E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with 2005 545I question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545I?
Default Newb with 2005 545I question.

Like the forum and all the info available! I have a neighbor that is is selling a 2005 545I that has 71,000 miles on it and is in great shape. Problem is the motor has a scored cylinder, and has not been driven regularly for the last couple of years. So I have to two questions.

First how much do I offer for this car considering the good condition, but dead motor?

Second how much would it cost to rebuild/replace motor to get it going?

Looking to get info from guys that are familiar with the 545I model and the engine replacement. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

The 545i has a special type of cylinder lining. Can't remember the name. A member on the forum once rebuilt the engine from the ground up and it wasn't easy at all, especially the cylinder lining. It would be much better finding a replacement engine. On that note, i'd get a quote from an indy for engine replacement with the cost of a used engine and have your seller deduct that from the price of the car. Also look into getting some parts changed on the engine while its out as they are wear items such as the valley pan, the alternator bracket. I'm not in the US so cant help you out with pricing, maybe some other member might chime in.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:23 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545I?

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I was assuming the cylinders could be bored out like a GM LS series engine with iron cylinders sleeves in a aluminum block. I will have to call some shops and get some quotes. What is the reason behind the scored cylinders with these engines?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

No idea really. This are pretty robust engines and i rarely hear of serious engine failures with the N62. It is possible of the car has not been driven in a long time and then driven hard suddenly that scoring on robust engines can happen. Might do with the complete lack of lubrication on the cylinders. Maybe driving without enough oil can cause that too.