E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 535xi, E90M3, E92M3

Originally Posted by KyleB
That would be the headlight baffle, number 2 in this diagram:

RealOEM.com * BMW E60 530i WHEELHOUSE/ENGINE SUPPORT

It's cold bonded and riveted aluminum. I don't know how bad off yours is, but I have seen what the repair attempts look like, and they're not good. It only takes a couple of whacks with a body hammer to cause it to completely split in two. Again, these panels are all bonded aluminum and should only be replaced in a damage situation.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but it's very easy to get in over your head when you're talking about structural repairs on an E60. Last year I saw a car where someone tried to repair the very panel you're describing. They ended up sending the car to BMW for a full right apron replacement to the tune of $8000, because the failed repair attempt not only trashed the baffle panel but the mating seam where the baffle meets the apron.
Hi Kyle, I totally appreciate your input as its quite obvious you're knowledgeable in the industry. I know exactly what you're referring to with how easy it is to split..etc. We were able to straighten it out as it really wasn't bad at all. I'll show you the before/after pics as soon as I have a minute to upload them (hopefully tonight) In the pictures, you'll be able to see the bend and the repair after.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:43 PM
New Members

Just so you're know, this was the area that was pushed in a bit. (but on the left side)
Attached Thumbnails New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi-damaged-area.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony
Hi Kyle, I totally appreciate your input as its quite obvious you're knowledgeable in the industry. I know exactly what you're referring to with how easy it is to split..etc. We were able to straighten it out as it really wasn't bad at all. I'll show you the before/after pics as soon as I have a minute to upload them (hopefully tonight) In the pictures, you'll be able to see the bend and the repair after.
good deal, glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:54 PM
New Members

Bit of an update here..

April 26th, my guy came over and helped me with making sure everything was straight and lines up

And this

It probably happened when the headlight was hit and pushed in the area. So we took it from this, slowly shaped it back..
here you can slowly see the progression.

hammering away..

At this point we were pretty darn close, so we test fitted the fender to see how everything lined up

Here it is, pretty close to it's final form...

In this picture, you can see the dented strut as well. This is on order, and should arrive on tuesday

Finished the massaging and lined up the fender.

This is the slide hammer that we used to pull the bent corner and straighten it.

Getting it closer to its final form.

Just a bit more..

Now we test fit the headlight/fender/hood.

in these 2 pictures, the fender is bolted on, except I haven't tightened down the final bolt on the very top up by the pillar.

Ran out of time for today, Now I'm waiting on some parts but I probably won't be able to do much until I get back from Anaheim in May.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Nice work! That wheel must have taken one hell of a smack to bend the strut. I'd be concerned the wheel bearing suffered.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by audiophool
Nice work! That wheel must have taken one hell of a smack to bend the strut. I'd be concerned the wheel bearing suffered.
The tire on the wheel popped, and with moving it around the storage yard, the tire eventually came off the beed and was rubbing up against it. The strut is a very thin metal.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, Black Sapphire, M5 front, 2piece Niche Touring II, Nitto Invo, H&R

As someone that's seen a ton of rebuilt BMW's, Mercedes', Lexus, this small damage is seriously nothing in the grand scheme of things. You're going to get a fantastic car when this is done for 1/4 of the price of a non-salvage title.

People will typically hear the word 'frame damage' and run for the hills, but here in B.C, ICBC will write anything off when there's frame damage, and professionals can fix frames back to near-factory specs anyways.

Good on you and best of luck with the repair. Definitely go M5 front bumper from the start, you'll be glad you did.