to the SE without taking into account the aesthetics. The same day I tried 2.0d, 2.5d and 3.0d power. The 3.0d was best, no question. The 2.5 was better than the 2.0. It was smoother with more punch lower down, it made a nicer noise and it seemed to hang on to the gears for longer. The actual improvement in performance was, however, not at all obvious from the driving seat, although I suspect that its superior torque would make it a far better car in town. I chose the 2.0 for its emissions and hence BIK tax. My company car budget would have got me a 535d M-Sport, but it was nearly twice as much in tax! I couldn't justify that to myself.

Around town the 5er is a bit of a lump, especially with the relatively poor torque of the 2.0d to lug it around. All the "new generation EURO IV" diesels seem to have a hole in the power band just above tickover that leaves them pedalling in semolina where an old skool EURO III diesel would be spinning its wheels. Acceleration on A-roads is adequate, but hardly sporting, and you aren't going to be overtaking much. On the motorway, however, although it is no dragster, it has an ability to cruise at 100mph+ that is frankly astonishing. This is where the car makes sense, even the 520d, as it is at these speeds that the fuel economy becomes genuinely impressive. Around town and on A roads it is merely good.

I've never had a car that leaves me with such mixed feelings. I bought it because it was cheap on tax, but now I kind of wished that I had more power, especially as my EGR keeps playing up in warmer weather. A fix is due in march 2007! I actually like everything about the mechanicals, I absolutely love the seats (mine are heated comfort seats) and I hate everything electrical on the car. I-drive and indicators show that BMW are willing to experiment, I just wish they'd leave it to the prototypes.

Your choice of options seems about right. If you can go for comfort seats you will not be disappointed, don't even consider Nav. Tom Tom is better and cheaper.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='358881' date='Nov 21 2006, 05:59 PM
The rear suspension on the Estate was rather jiggly and I found the SE precise, but rather wallowy. I was coming from an AUDI TT with 20mm dropped suspension so even my mate's F355 felt compliant in comparison. The M-Sport's seats were far more comfortable
I hope you agree that words like jiggly, precise, wallowy and compliant are subjective: based upon individual interpretation of one's own driving style and needs.Which of course, is what is asked for by the OP...

As for comfortable seats - obviously not comfortable enough if you went for the "confort seats" option! (good move BTW!!)

ABC
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Welcome idgam to the Forum.

The Sport is a matter of looks (a 520d!?), I would go for comfort.

A 520d it is? Make it a 520dA!

I would go for automatic trans, auto A/C, Comfort Seats and at least the Hi-Fi streo system, Logic 7 if possible.

Leather is great but don't forget the seat heaters!

If you drive and park much in a city, take the PDC.

Active Steering and/or Dynamic Drive is never wrong.

Is it dark out there? I love my Xenons.

Max 17" wheels with 225/50 tyres!!!

Few pennies worth on thinking...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

All UK e60 from the SE and up have PDC as std....

cheers

steve
Old 11-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by idgam' post='358531' date='Nov 20 2006, 05:02 PM
Hi, been a lurker for a while but now have the chance to order a 5 for a company car.

I just wanted to know your opinions on the options to choose.

So far I have had a look at the online configurator and selected:

M Sport
Carbon Black
Dakota Leather
Auto Dim & Folding Mirrors
Visibility Package

Does anyone have pictures of the extended interior light package? This looks like a nice option to have

Also is it possible to change the stereo for an aftermarket one i.e. Alpine system? and if so does anyone have any pictures of how they fitted it into the dashboard?

Sorry for al the questions
Welcome! Nice company car....my brother in law got a Chevy Impala and he thinks he won the lotto. Must be a nice company that you work for. Good luck with the new ride
Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='358889' date='Nov 21 2006, 06:21 PM
I hope you agree that words like jiggly, <<snipped>>are subjective:
ABC
True but a damn good description of the rear Suspension of my Touring !

Quick Reply: Newbie Here