E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 535xi, E90M3, E92M3
Default New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi

Hi guys, I figured I'd post a bit of an introduction. My name is Anthony and I'm also a BMW enthusiast. I currently have an E92 M3 that pretty much sits in the garage. I recently found a salvage 2008 535xi with the M sport package, which will be perfect since I can drive it year round. So, I'm in the process of rebuilding it. (Currently looking for parts)

The damage isn't bad (I've worked on worse)This is a fairly straight forward rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi-img_20140410_104724.jpg   New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi-img_20140418_110456.jpg  
Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 PM
New Members

and a pic of my M3
Attached Thumbnails New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi-img_00000924_hdr.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Doesn't look too bad. Hopefully the radiator support is still straight? Shouldn't take too much to get this fixed if you're handy with a bit of body work and slight aligning. Awesome E92 M3!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 PM
New Members

Thanks, It's very minor. lower control arm, shock, and bang out a piece behind the headlight.
New headlight, bumper.. and fender.. and a few misc. little pieces that were damaged in the process and its good.
I don't do any bodywork, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. A friend owns a body shop and said he'd come over one night and align everything for me. Then it's just the salvage inspection.

I'm thinking of doing the M5 front bumper.

My wife wants me to sell the M3.. I just can't.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:55 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Dr. Anthony
Thanks, It's very minor. lower control arm, shock, and bang out a piece behind the headlight.
New headlight, bumper.. and fender.. and a few misc. little pieces that were damaged in the process and its good.
I don't do any bodywork, but I'm pretty mechanically inclined. A friend owns a body shop and said he'd come over one night and align everything for me. Then it's just the salvage inspection.

I'm thinking of doing the M5 front bumper.

My wife wants me to sell the M3.. I just can't.
That sounds like less damage than would total a car. Are you sure there isn't more?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM
New Members

Yup, that's pretty much it. No other damage at all. Gotta remember, in Canada BMW parts are extremely expensive. Bodyshops buy from the dealers so a quote to repair doesn't take much to reach a high enough value where they'd consider writing it off.

From my experience, insurance companies up here (in alberta anyway) don't really try screwing you over when you have a claim. I've seen cases where there was even less damage. They weigh out the odds.

Total cost of claim.
ie:
$1500 for rental
$10,000 for repair
$3,000 for "additional repair"
2 months waiting for parts from various sources.
misc..etc etc..

Then they calculate what they can sell the car for as is at auction vs time/money. Also, it's possible that you can have full replacement insurance (any accident with X% damage will be written off and paid out for what the owner paid. (This type of insurance costs extra)
Old 04-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Very interesting, Great info!

Yup, that's pretty much it. No other damage at all. Gotta remember, in Canada BMW parts are extremely expensive. Bodyshops buy from the dealers so a quote to repair doesn't take much to reach a high enough value where they'd consider writing it off.

From my experience, insurance companies up here (in alberta anyway) don't really try screwing you over when you have a claim. I've seen cases where there was even less damage. They weigh out the odds.

Total cost of claim.
ie:
$1500 for rental
$10,000 for repair
$3,000 for "additional repair"
2 months waiting for parts from various sources.
misc..etc etc..

Then they calculate what they can sell the car for as is at auction vs time/money. Also, it's possible that you can have full replacement insurance (any accident with X% damage will be written off and paid out for what the owner paid. (This type of insurance costs extra)
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

You may already be aware of this, but just in case you aren't:

The entire front structure of the E60 is cold-bonded and riveted aluminum. If there is any damage to any of the structural components forward of the firewall, they must be replaced. i.e. there is no 'pulling' if you measure the front rails and they're out of spec, even a small amount (1 to 2mm). If you measure that left front rail and its over or in, by any amount, you're replacing that rail. obviously if you have structural damage that isnt repaired properly, the car isn't going to drive straight and none of your body panels will line up.

apologies if you already knew this, but just in case i thought id throw it out there. the first thing id do before i ordered the first part on that car is get it up on a bench and measure it just to be certain.

good luck with the car.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:15 PM
New Members

Just a bit of an update.

Friday April 25th, more parts arrived. The headlight and fender both came in (both OEM)
My bodyguy is coming over on saturday to straighten out the mounting part behind the headlight. He's a journeyman and up until christmas, has owned his body shop for many many years. He retired and sold it to a ford dealer. Anyway, he's coming over with his tools to straighten out the only lightly bent piece. I'll take some pictures of this and show the process. I should have the fender and headlight on/aligned/mounted tomorrow.

Just waiting on suspension parts and the Front bumper.

I'm not sure if I'm wanting to go with the stock Msport bumper, or maybe go with an aftermarket M5 style front bumper.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

)
My bodyguy is coming over on saturday to straighten out the mounting part behind the headlight.
That would be the headlight baffle, number 2 in this diagram:

RealOEM.com * BMW E60 530i WHEELHOUSE/ENGINE SUPPORT

It's cold bonded and riveted aluminum. I don't know how bad off yours is, but I have seen what the repair attempts look like, and they're not good. It only takes a couple of whacks with a body hammer to cause it to completely split in two. Again, these panels are all bonded aluminum and should only be replaced in a damage situation.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but it's very easy to get in over your head when you're talking about structural repairs on an E60. Last year I saw a car where someone tried to repair the very panel you're describing. They ended up sending the car to BMW for a full right apron replacement to the tune of $8000, because the failed repair attempt not only trashed the baffle panel but the mating seam where the baffle meets the apron.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited by KyleB; 04-26-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: New member - Rebuilding an 08 535xi