E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires re-balanced multiple times, Car still SHAKES at speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Mordor110
OP, what approximate speeds are the shakes? Have you thought about your thrust/control arm bushings? Got a friend with an E60 you can swap wheels with temporarily to see if the problem stays with the wheels or the car?
60-80 is when it is most noticeable. some days it is barely there, and other days it is more noticeable. good idea on the wheel swap, i'll have to call a friend!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EddieboyS
Definitely recommend having the control arm bushings checked and replaced if necessary.
what would be the symptoms of this? It would seem odd that i would need to replace such a major component at just 38,000 miles, but i also realize the age of the car.

I have noticed a slight "clunk" sound when i go over speedbumps and potholes at a low speed.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

your wheels are bent. get new ones and you will see!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawnboy
what would be the symptoms of this? It would seem odd that i would need to replace such a major component at just 38,000 miles, but i also realize the age of the car.

I have noticed a slight "clunk" sound when i go over speedbumps and potholes at a low speed.
those are endlinks. can fail sometimes in as little as a year
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Members

60-80 is when it is most noticeable. some days it is barely there, and other days it is more noticeable. good idea on the wheel swap, i'll have to call a friend!

Control/thurst arm bushings are a common fail item on BMW's in general, probably more so with the V8 5's due to the weight of the car & motor. Just the way BMW designed their vehicles for great handling. E39 5 series the symtoms are usually shakes around 45-60mph, depending on the car & user report. It maybe possible your old set of tires was masking the bushing failure if they are marginal to begin with? They usually fail with more miles than you have, but time breaks down rubber more than use so that maybe a factor. They're fluid filled rubber on the E39's, the fluid leaks out when they start to go. I'm assuming it's still the same on our E60's also. I have that same low speed clunk you talk about and I'm wondering if mine are on their way out also LOL. But both the E39's I've had also made the same clunk?!

I'm thinking a test with a different set of wheels will help you figure out if it's the bushings or not? Also there should be a red or yellow dot (can't remember which but think it's the yellow one) on the tire that is supposed to line up with the valve stem when mounting for perfect tire/wheel balance harmony.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

That "clunk" is definitely a symptom of worn bushings.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Members

So is the tire back out of balance when you take it back to DT? Road force balance is a must, and ask DT to turn the smart weight functionality OFF. Also, DT will be able to quickly tell you if the rim is bent so I'm assuming that's not the case. If it doesn't improve I'd change tires altogether.

How much did you spend on the tires? I'll sell you a set of Miro 111 19" rims and tires for $1600 Tires are Michelin and were driven on for about 4 months. Take back your tires and UPGRADE!!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Members

I feel your pain OP... I had the same headache when I switch from OEM Conti to hankook v12 from discount tire. After a few re-balance that doesn't seen to improve the vibration I decided to return the tires for a different brand. While waiting on the tires to arrive, I decided to get them balance from a high end tire shop and that seen to take care most of the problem. There is still slightly a vibration but its bearable, I think it's the cheap tires, probably get different brand in the future.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aharper
So is the tire back out of balance when you take it back to DT? Road force balance is a must, and ask DT to turn the smart weight functionality OFF. Also, DT will be able to quickly tell you if the rim is bent so I'm assuming that's not the case. If it doesn't improve I'd change tires altogether.

How much did you spend on the tires? I'll sell you a set of Miro 111 19" rims and tires for $1600 Tires are Michelin and were driven on for about 4 months. Take back your tires and UPGRADE!!
i'd love to, but i can't justify summer wheels in the middle of december lol
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Members

i'd love to, but i can't justify summer wheels in the middle of december lol
They are all seasons

Quick Reply: New tires re-balanced multiple times, Car still SHAKES at speed