E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New tires after only 18K on the OEMs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to dump the god-awful run flats. Ill be buying Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

If I were to need tires today on my XI, I would most def install the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I hope they keep them in production for a couple more years....
Old 01-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

While I was headed for the F1 Asym's recently, a buddy's experiences with the Michelin PS Plus AS attracted me, and I have them for now about a month. They have to be the best AS available, based on the challenges I've given them so far! I don't feel I've given up too much performance dry, but next summer will tell. I may end up with another set of wheels and the F1's, I've been wanting some nice aftermarket wheels anyway. But at this point I wholly endorse the Michelin recommendation.

Cal
Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Contributors

I put 20,000 miles on my Generals in the rear before replacing with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I'll never buy Generals again. The difference between those and Michelin is night and day.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Just a note of caution on the PS2 - it's over-rated and over priced for the performance it delivers. I've driven them extensively (and paid over $2000 for the replacement set); they are an OEM tire on the 911 (at well over $500 for the 295 or 305 rear) and they're really no better than other premium high performance summer tires. The all-season PS2 A/S does seem to be an excellent tire, but for summer tires I'd look elsewhere. Goodyear and Bridgestone make tires that perform at least as well or better than the PS2. Michelin benefits from the "it's expensive, so it must be good" effect, and I think that in the case of the PS2 that reputation is undeserved. Frankly, my other 911 OEM tire, the Pirelli P-Zero, gripped and cornered harder than the PS2 - and the RE-11s I run now are also in a different league - much grippier, better turn-in, more predictable on the break away (with a much higher threshold) while retaining a quiet and civil ride.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I really liked my general's UHP Exclaims when I had them on my e46, they have great wet traction and wear life only complaint is a softer sidewall. If you aren't racing around and cornering hard I think you will like them, plus great bang for your buck. That being said I currently have Toyo T1R's on my e60, they are a nice tire in all aspects, however they don't have the wearlife the Generals did. I personally will be going back to the generals when my toyo's are done because I don't do any aggressive driving so the soft sidewalls don't bother me.

Love the Avatar by the way
Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='1090540' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:53 AM
I put 20,000 miles on my Generals in the rear before replacing with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I'll never buy Generals again. The difference between those and Michelin is night and day.
Certainly .. for 2x the price you should expect that from Michelins.

That said, for a conservative driver the General or some of the other brands recommended may be acceptable tires.

From my personal experience with Michelins I found they were very good handlers for the first 1/4 of the tread life but became increasingly squirmy as the tread wore. So while they list high tread-life numbers I found that I was replacing mine when they were barely past half-worn. Now my experience goes back 5-6 years ... perhaps their tread-engineering has been improved. And, as I've said, it was my personal experience - someone else's may be different.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1090555' date='Jan 14 2010, 11:12 AM
Certainly .. for 2x the price you should expect that from Michelins.

That said, for a conservative driver the General or some of the other brands recommended may be acceptable tires.

From my personal experience with Michelins I found they were very good handlers for the first 1/4 of the tread life but became increasingly squirmy as the tread wore. So while they list high tread-life numbers I found that I was replacing mine when they were barely past half-worn. Now my experience goes back 5-6 years ... perhaps their tread-engineering has been improved. And, as I've said, it was my personal experience - someone else's may be different.

Well, I am referring to All-Season Michelins which are obviously going to be a much more rigid rubber than Summer tires which will go through the tread a LOT faster. So I would say if you're going to get Michelins for your E60, get the Pilot Sport A/S versions to get the best bang for your buck.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1090545' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:03 AM
the RE-11s I run now are also in a different league - much grippier, better turn-in, more predictable on the break away (with a much higher threshold) while retaining a quiet and civil ride.
The RE-11s only come in 275/40/18. No go...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1090546' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:04 AM
Love the Avatar by the way
I get that a lot Much better than the old one.

Quick Reply: New tires after only 18K on the OEMs!