E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Steptronic - what is actually improved?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Please see signature

I have been reading reviews of the new 335i, most of which also praise the "new improved" automatic 'box. Several people on this forum have posted that this "new improved" 'box is likely to be coming to the E60 next March, which sounds like something worth waiting for.

However, I did a bit of digging, and now I am confused, because the 335i apparently uses the ZF 6HP19 automatic 'box, which appears to be the same one already used in the BMW 525i, 530i, and 120d for some time.

So what exactly is "new" about the Steptronic in the 335i? If it's the same transmission, is it the controller that is improved? Or is it actually mechanically different (improved)?

Also, I believe the 335d will get the bigger ZF 6HP26 (presumably to handle all the extra torque) - the same transmission that is currently used in BMW 525d, 530d, 535d, 545i, 730d (and in Jag S-Type R, XKR and Audi A8). I wonder if this will have the same improvement in shift speed? Has anyone seen a review of the 335d yet?

I would hate to order a new 335d (or 535d for March delivery) and find that it has the same mediocre Steptronic as my current 530d ...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by red-max' post='339665' date='Sep 28 2006, 10:23 PM
I have been reading reviews of the new 335i, most of which also praise the "new improved" automatic 'box. Several people on this forum have posted that this "new improved" 'box is likely to be coming to the E60 next March, which sounds like something worth waiting for.

However, I did a bit of digging, and now I am confused, because the 335i apparently uses the ZF 6HP19 automatic 'box, which appears to be the same one already used in the BMW 525i, 530i, and 120d for some time.

So what exactly is "new" about the Steptronic in the 335i? If it's the same transmission, is it the controller that is improved? Or is it actually mechanically different (improved)?

Also, I believe the 335d will get the bigger ZF 6HP26 (presumably to handle all the extra torque) - the same transmission that is currently used in BMW 525d, 530d, 535d, 545i, 730d (and in Jag S-Type R, XKR and Audi A8). I wonder if this will have the same improvement in shift speed? Has anyone seen a review of the 335d yet?

I would hate to order a new 335d (or 535d for March delivery) and find that it has the same mediocre Steptronic as my current 530d ...

The situation seems to be the following : 335i new steptronic, 330d old steptronic .
About 335d I don't know ..
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

all i know is that shifts are now 40percent quicker compared to other bmw autos
Old 09-28-2006, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by 700700' post='339712' date='Sep 28 2006, 05:22 PM
all i know is that shifts are now 40percent quicker compared to other bmw autos
Any literature link, please.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='339714' date='Sep 28 2006, 03:24 PM
Any literature link, please.

one that i can quickly locate

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/28/bmw...peed-automatic/
Old 09-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Little more info about the tranny from the 335 press release

A transmission for any driving style
As in the 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons, each new Coupe has as standard equipment a 6-speed manual transmission specifically tailored to its performance capability. In the 328i, it is a Getrag Type I, with the same ratios as in the 2006 325i Sedan - with relatively "short" 1st-, 2nd- and 3rd-gear ratios to enhance acceleration.

The 328xi has the heavier-duty Getrag Type H transmission, with slightly different ratios, not for performance or economy reasons, but because of internal design factors.

Because of its performance potential, the 335i is fitted with the still more robust
ZF Type G gearbox, but with "taller" 1st-4th ratios that take advantage of the N54 engine's torque and allow this high-performance model to attain higher speeds in each of these ratios. This effect is furthered by the 335i's numerically lower final drive ratio (335i 3.08:1, 328i 3.23:1).

In all three transmissions, 5th gear is direct (1.00:1), and 6th gear is an overdrive for quietness and fuel efficiency at cruising speeds. All 3 Series manual transmissions offer several tangible benefits:
? Highly effective synchronization of shifting
? Light, pleasing feel as the shift lever is moved from gear to gear
? Sporty shifting, via short shift "throws" from neutral to each gear
? Use of lifetime transmission oil, which never needs to be changed
? "Clean bearings" design; protects bearings from contamination, ensures adequate lubrication at all times and therefore enhances durability.

The new 3 Series Coupe now joins other BMW Series in offering the 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. Compared to the 5-speed unit it replaces, it's lighter, has a more effective torque converter, operates with fewer internal clutches, and can reduce fuel consumption, particularly at cruising speeds when 6th gear is in frequent use. In the 335i, and to appear in other models later, the automatic is the familiar ZF 6 HP 19, but in the new TU, or Technically Updated, form.

As in all other current BMW automatics, the STEPTRONIC feature offers drivers a choice of Normal, Sport and Manual modes. Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive ranges (P-R-N-D) are in the right gate of the shift lever. The Sport mode, in which shifts occur at higher engine speeds, is engaged by moving the lever leftward from D; the Manual mode is engaged when the driver manually chooses a gear by tipping the lever (or shift paddles) forward (for downshifts) or rearward (for upshifts).

Compared to the existing ZF 6 HP 19, as found in 2006 model year 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons, the TU has significant improvements:
? More effective damping of torsional vibrations in the torque converter, which have made it possible to keep the converter's lockup engaged more of the time. This means less slippage; the resulting fuel economy improvement is about 3%, and the driver experiences sharper response to the accelerator pedal.
? Quicker shifting response to the driver's performance demands - up to 40% quicker. This is satisfying to the driver, who experiences less lag between the time the accelerator pedal is depressed and the shift lever (or shift paddles) moved and the actual occurrence of a shift.
? Quicker shifts. Once a shift is actually initiated, the time it takes to complete the shift is reduced up to 50%. This was accomplished via a new hydraulic shifting system and more sophisticated electronic software.
? Finer adaptation to driving style and conditions. Within the Adaptive shift control, which adjusts shift characteristics to these variables, there are now three stages vs. the previous two.

This transmission has two additional features, both of which enhance enthusiastic driving:
? Direct selection of Manual mode. If, while driving in D, the driver manually downshifts via paddle or shift lever, the Manual mode engages. But if the driver makes no further manual shifts within 15 seconds, the transmission returns to automatic operation. This feature was first introduced on the '06 Z4 Roadsters and Coupes.
? Shift paddles on steering wheel, offered on the 335i only as a stand-alone option with the Sport Package. There are two paddles above the steering wheel's horizontal spokes. Similar to the shift lever, tipping the paddles rearward produces an upshift; tipping forward produces a downshift.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

Thats what I feelt when i droved the new 335i whith AT.I think that the Updated tranny is like night and day in comparsion too the old one
Old 09-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='339763' date='Sep 29 2006, 01:12 AM
Little more info about the tranny from the 335 press release
<snip>
The new 3 Series Coupe now joins other BMW Series in offering the 6-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission. Compared to the 5-speed unit it replaces, it's lighter, has a more effective torque converter, operates with fewer internal clutches, and can reduce fuel consumption, particularly at cruising speeds when 6th gear is in frequent use. In the 335i, and to appear in other models later, the automatic is the familiar ZF 6 HP 19, but in the new TU, or Technically Updated, form.

Compared to the existing ZF 6 HP 19, as found in 2006 model year 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons, the TU has significant improvements:
? More effective damping of torsional vibrations in the torque converter, which have made it possible to keep the converter's lockup engaged more of the time. This means less slippage; the resulting fuel economy improvement is about 3%, and the driver experiences sharper response to the accelerator pedal.
? Quicker shifting response to the driver's performance demands - up to 40% quicker. This is satisfying to the driver, who experiences less lag between the time the accelerator pedal is depressed and the shift lever (or shift paddles) moved and the actual occurrence of a shift.
? Quicker shifts. Once a shift is actually initiated, the time it takes to complete the shift is reduced up to 50%. This was accomplished via a new hydraulic shifting system and more sophisticated electronic software.
? Finer adaptation to driving style and conditions. Within the Adaptive shift control, which adjusts shift characteristics to these variables, there are now three stages vs. the previous two.
<snip>
Ah, thanks EBMCS03, I did not realise the significance of the TU, meaning Technically Updated.

From the datasheet, it looks like all the high-end coupe models get TU variants:

335i auto is ZF6HP19 TU
330d auto is ZF6HP26 TU
335d auto is ZF6HP26 TU

So the question is, will we get these Technically Updated auto transmissions in the E60 in March?

A 530d or 535d with the improved TU transmission and factory fitted paddles that work in D mode sounds very appealing...
Old 09-29-2006, 04:51 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Whispers have it that despite BMW's assertion that there was nothing wrong with the steptronic on the 5er, denying that transmission slam even exists for instance.

Privately they were furious with the quality of the ZF transmission and left ZF in no doubt that unless they came up quickly with an improved product they were liable to get the chop when the F10 is produced.

ZF have obviously responded.

BMW cannot reveal this or they would be admitting a production failing and get bombarded with lawsuits from those of us who are very unhappy with our steptronics.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

I am very unhappy whith my due too drivetrain clunk

Quick Reply: New Steptronic - what is actually improved?