E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New tires after only 18K on the OEMs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy low mileage ratings!

I bought this car a year and a half ago, and after a quick 18K miles, the rears are at their wear bars already! This really is a good thing, since the droning from the OEM Dunlops were wearing on my last nerve. The fronts still have a fair amount of tread left, so they're staying. In prioritizing my needs for a tire, it's come down to grip, road noise, comfort, and price. In the past, all my cars wore Goodyear F1 Supercar GS D3's. For those not familiar with this tire, it was designed, developed, and made (??) in Germany. It's incredible in the wet, turn in is extremely crisp, breaks very predictably, and grips like an obese cat on velcro. The downside is that they go out after 15K miles and they get loud towards the end of their tread life. No biggie.

I check around for the GS D3 and of course, they've been replaced by the F1 Asymmetrics. A few mouse clicks and I find out that Goodyear may have improved on the D3s. Very cool.

So...here's what I've narrowed the tire selection down to (in order of preference):

1. Goodyear F1 Asymmetric
2. Michelin PS2
3. Continental Extremecontact DSW

All are non-RFTs, which is peachy-fine with me, since I can't stand run flats. Time to pull the trigger soon!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Members

I put the Continental Extremecontact DSW on my 535XI w/18" about 2500 miles ago, they replaced the OEM RF's. Absolutely love them, super quiet and traction is fabulous. Here in Colorado, we recently had a bout with quite a bit of snow and ice, I usually drive the 4X4 pickup when weather is bad, DSW's on the 535 took me everyplace with ease.

Shopped around quite a lot, Tire Rack etc. Discount tire beat all deals. Check out customer feedback on both sites, its the only tire I searched that had all possitive reviews.

Run Flats? - never again!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Those Goodyears I could only get 8000-10000 mile on a set with my R32 VW ( ditto for my dad on his R32 and my brothers Cobb racing WRX that had the same size wheel and tire), I think a 100+ hp more RWD staggered Wheel car would eat threw them even faster.... just a theory of mine though, also these tires sucked so bad and most R32 owners were paying to swap them for Michelin PS2's from the Euro spec R32's fairly quickly...

If you don't care about runflats
the Sumotomo HZRIII's are good wet and dry, and Decent price... you will get the farm on this one though

18 k on a set of high performance tire that you can't rotate is fairly common, in these parts...I did like the dunlops , just the cost of replacement was a Joke. The Bridgestones (re50's and RE070R) last even shorter (look at the tread wear ratings) and The Kumho's are decent for the price.

I've had the Dunlops, the Sumotomo's and currently have the Contis... The Contis I'm not a fan of due to the excessive Yaw/Roll due to the soft side walls. The have very good traction /wear/grip though.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Contributors

The PS2's have long been the standard ... and you couldn't go wrong with them.

Do you have a spare tire & wheel in the trunk? If not, add that to the cost of going to non-RFTs. Lastly, every UHP tire is going to have a shorter tread life than other tires. Nature of the beast. I went with the all season General UHP conventional for the cold-winter months. If you don't require an all-season tread / tire your options are greater.

If you shop / buy at TireRack - click thru the link in my signature for additional rebates and deals whenever you buy on-line!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

You have a good selection below but I would add one more and that is the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Last April before switching to the M166 I installed the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric on the 124s and I was very happy for the short period of time I used them. When I got the M166 I did not want to spend the same kind of money so I went with the Hankook's. I was surprised with how quiet and comfortable the ride was with these tires. The Goodyear F1 Asymmetric were quiet but the Hankook's are even quieter and the handling is unbelievable and for 1/2 the price tire, they even have more thread than any other high performance tire. Then I found this article that shows the Hankooks outlaping the PS2. Here's the link to the Car & Driver article.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...v12_evo_page_10

My 2 cents! Good Luck.

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='1089804' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:31 PM
Holy low mileage ratings!

I bought this car a year and a half ago, and after a quick 18K miles, the rears are at their wear bars already! This really is a good thing, since the droning from the OEM Dunlops were wearing on my last nerve. The fronts still have a fair amount of tread left, so they're staying. In prioritizing my needs for a tire, it's come down to grip, road noise, comfort, and price. In the past, all my cars wore Goodyear F1 Supercar GS D3's. For those not familiar with this tire, it was designed, developed, and made (??) in Germany. It's incredible in the wet, turn in is extremely crisp, breaks very predictably, and grips like an obese cat on velcro. The downside is that they go out after 15K miles and they get loud towards the end of their tread life. No biggie.

I check around for the GS D3 and of course, they've been replaced by the F1 Asymmetrics. A few mouse clicks and I find out that Goodyear may have improved on the D3s. Very cool.

So...here's what I've narrowed the tire selection down to (in order of preference):

1. Goodyear F1 Asymmetric
2. Michelin PS2
3. Continental Extremecontact DSW

All are non-RFTs, which is peachy-fine with me, since I can't stand run flats. Time to pull the trigger soon!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Gary: good info on the Conti's. Thanks.

BBB: 8000-10000 on the Goodyears is even lower than the D3's. Will have to look into that now.

Luigi: I'm aware of the low mileage ratings on the UHPs, but 8-10K is surprisingly low.

Moop: will look into the Hankooks. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='1089990' date='Jan 13 2010, 04:35 PM
I'm aware of the low mileage ratings on the UHPs, but 8-10K is surprisingly low.
I agree ... that's very fast wear! Any suggestion that wheel alignment is contributing to your very rapid tread wear?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Not sure about the cause of the wear, since that was reported by BBB (see his post above). My guess is that the 250HP AWD has something to do with it.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by C5driver' post='1090005' date='Jan 13 2010, 03:49 PM
Not sure about the cause of the wear, since that was reported by BBB (see his post above). My guess is that the 250HP AWD has something to do with it.
250? lol...Apr Tuned...

No seriously I'd get one rotation out of the tires at 5k... usually I could not rotate them again at 10k , due to them being down to the cords...

Take a look at hankooks and Sumotomos.....
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='1090205' date='Jan 13 2010, 06:01 PM
Take a look at hankooks and Sumotomos.....
Roger that

Quick Reply: New tires after only 18K on the OEMs!