E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Tires Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

I just switched out my conti's too. Just today I installed the same, Pilot Sport A/S Plus. How much did you end up paying? I actually found the installer that tire rack recommends and then called them directly to see if they could give me a good deal. I did not try to haggle with them and say that I already saw the tire rack price. I simply asked," I want michellin pilot sport a/s plus tires, 225/50/17 size, all four, how much?" Crunched some numbers and said they are $155 a tire and that he could do $729.35 out the door. That was mounted, balanced, and tax included, you know our crappy 9.25% now. So I jumped on the deal as it would have cost me slightly more to go through tire rack and then through the same installer. No reviews from me yet since I only drove it down the street from the shop to have dinner and movie with the gf. But I liked the reviews I saw on tire rack and they look good. Tread life definitely was a selling point and justification in spending a little more for these tires.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M-Sport Auto, Individual Spec (Ruby Black Paint, Champagne Nappa Leather, Piano Black Trim), Media Pack (Navigation Professional, Bluetooth, CD Changer, Voice Control), Sun Protection Glass, 19" Style 172 Rims, Hi-Fi Speakers, Heated Seats

I've replaced my rears this week.
Over here in the UK, both the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric and the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas are very popular, with good reviews.

I opted for the Vreds, as I've had these before, and found them to be really good both in terms of grip and wear. Look damn fine too...........

HTH
Old 06-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Look at the GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, better reviews and I've had it now on my car for 4000 km, super quiete.

Originally Posted by 550i now' post='898920' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:38 AM
my OEM Conti 2's are toast at 18.5K.

Ive narrowed down replacement tires to be either:

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Pole Position
or
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Biggest reason for the A/S is tread life as I dont like doing this every year.

These tires match up pretty closely, Michelins look modestly better drivers tire and slightly more $, Potenza's a litttle quieter but with strong reviews over many more miles (see tire rack).

Forum members have commented favorably on RE960's, but havent see much on this version of Michelins.

Think I'm inclined to go with the Bridgestones, looking for input and any commentary with regard to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

THOUGHTS?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='899555' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:48 PM
I'd put my Michelin PS A/S up against anything in rain. Not snow--that's not what they are designed for. If you are not in an area that requires a dedicated winter set-up, the A/S is a great alternative. A/S tires are great in summer and winter, and in between for the average driver--not autocrosser. However, summer tires are superior in warm weather, and snow tires are best in snow.

That said, the OP is in San Diego, so the need for anything other than summer (+33F) tires probably isn't an issue.
+1

I have 1000 miles on my new Michelin PS A/S (245 x45 and 285 x 40). Last 4 sets were Faulkners, Contis, Michelin MXV4 S8 and Dunlop RF.
We've had lot of rain this past month. Couldn't be happier with them. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

from experience with bridgestone & michelin summer tires on various bmws over the past 5 years - Michelins have better wear characteristics and are a more sophisticated handling tire. Bridgestones are brute force. They grip like crazy and throw you into corners. Michelins transition into corners more smoothly. Bridgestones are better suited for pure sports cars, whereas the Michelins have better breeding suitable for sport luxury vehicles.

I have a 550i sport and the Contis wore fast. Especially the rears. Personally, I would never put Bridgestones on my 550i. Pirelli P zero rosso, Conti sport contact 2 or 3, or Michelin Pilot Sport 2 are the best bet.

Good luck,
DRP
Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='902935' date='Jun 6 2009, 08:25 PM
from experience with bridgestone & michelin summer tires on various bmws over the past 5 years - Michelins have better wear characteristics and are a more sophisticated handling tire. Bridgestones are brute force. They grip like crazy and throw you into corners. Michelins transition into corners more smoothly. Bridgestones are better suited for pure sports cars, whereas the Michelins have better breeding suitable for sport luxury vehicles.

I have a 550i sport and the Contis wore fast. Especially the rears. Personally, I would never put Bridgestones on my 550i. Pirelli P zero rosso, Conti sport contact 2 or 3, or Michelin Pilot Sport 2 are the best bet.

Good luck,
DRP
+1 Nice write up.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I know that some members extrol the praises of General Exclaims, which are less costly than most other tires.

I still have the OEM Contis.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Members

My Ride: e60 , 6spd silver/black carbon intr....

or

These tires match up pretty closely, Michelins look modestly better drivers tire and slightly more $, Potenza's a litttle quieter but with strong reviews over many more miles (see tire rack).

Forum members have commented favorably on RE960's, but havent see much on this version of Michelins.

Think I'm inclined to go with the Bridgestones, looking for input and any commentary with regard to the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

THOUGHTS?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Members

or

THOUGHTS?
Hi, I am in the same situation right now. I'm contemplating between those two exact tires. How much did it cost and where did you get them? Costco quoted me $1158.00(with their $70 rebate) for the Michelin's + extra for the TPMS(from$4-$24 they said depending on what kind of sensor I have). It will be almost the same ordering it thru tirerack.com + American tires installation cost. I've read the review from tire rack is that the noise level of Bridgestone is good, it runs quiter. Another tire dealer I spoke with said he's a Michelin guy but he'll choose the Bridgestone Pole position over the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus because it handles better. The Michelin's are made in the US while the Bridgestones are made in Japan and/or Mexico.

How do you like it so far? My car still have the OEM Dunlop DSST run flat tires but it's beginning to shake at high speed and my BMW service center said its with the tires and I need to change all 4 tires.

All inputs are highly appreciated. Many thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Contributors

Opinions on tires will likely be all over the map because of different driving styles, economics, and locale ... there are good values in all seasons if you don't want to (or need to) be bothered by a winter-summer switch. Tread life and handling are trade-offs. Long tread life often translates to less "confident" handling. If you're an aggressive driver you may not want to look for a tire that won't keep up with your driving. If you want a boulevard-smooth ride stay away from RFTs ... but if you need the added security of driving away from a roadside flat they are the way to go.

Price compare on-line; retail stores will sometimes match same-tire prices (+ S&H charges of course). TireRack gets a lot of traffic and their sales reps are helpful. If you have a good local tire installer/balancer they are a very worthwhile visit. Shop thru the link in my signature for additional rebates there and other e-stores.

BTW, I went with General Exclaim UHPs for my e60 ... they are decent all-around tires. I have Dunlop Sport MAXX on my Roadster. I also have used Bridgestones in the past and gave serious consideration to the 960s when I bought the UHPs. If I had a more "powerful" e60 (read 550 instead of 530xi) I would have seriously wanted the Pilots!

Good shopping!

Quick Reply: New Tires Needed