E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New Ride...Need some help with mods...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right, I saw a 16 year-old on here get bashed for his thread on his Bimmer, so I'll go ahead and mention this right up front. I'm 19 and I got a 535xi for my birthday about two weeks ago. Yeah, "someone" bought it for me, but I don't feel the need to defend myself in saying that I didn't ask for it, I was offered it, something which also happens quite rarely. Anyways, with that being said, I'm enjoying the ride, I joined a couple of days ago and after seeing all these pics of 5ers with mods it kinda had me thinking about how I could make my car "unique," I guess would be the term.

Now, I don't "someone" will be plopping down more cash for me to blow on extras for the car, which is understandable, so keep in mind that I can't go all out for a new Dinan suspension or anything. I've been looking at sites, mostly just for laughs, like Alpina and Dinan and then Bavauto, the first two being ridiculously expensive and Bav having nothing.

I don't anything particular in mind as far as what I want done. No offense to those with the M-Aero kit, but I think having that exact aero kit kinda makes it like a wannabe M5. Maybe it's just me and my silly complexes, but if I were to invest in a kit it would be something, again, "unique." I'm fine with the car's rims but I know those are expensive so if I wanted to change those i may end up blowing everything on 1500 rims. Then there's the intake, exhaust, exhaust tips, etc. I live in Chicago, go to school in Auburn, and I'm not taking the Bimmer down there, atleast not this year, so it'll be driven in the snow. I did not know of this or hear of this before, but someone mentioned cold air intakes during the winter freeze up without a heater? My dad may take it for a spin three times a week or so, so I don't see that happening, but in case he doesn't is it possible??

I'll post up pics if need be, sadly I misplaced the battery charger to the camera and the battery is dead. I'll figure it out, I'll use the camera phone if need be. But I don't think pics would be necessary, but if they are just let me know. I'll submit myself and say that I don't know that much about the technical parts of cars, so I may ask silly questions from time to time. Plus, we're originally a Lexus family so this would be our first Bimmer too. So bear with me at times.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

congrats on the xi. PM me or email me if I can help you with anything
Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson Edition 6.4L OHV Power Stroke Turbo Diesel V8 (350hp/650lbft) Blue Flame Package Dual Alternators Touch Screen Navigation + DVD Player Uplifter Switches Trailer Brake Controller Traction Control Rapid Heat Supplemental Cab Heater Rear View Camera Power Slide Moonroof

Welcome to E60.net, and the xi family!

Also the M-aero kit isn't to make our E60's look like the M5, it just has a much more agressive look then the original bumper, rear, and side skirts in my opinion. Anyone that knows BMW's or car's in general will know the difference between an E60 with the M-tech kit and a M5 from any angle they see it.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60714' post='629380' date='Jul 21 2008, 04:46 PM
No offense to those with the M-Aero kit, but I think having that exact aero kit kinda makes it like a wannabe M5.

Just by that comment, I could had known you are some 16 year old . You are not out of your mind right? M Aerodynamic kit is made by BMW and comes standard on 550i Sport in US and standard on M Sport Package in Europe.

My dad may take it for a spin three times a week or so
ahm ahm..!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Welcome to the xi family. Let me know if you need any help or advice on getting started with your mods. As you may have read on here already, we have limitations when it comes to Wheels and Suspension for the XI, so feel free to hit me up.

Congrats on the car and welcome aboard.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

to the forum -- congrats on the new car. PM C (Calton), the resident xi expert.

+1 on NerWeezy and r1racer for mods, might want to PM John@EuroRev as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

i got mine when i was 18 so no biggie the forum is a great place enjoy!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm 19 as well. Post those pics, can't wait to see.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='629466' date='Jul 21 2008, 06:55 PM
Just by that comment, I could had known you are some 16 year old . You are not out of your mind right? M Aerodynamic kit is made by BMW and comes standard on 550i Sport in US and standard on M Sport Package in Europe.

ahm ahm..!

Well, I did the dirty work for you by mentioning how old I was in my first few sentences, so you mighta done a little extra thinking there. Still, I don't think your reading retention rate is running on all ten cylinders, so I'll mention again, I'm 19, not 16. There's a big difference between sophomore in high school and a sophomore in college- or atleast I'd like to think so. Please remember, I also stated I was in Illinois so no European M Sport Package for me, and I also mentioned I opted for the 535xi, so what the 550i has doesn't concern me. Also, wrong!!! The 550i does not come STANDARD with the M aero, you need to get the sports package and if you don't, you buy the kit separately for 2 grand. Please check yourself next time, especially when BMWUSA's website is open 24/7 for you to check yourself. I dunno what "ahm ahm" means, but if that's you clearing your throat thinking you found the treasure that is who "someone" is, I'm sure most people on here figured it out right away while it took me saying "my dad______" for it to ring a bell.

With that being said, the M Aero looks nice, no doubt, and I may opt for it later on, but I'm just looking for some cheap boosts totaling under $1000. I know the Sprint Boost is about 300 or so, a cold air intake I'm not sure about. Can someone verify if the cold air intake does in fact freeze in cold (Chicago) weather? I find it a bit silly since I think there are many people that drive their cars with cold air intakes and sometimes do leave the car off for some days.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nyceric03' post='629522
I'm 19 as well. Post those pics, can't wait to see.
Yeah, I know. My buds are dying to see it too. It's just this stupid camera situation which may force me to use the camera phone. 2.0 megapixels wont be that bad, would they?

Quick Reply: New Ride...Need some help with mods...