E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New owner...a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Greetings,

First time poster here. Got to this forum from the BMW Roadfly Forums. A couple of questions:

1 - Is there any way to be able to leave the key in the car without having the "key left in ignition" chime ring continously? If I remove the key, the chime stops, but when I re-insert the key, the chime resumes. Also, if I leave the key in, and open the door, egt out and close door, the cime stops. BUT, when I go to get in the car the next morning, the chime begins as soon as I open the door (because the key is in the ignition)...I park in the garage and would like to just leave the key in all the time.

2 - Any way to make the trunk NOT open automatically? This is my only dislike so far...the automatic truck opening, and the force/speed in which it opens. I like to be able to open the trunk, get something out, and then lay the trunk lid down...not close/latch it...like when it's raining. As it is...the ONLY way the trunk lid can NOT be wide open, is to have it closed and latched.

3 - Is there a way to set the "setpoint" for the air pressure monitoring system. Suppose I want to have a little more than normal air pressure in my tires...can this be done? How do you findout what the system considers to be the right pressure...is it the value on the door jam?

Thanks in advance for the repsonses.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Where do you live? I'll send some guys pick up... er... show you how to do that stuff.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. im not so sure about the key chiming. it just thinks youre accidentally leaving your key in the car. for sure you could leave the key in there and just ignore the chiming whenever you open the door. other members i know they leave the key on the seat or on the boot next to the shifter instead. for the trunk, you could open it manually. just unlock all doors of the car, then press the button at the trunk. for the air pressure, you could always put in the amount of air you want. if the tpms comes on in the idrive, you could reset it. hope this helps. enjoy the forums.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your third question about the tire pressure monitors, you can set the air pressure at any amount you want. The sensors only pick up "differences" that could signal low air pressure in a single tire.

Thus, you can set all four tires at 40psi or 28psi without a problem. If one of the tires drops, for example, 5 psi's lower than the other tires, the sensor will pick up the difference.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Hi Allen,

Perhaps we are more aware of security in the UK, but I would never leave the key in the car even in a garage. How secure is the garage door for example, does it really have better locks than your car? It would certainly be a problem if the insurance company determined that I had left the car overnight unlocked with the key in the ignition and it was stolen, even if it is in a garage.

The trunk can be opened using the rubber press switch on the lip above the number plate by the way.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

LM
Old 12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='507793' date='Dec 17 2007, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your third question about the tire pressure monitors, you can set the air pressure at any amount you want. The sensors only pick up "differences" that could signal low air pressure in a single tire.

Thus, you can set all four tires at 40psi or 28psi without a problem. If one of the tires drops, for example, 5 psi's lower than the other tires, the sensor will pick up the difference.
Correct except that once you get the pressures to the desired psi, you should perform an initialization of the FTM (or TPMS) system by going into the settings menu of iDrive. This will "teach" the car the pressure that you wish to run so it can use it as a baseline...
Old 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Just wait till you launch your first Starbucks off the trunk............... truly something amazing to see
Old 12-18-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Thanks for the replies...I think I wasn't clear about the trunk issue. I want to be able to open the trunk (either with FOB or manual switch at trunk lid), get something out, then lay the lid down...not latch it...just have it down and not latched. It is either closed and latched, or wide open. It's really only a problem because the lid is SO hard to close...without grabbing the top of the trunk lid with yur hand and slamming it down....now you have hand prints on the lid...all the time... something my wife dosn't see as a problem, but I know you guys understand...

BTW...great forum. I was starting to think that the really good forums were reserved for the older model cars, due to experience and issues with older models...nice surprise finding this one...thanks to all!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Originally Posted by Allen' post='508069' date='Dec 18 2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replies...I think I wasn't clear about the trunk issue. I want to be able to open the trunk (either with FOB or manual switch at trunk lid), get something out, then lay the lid down...not latch it...just have it down and not latched. It is either closed and latched, or wide open. It's really only a problem because the lid is SO hard to close...without grabbing the top of the trunk lid with yur hand and slamming it down....now you have hand prints on the lid...all the time... something my wife dosn't see as a problem, but I know you guys understand...

BTW...great forum. I was starting to think that the really good forums were reserved for the older model cars, due to experience and issues with older models...nice surprise finding this one...thanks to all!
I don't think you can just have the trunk lid resting, if you will, on the latch. I haven't been able to achieve that. As to closing it without having to put handprints on the lid, the 5ers have little indentations in the interior side of the trunklid which are designed for closing the lid. You have to develop a technique of gripping the indentations, pulling down forcefully, and then getting your hand or hands out of the closing lid. Most of the time it works for me, sometimes the latch doesn't catch, then I have to do it again. I don't know if your 335 has such indentations.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Allen' post='508069
I don't think you can just have the trunk lid resting, if you will, on the latch. I haven't been able to achieve that. As to closing it without having to put handprints on the lid, the 5ers have little indentations in the interior side of the trunklid which are designed for closing the lid. You have to develop a technique of gripping the indentations, pulling down forcefully, and then getting your hand or hands out of the closing lid. Most of the time it works for me, sometimes the latch doesn't catch, then I have to do it again. I don't know if your 335 has such indentations.
I agree that the problem here is that Allen hasn't learned the proper trunk closing technique. The handles (indentations) for the proper trunk closing are present on the E90 as well as many older BMWs (the E39 had them as well as others.)

Once you learn how to close the trunk using the handles, this problem goes away...

Quick Reply: New owner...a couple of questions